U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:33 AM

2,712 posts, read 3,582,455 times

Advertisements

I just had to start this thread, as a help to other "greenies" like me, from away, that maybe you don't have to be as frustrated as I have been this month.

Despite the deposit on alcohol and soft drink containers, I have found that recycling to the level that I have been doing it -- from north to south and east to west, urban and rural since the late 60s when I helped start the Ecology Action moment -- can be very frustrating.
1. The "redemption centers" are everywhere but the ONLY take things with the deposit and not necessarily ALL of them (I have a Sams brand water bottle that one of the centers here in Milo would not take)

2. Many of the smaller communities have neither curbside pickup nor recycling at the "dump."

3. Most of the rural folks (even those working redemption centers and "dumps") have no idea where one can recycle. The best suggestions I got were "somewhere in Bangor" and "in Dover there is one, but it's only for local folks"

4. The state recycling web site is less than user-friendly and useful, though after MUCH digging around I did manage to find a Word doc that listed, by community, all the known recycling centers, as of a couple of years ago. Don't ask me where I found it... but I did save to the desktop so if you need a copy, DM and with an email address and I will forward it to you.
I have dropped most of my stuff at Bangor (I have a Bangor PO box, and I "assume" that qualifies me to drop there ) but they had no place for the non-deposit #1s (which there are FAR TOO MANY OF in my life). The list says that there is a place in Dover-Foxcroft, and I will eventually check it out, as they seem to take EVERYTHING, but I hope they don't ask for proof of residence.

Yeah, I know I am (more than a little) wacko on this topic, as well as my other pet peeve, plastic shopping bags. But I do play well with others and usually my insanity stays under my hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 AM

7,151 posts, read 4,418,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post

Yeah, I know I am (more than a little) wacko on this topic, ... But I do play well with others and usually my insanity stays under my hat.
haha ... good for you and thanks for the info, and chuckle, both

of course the real fun challenge is to find ways to consume as little as possible that requires containers to begin with. Could be a great and sporting competition

I have one son who seems to generate Mt. Everest sized piles of trash and recyclables (good news is: he does recycle faithfully) ... easy for me to beat him since he drinks beer and pop and eats take-out and microwave (mmmmm ... Homer Loves!) ... while I sit at home and munch little more than prunes bought in bulk these days

Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 AM

6,301 posts, read 8,152,991 times
Recycling of materials other than copper, brass, aluminum and steel is not profitable in Maine due to the distances involved. The highest and best use of old newsprint is as fuel. It has over 8,000 BTUs per pound as compared to coal at 12,000 BTUs per pound, but we don't have to haul it from Pennsylvania to burn and newsprint as fuel produces no acid rain. It's a wonderful thing. Our town burns its newsprint and corrugated cartons. However, if somebody wants to come here and pick up our newsprint and cartons and pay us for it we'll be happy to negotiate a price.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Recycling of materials other than copper, brass, aluminum and steel is not profitable in Maine due to the distances involved. The highest and best use of old newsprint is as fuel. It has over 8,000 BTUs per pound as compared to coal at 12,000 BTUs per pound, but we don't have to haul it from Pennsylvania to burn and newsprint as fuel produces no acid rain. It's a wonderful thing. Our town burns its newsprint and corrugated cartons. However, if somebody wants to come here and pick up our newsprint and cartons and pay us for it we'll be happy to negotiate a price.
Once we get a woodburner going, the quantity of burnable paper that we take in will be put to good use.

As always the best option is to use what you take in on site. "Waste nothing but the squeal" as my grandpa used to say... and what I am aiming for in the long run.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:23 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,885,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

Now that's talkin'! Scrap metal recycling is a profitable thing! That is, if you can keep other persons from stealing it first! We much prefer plastic grocery bags as they are flexible and weigh less...we reuse 'em for kitchen waste. Any paper we generate (a lot) is used to get the woodstove fired up on the weekends. Has saved us a lot of money on kindling.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:51 AM

8,759 posts, read 11,695,127 times
As NMLM stated it isn't profitable to recycle around here. Freeport started a recycling program with the goal of 50% recycling by 2010. They stopped it after a year as they were buried in newspaper, cardboard, glass and everything else. It was amazing the volume of stuff they had to deal with. There were no buyers so they buried it and filled the dump to overflowing.....great pre-planning.
They still encourage people to seperate stuff for recycling but I won't do it as they just send it all to the MERC plant in Westbrook dump it all back together and burn it. So what's the point in seperating it in the first place?.....waste of time. If everyone knew it was just getting recombined and burned they wouldn't bother seperating it. I take bottles back to the redemption place once a month or so and I do take my used oil to the dump on occasion as they don't charge you to leave it. We have one day a year we can take one pickup load of metal,construction debris, stumpage, and that sort of thing to the recycling center (Dump) for no fee and that's it. They still charge for anything over a pick up load and for appliances, tv's and that sort of stuff. THEY WON'T TAKE PAINT ANY TIME. I did my part to help cut down on news print though I cancelled my subscription to the Portland Press Herald.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 PM

2,052 posts, read 2,892,044 times
We started out gung-ho with recycling until it was evident that the town gets almost nothing for the various categories of items. We still have one of the last landfills in the state.

I noticed a lot of debris, tires and a few appliances tossed in the woods during my hundreds of miles of hunting last fall.A lot of people can't reconcile spending $15 to dump a couple of bags of construction debris.

Plastic grocery bags are handy for hauling my used motor oil and florescent light bulbs to recycle in the vernal pool out back.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:21 PM

7,713 posts, read 7,881,750 times
We have very little trash, usually one small bag (about the size of a 5 gallon can)weekly. I save all jars for canning, reuse any plastic containers.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
We have very little trash, usually one small bag (about the size of a 5 gallon can)weekly. I save all jars for canning, reuse any plastic containers.
Admirable! We are still struggling to only fill my tiny trash can each week... two more cats in the house seems to have made a BIG difference... and I don't have a "back in the woods" yet for disposal of their litter. If it weren't for that, the tiny metal trash can would more than do... as long as the trash collectors let it live. (they seem to pitch it down with much more vigor than the collectors in NC did)

Old 03-28-2008, 02:32 PM

6,301 posts, read 8,152,991 times
"I do take my used oil to the dump on occasion as they don't charge you to leave it."

You can sell used oil to truck and bus garages. They use it to heat their buildings. You can also use it as bar oil for the chain saw in winter. It runs out too fast in the summer. I have also heard of people mixing in a quart of motor oil with each tank of Diesel. In that application the quart of used oil is worth a dollar. They say they see no difference in peformance and the fuel filter will take out any solids.

Disclaimer: I have NOT done this in my Kubota tractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine