U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2008, 05:59 PM

499 posts, read 1,088,113 times
Default freedom of speach question

was reading the press herald this evening online, and came across a short article about gorham high school.

MaineToday.com | News Update: Gorham police probe anti-Semitic drawings

Seems someone has been leaving anti-semetic drawings around the school. They are considering whether it is a hate crime. Now I am not saying right or wrong, but wouldn't something like this fall under freedom of speach? can't someone create/say something that some may feel is disgusting and wrong, but the 1st amendment guarentees our right to say it?

If I make a sign and place in my front yard saying I hate islam, can I be arrested for a hate crime? What if I park my car with the sign in front of an islam families home - same thing?

just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 06:22 PM

8,748 posts, read 11,378,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
was reading the press herald this evening online, and came across a short article about gorham high school.

MaineToday.com | News Update: Gorham police probe anti-Semitic drawings

Seems someone has been leaving anti-semetic drawings around the school. They are considering whether it is a hate crime. Now I am not saying right or wrong, but wouldn't something like this fall under freedom of speach? can't someone create/say something that some may feel is disgusting and wrong, but the 1st amendment guarentees our right to say it?

If I make a sign and place in my front yard saying I hate islam, can I be arrested for a hate crime? What if I park my car with the sign in front of an islam families home - same thing?

just curious.
I was under the impression the hate part of a hate crime assumes a crime had been committed. The hate part is just added to the seriousness of the crime. It's more feel good legislation to appease the oppressed. If the drawings were graffiti I guess they could stretch it into a hate crime though you really have to have someone in particular you're hating to justify a hate crime I would think. They could get you on criminal threatening or terrorizing with a hate attachment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine