U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:14 PM

511 posts, read 565,037 times

Advertisements

Doozer are you out there? I haven't seen any responses from you to all the posts. I beleive you meant well but the choice of words seem to have offended some. Another great trait of mainers is, we are very forgiving, atleast the ones I know. Anyway I am sure that you are a nice person who is just trying to find his way and there have been a lot of good posts with some great advice. Keep us posted on your progress of settling in. I really do wish you the best of luck and hope that you find your comfort zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 05:41 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,090,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am not NORML.

And you can not prove otherwise.

It would have been worse if you had 'papers' that prove you are normal.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:52 PM

2,349 posts, read 3,523,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
After a while I would think that if people were not making the effort to get to know me I might just stop blaming everyone else and perhaps take a look at how others perceive ME
1st of all......I do not appreciate being singled out for some personal attack by you. We clearly do not agree on much. And maybe you should explain to me where in my post you were able to make some connection that I have no friends....and that I would be lucky if the nieghbors called the fire dept if my house was on fire. I cannot believe ANYONE would talk like this to another person like this or even(agree with those sentiments). If you read ALL of my posts..(as I have yours) you would see I was not painting all of Maine with one stroke. NOR WAS I BLAMING ANYONE. I gave a very credible reason as to why I think a lot of "Maineah's" seem to be so stand offish....which was not insulting!!

Is it wrong to say that many people here that are life long residence have a foundation of friends and family and may not be as outgoing as say...people in other states that are more of a transient population and want to meet new people.

It is the personal attack and this elite superiority attitude that I find offensive...not all Maineah's have it, but some wear it as a badge of honor, and make references that basically say......you can leave if you don't like it.

And frankley I don't need to do anything.....it is what it is. And clearly...there are others that see it too.

Last edited by flycessna; 04-02-2008 at 06:02 PM..

Old 04-02-2008, 06:04 PM

21,889 posts, read 28,732,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
It would have been worse if you had 'papers' that prove you are normal.
No papers here, though I do have a few pipes.

draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Old 04-02-2008, 06:18 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,712,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
1st of all......I do not appreciate being singled out for some personal attack by you. We clearly do not agree on much. But if you read ALL of my posts..(as I have yours) you would see I was not painting all of Maine with one stroke. NOR WAS I BLAMING ANYONE. I gave a very credible reason as to why I think a lot of "Maineah's" seem to be so stand offish....which was not insulting!!

Is it wrong to say that many people here that are life long residence have a foundation of friends and family and may not be as outgoing as say...people in other states that are more of a transient population and want to meet new people.

It is the personal attack and this elite superiority attitude that I find offensive...not all Maineah's have it, but some wear it as a badge of honor, and make references that basically say......you can leave if you don't like it.

And frankley I don't need to do anything.....it is what it is. And clearly...there are others that see it too.
Well it seems like the majority of the posts agree with my assessment of the situation. When you lump us all together and call us ignorant I take THAT as a personal attack. That's why you were singled out if that's what you want to call it. You used the word ignorant for people not acceptintg your take on things. You're right we don't see eye to eye on things ...so be it. Just don't expect people to sit idly by while you call us all ignorant and then ask us to throw our arms around you whenever you grace us with your presence. You harbor these deep feelings of resentment toward natives yet you want us to love you. We're not stupid and can generally see through people like you. I'll do my best to avoid posting around you in the future. You know if you were my neighbor...I'd probably still bring you over a bottle of maple syrup though I wouldn't tell you it was from me.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 PM

11,158 posts, read 11,237,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
LMAO! Pit parties! I think maybe you and I might have unknowingly attended a few together. That's hysterical, those and quarry parties.
Been there - done it, then my kids managed to find the same pits and quarries with their friends! Ahhhh... life in a small town.
pit parties and quarry parties, sounds like the small town of hallowell

Old 04-02-2008, 06:22 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,587,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Oh, but some do so seem to enjoy doing it here...

Old 04-02-2008, 06:26 PM

7,713 posts, read 7,892,091 times
Tickle tickle............... http://bestsmileys.com/lol/10.gif (broken link)

Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 PM

2,349 posts, read 3,523,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Well it seems like the majority of the posts agree with my assessment of the situation. When you lump us all together and call us ignorant I take THAT as a personal attack. That's why you were singled out if that's what you want to call it. You used the word ignorant for people not acceptintg your take on things. You're right we don't see eye to eye on things ...so be it. Just don't expect people to sit idly by while you call us all ignorant and then ask us to throw our arms around you whenever you grace us with your presence. You harbor these deep feelings of resentment toward natives yet you want us to love you. We're not stupid and can generally see through people like you. I'll do my best to avoid posting around you in the future. You know if you were my neighbor...I'd probably still bring you over a bottle of maple syrup though I wouldn't tell you it was from me.
Here is my origional post

Quote:
origionally posted by flycessna;You have to give it some time. Maine people are not as out going compared with other places I have lived.

I think it has more to do with the fact most of the people you'll meet here are life long residence and already have a foundation of family and friends.

I find that in other cities.....because of the change this country has gone through....there is an abundance of people "from away" who are interested in meeting new people...so it seems more outgoing and friendly. As apposed to just "polite".

There's also something said about the type of personality that can pack up and move around....by nature those people are comfortable talking with strangers.

I have found that most of the closer relationships I have developed over the years are people who have come from other states. Give it some time....you'll meet people. Hit the old port a bit......and when the sea dogs start playing...take in a couple of games..Thats always blast There's also oppotunities to join a hiking club, biking club, or kayaking ect
Here is my 2nd post where I agreed with "smily gladshanks" who said he was put off by some of the responses posters gave that made him feel like some people in Maine have superiority complexes.

Quote:
origionally posted by flycessna; Exactley!!!!!!!!!!!! it is this ignorant belief that somehow Maine has a special lock on what is "right" and how things are "supposed" to be done, That turns me off and is a real embedded personality trait in the state as a whole.

But true ignorance is bliss, and there will be those who do not care because they really don't know any better.

Though there are many good people here, so I would never want to brush an entire population with one stroke, but this is a real experience for people that come here from away.

Why the heck would I want to move my family to any place, and possibly invest my life savings, where I have to "pay my dues" in order to have friends. especially when there are many other options.
So I think I made it clear I wasn't calling the whole state ignorant. I was saying it is ignorant to beleive that Maine is the ONLY place where you can develope "non-superficial" relations ships. Do you really believe that Maine is the ONLY state you can have good close friends.

My ignorance is bliss comment is to point out that there are those....who really do not care what image they give Maine. They say they love this state or take the stance that they stand up for it.....but in the end..they hurt this state by turning people OFF from wanting to come here....and they are ignorant because they really don't realize what they do.

So..........maybe you.....and others.....just looked at what I wrote and assumed it was some kind of rant with out any real merit or reasoning.....that would be sad if thats the case.

When people want to come here....or are here and are having difficulties...I try and explain to them what might be going on.....not just get all bent out of shape and personally attack them. I do care about the message I am sending....and I hope this explains where I was coming from.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:40 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,045,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
The only way to truly appreciate where you are, is to go somewhere worse for awhile. It'll brighten your whole outlook

So true boomerang.
Gives you a chance to make objective comparisons.
Nothing worse than our stint in New Jersey in the early 1980's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine