Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 06:16 AM

34 posts, read 72,866 times

Advertisements

I would just go online and look at airlines, car rental, Amazon, etc and see who best meets your needs and schedule. And see if any are simply seasonal. I know thanksgiving is a huge travel season as well as December holidays.

I’m pretty sure there are plenty of stay at home jobs that just require a phone and internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 09:28 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,702 times
It's a good idea to get a CDL so you can drive a snow plow and get paid well. I've considered getting a CDL myself.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:00 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disquisitive View Post
For the first time, I have a job with a winter layoff. It pays enough to meet basic expenses, but not enough to cover any savings or unexpected expenses. I'm struggling to come up with any additional income ideas. I don't have the physique or equipment to do snow removal, and my job during the rest of the year won't allow for any additional side-jobs at the same time.

What do you all do to make ends meet?

I've known lots of people with seasonal "summer" jobs working from April through October. Some make it through Christmas before getting laid off. One thing to think about is reducing your expenses if at all possible... rent a room rather than apartment, for example. ... or get a roommate to share expenses... or look for a year round job, but it won't be in a garden center...not in Maine anyway. Some of the people I know make Christmas wreaths once laid off in October. Others get employment in retail during the Christmas season (November-December). Others draw unemployment and scrape by until late spring. Some business people have contracts for snow removal and need someone to drive a snowplow and not need a CDL just a pick up truck with a plow on it. If you could get a summer job with DOT, they can help you get a CDL. Then it could become a year-round job.

Selling on eBay or Amazon is possible, but I wouldn't call it easy. I know a couple people with about 20 years' experience selling on each one. It's alot of work getting stuff to sell and listing it--not to mention being able to store it and find it when it sells, packaging appropriately and getting it shipped.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:14 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disquisitive View Post
That's an interesting thought, but wouldn't that be a year round job?

My area is pretty much all agricultural.
So it seems you want to work seasonally in the garden center rather than potentially get a year round job? People in your area must eat and buy groceries and possibly drive cars and buy gasoline. So apply at a grocery store or gas station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: