Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 11:00 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times

Advertisements

They do make devices that will provide power to a pellet stove. A regular Computer UPS will not work. The motors on the pellet stove require a modified sine wave current (which is provided by AC, but not a computer UPS.) The device linked below would work. It's not a battery backup, but it works with a marine battery to provide the modified sine wave power. Basically it serves two purposes. When plugged into commercial power it provides power to the marine battery (which you would need to purchase separately). When it senses the loss of current in the outlet it is plugged into, it takes battery power and converts it into AC that the motors can run on. Basically in that function it's serving as an inverter. Not sure how many folks want a marine battery sitting by the stove, but they do make systems that will provide AC power to run an electric motor. Google "sump pump battery backup" and it will come up with a host of devices. It must provide enough power to run a stove, not a sump pump, if that is the purpose, but the process is the same.
Battery Backups for Sump Pumps and Pellet Stoves | SEC America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 11:20 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
They do make devices that will provide power to a pellet stove. A regular Computer UPS will not work. The motors on the pellet stove require a modified sine wave current (which is provided by AC, but not a computer UPS.) The device linked below would work. It's not a battery backup, but it works with a marine battery to provide the modified sine wave power. Basically it serves two purposes. When plugged into commercial power it provides power to the marine battery (which you would need to purchase separately). When it senses the loss of current in the outlet it is plugged into, it takes battery power and converts it into AC that the motors can run on. Basically in that function it's serving as an inverter. Not sure how many folks want a marine battery sitting by the stove, but they do make systems that will provide AC power to run an electric motor. Google "sump pump battery backup" and it will come up with a host of devices. It must provide enough power to run a stove, not a sump pump, if that is the purpose, but the process is the same.
Battery Backups for Sump Pumps and Pellet Stoves | SEC America
Excellent ! Thank you !

While we do not have a pellet stove, we do have a few pumps that loss of power could be a problem. ( sump pump for example )

Old 11-05-2018, 01:52 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
There are non-electric pellet stoves. If you like the idea of burning pellets, you are NOT required to get an electric one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=non-...+pellet+stoves

Here in our township the power grid goes out every month. As far as I can tell every home here has at least one generator.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:34 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post

Anyone with pellet stove knowledge- how does one cope with sudden loss of power ?
The very first thing we did when we moved here (China, ME) four years ago was to have a pellet stove installed. We didn't want to rely on the existing oil boiler to heat the whole house, nor did we want to have only one source of heat.

Along with the pellet stove a battery back-up was installed. This is plugged into an electrical outlet, keeping the battery fully charged. When the power goes out, there's a sound of "click-click" and the battery is powering the stove.

BUT, we're not too worried about the pellet stove back-up battery, because the second thing we did was to have a 14kW, propane-fired whole-house generator installed. We lose power, and that thing cuts on within seconds.

We really like the pellet stove. It keeps the lower level - kitchen, dining room, family room, and office - toasty warm during the winter, and some of the heat makes its way up to the bedrooms upstairs.

And we LOVE that generator.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:14 PM

38 posts, read 37,526 times
Wow, that sounds really scary. I was considering a pellet stove too. But what happens if the stove is going middle of the night when you're in bed and you get a power outage? I also was looking at the gravity feed stove from Wiseway, but the reviews seem to show a lot of issues with pellet jams.

Maybe you could try contacting the manufacturer of the stove and see what they suggest for a battery backup for the model stove you have. Another option would be talking to people in the stove shops. Not sure where you are, but if you're midcoast, Mazzoes in Rockland sells pellet stoves. I'm sure they could make good suggestions.

If you have propane or natural gas another option is a non-electric direct vent gas stove. The one I've been looking at it made by a company called Williams. They sell it at Home Depot. But if you already have a woodstove you probably don't need that either. The nice thing about this is you don't need to be home for it to work. It has a pilot that stays lit. You set the temp, and even if the power is out, it will put out heat. At least saves you from frozen pipes.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Williams...3821/100565240

Old 11-06-2018, 03:27 PM

12,364 posts, read 9,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooey View Post
:
if you're midcoast, Mazzoes in Rockland sells pellet stoves. I'm sure they could make good suggestions.

If you have propane or natural gas another option is a non-electric direct vent gas stove. The one I've been looking at it made by a company called Williams. They sell it at Home Depot. But if you already have a woodstove you probably don't need that either. The nice thing about this is you don't need to be home for it to work. It has a pilot that stays lit. You set the temp, and even if the power is out, it will put out heat. At least saves you from frozen pipes.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Williams...3821/100565240
Jotul (Maine-made) also makes some propane stoves that use a pilot light and will still run during a power outage (avoid the pilotless IPI models). Propane isn't a cheap fuel, but if the stove is only used for occasional supplemental heat and charm when you do have electrical power, and then used as the sole heating source for the brief periods when the power is out, you won't be burning a boatload of propane. Mazzaeo's sells them too.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:18 PM

846 posts, read 1,019,417 times
I have a Jotel propane in the basement set at 50degrees. Additionally, my fireplace insert is Jotel, I believe it is called “The Rockport” it has two fans on the bottom that blow hot air, I seldom need to operate the fans as it heats the bejesus out of the house. When my garage is finished I’m putting the Jotel in there that cooks meat! Being a Maine made product made my mind up. If I’m gonna live here, I’m gonna buy here if possible.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:13 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,189 times
I have a wood stove, but burn pellets in it as well. I just pour them though the top (top loader stove) into a pile in the stove and they burn very well. Shutting the damper down will slow down the burn for an all night burn.

Also have an Empire direct vent stove that runs on propane and no electricity is needed. It is very quiet and doesn't really require any maintenance.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:22 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I have a wood stove, but burn pellets in it as well. I just pour them though the top (top loader stove) into a pile in the stove and they burn very well. Shutting the damper down will slow down the burn for an all night burn.

Interesting... Never thought to do that... Wonder if I could buy just " a bag" instead of a ton

Old 11-07-2018, 05:47 AM

38 posts, read 37,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Tractor Supply sells sawdust wood bricks. They're a slightly bigger then a masonry brick and made from compacted hardwood sawdust, which I think is same as pellets. A friend gave me a few to try. They seemed to burn pretty nice (in my fireplace, I don't have a woodstove). Also, they are uniform size, so stack really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine