Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:46 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,377,875 times

Advertisements

Ahhhhhhhhh! Over by Skow Town,...Bingham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 08:46 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
Doozer, even though I am a life long Mainer I can imagine being in your shoes. It is hard to come into a new state, trying to find some common ground with others where you have chosen to live can be an adjustment.

There are people like you but it may take a little chatting with other parents and getting involved in the community to find them. How long have you been here? If you just moved here during the winter, people tend to become hermits in the winter. When the warmer weather gets here, getting outside can help. You mentioned you want to meet some laid back people who like to get together and party, believe me you are not alone with that one so give it some time and get out there and meet people and it will happen. Common interests like golfing, boating, 4 wheeling, snowmobiling, etc are great ways to meet people too. Good Luck and welcome to Maine.

Very nicely stated.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:56 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,034 times
I am an Old Fart.....and proud of it.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:09 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Find out where the sandpits are. Then get yourself a six pack or two of Nastygansetts or Old Millinocketts and show up there on a Saturday night. Be sure you bring an extra case of beer to give away to all the minors hanging out at the pit and you'll soon have all the "real partiers" you can handle. Having a loud stereo in your truck is a bonus too! Good luck.
You just about described my extended family and what we do for fun.
Here's our pit:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/RWayneM/Christmas06inMaine111-1.jpg (broken link)
Putting up some targets:

Three well proportioned guys shooting:

Done shooting practice, time for a beer:

Just the three and me hanging out at the pit with some loud music:

A six pack observation:

Old 04-01-2008, 09:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,659,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
You just about described my extended family and what we do for fun.
See... do I know this State or what? I told DW the next place we buy is going to have a sandpit on the property....I love them!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Find out where the sandpits are. Then get yourself a six pack or two of Nastygansetts or Old Millinocketts and show up there on a Saturday night. Be sure you bring an extra case of beer to give away to all the minors hanging out at the pit and you'll soon have all the "real partiers" you can handle. Having a loud stereo in your truck is a bonus too! Good luck.

LMAO! Pit parties! I think maybe you and I might have unknowingly attended a few together. That's hysterical, those and quarry parties.
Been there - done it, then my kids managed to find the same pits and quarries with their friends! Ahhhh... life in a small town.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:34 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,716,692 times
You have to give it some time. Maine people are not as out going compared with other places I have lived.

I think it has more to do with the fact most of the people you'll meet here are life long residence and already have a foundation of family and friends.

I find that in other cities.....because of the change this country has gone through....there is an abundance of people "from away" who are interested in meeting new people...so it seems more outgoing and friendly. As apposed to just "polite".

There's also something said about the type of personality that can pack up and move around....by nature those people are comfortable talking with strangers.

I have found that most of the closer relationships I have developed over the years are people who have come from other states. Give it some time....you'll meet people. Hit the old port a bit......and when the sea dogs start playing...take in a couple of games..Thats always blast There's also oppotunities to join a hiking club, biking club, or kayaking ect.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 AM

169 posts, read 550,114 times
so i moved to deer isle when i was 35 and started raising a family and helped run my dad's business. at the little store the selectman owned, all manner of locals would be inside manning the "liars benches" and having a grand old time. occasionally i would linger at the counter (standing) a few minutes and shoot the breeze and move on.

when i got to be 50, the owner and i came to a joking agreement that i could sit down if there was an empty seat, but should a "real" native come in i naturally had to stand.

pay your dues.....do something for your town............keep it real

Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,311 times
I'm thinking your attitude is saying it all. You want your old life back while in your new life and that's not gonna happen. Once you've spent some decent time (more than a few months) in your new town and gotten to know some people, you should be fine.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:30 AM

158 posts, read 526,962 times
There are some good posts from people here--honest advice. Only one was akin to "you are bringing your superficiality here. We are MAINE, and you must pay your dues. No one else in the world is real, good or honest." I also live in a "real" place in this country--in another (northeastern--shouldn't really have to say that, but...)state where getting by is gettting along--and can honestly comment that to other "real" people like myself, that kind of native superiority is a turn-off.

It reminds me of the time the guy in Vermont rolled his eyes when I said, "lots of snow in that parking lot." His comment: "This is the northeast. It's not like OTHER places." ...yeah, thanks guy...I'm also from the northeast, know what snow and ice is, and that's STILL a lot of snow in that parking lot you self-loving, arrogant p***k.

So for what it's worth, some of the comments are turning me off to Maine. But then some of you give good and honest advice, and I figure that means there are probably plenty of good, real people in Maine afterall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine