Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:31 PM

56 posts, read 48,367 times

Advertisements

From CT, they live in the Hartford area now, down the street from where my sister settled. It’s a 6 hour drive. My parents are wonderful - but I can only imagine my mother around 95 in Augusta, getting on Rt 3 with 80 ish miles to go, because of course we need to live in the most far out locations. I know they’ll fly next time, Id like to think the drive is more about seeing the area - and Belfast to Blue Hill is pretty awesome! but it’s proabbly a fly/ drive decision. I’m happy my dad travels for work because he can loop a Bangor layover into a trip,no problem.

But. I want them to love it. I know my dad will be in awe of the fog, tides, bridges, pinetrees, boats, seafood, mountains, rugged quiet - the raw New England landscape found (almost) only in Maine. He spent his summers on Cape Cod growing up, and introduced my mother to the Cape about 40 years ago. They lived there for about 7-8 years before returning to CT in 2014. My mother is also an adventurer - but I’m worried she will pick on my choice, criticize my new paradise.

They’re staying at the Barncastle in Blue Hill, about 5-7 minutes from me. I pulled in to the Barncastle parking lot yesterday, and I’ve read reviews. It’s an old, super small Inn - close to everything Blue Hill. Plus the Dunkin and Tradewinds. Again, my dad, he’s a navy vet, travels for work, and loves authentic New England. My mother is the most critical person on the planet..

So. Suggestions! Help me show my mom why Blue Hill is a wonderful place to live, and why it is the best for her grandkids. If my kids are happy, she’s happy. And they are so happy! Mountains out the window, Blue Hill Consolidated, new friends, ocean in our backyard!. They love their town! The visit is only 24 hours - plus driving 12 hours round trip, and we will be staying on the peninsula.

So let’s blow her away! (Literally ) The most scenic views, most beautiful homes. I’d take her to Camden or Bar Harbor downtown, it’s busier and more her speed, but we won’t have the time. I offered to cook but she doesn’t eat fish or seafood, so I’m thinking the co-op - get her organic fix, and lobsters and steamers for my dad. If not we will order from the Thurston or Arborvine, I guess? My father has been in London all week, flew home Friday, and they’re leaving at 5AM Saturday for a visit with his favorites -my babies. on that note, I’m looking forward to it, and my kids are super excited.

I’ll take all suggestions, from year round fresh seafood (BH Peninsula to Ellsworth) to the most stunning views to the best shops. I know what I like - but I’m new.maybe the 10x8 art show? The wine shop. Bookstore. All the local stops. Please help me impress my parents - it means a lot to me. (And yes I’m 34, feeling panicked, but it’s very important they have a nice time!)

Last edited by britt_brt; 12-07-2018 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 10:47 PM

My mother wasn’t / isn't always a snob - but she’s critical. Once upon a time, she would’ve fallen in love with this Oceanside paradise, the people, shops. And she’s a floral designer, a talented artist. Let’s suck the CT out and pump Maine in, just for the day. Stonington is quite stunning - a long drive but it’s probably one of the most beautiful towns I’ve experienced.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:27 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Go to Stonington and have lunch at the Harbor Cafe. The seafood is great. Have dinner at Arborvine, for your Mom. Drive them down through South Blue Hill, so they can see the reversing falls and the views over the bay. Catapiller Hill in Sargentville is a great scenic overlook.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:50 AM

In Brooklin, check out the boatyard at Center Harbor.Might be someone there today to show you the boats.2 fifty footers in progress in the main shop.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:53 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
True Maine?? Get to know a neighbor or two really well, then drop over to their house with your parents (or have them come over to your place). Or go for a walk in the woods.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:37 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
True Maine?? Or go for a walk in the woods.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:16 PM

AustinB
Thank you! Took your advice and went to Harbor Cafe, via the long way, 175? I’ll learn road names, it’s been 2 weeks. The food was great! Semi limited menu but super accomadting staff. And Harbor Cafe is comfort food, reasonably priced - bowl soups are huge! Plus beer wine and a full bar. And beautiful views. Highly recommended! Did some quick shopping at Tradewinds, had some wine at my house, and ( I think ) they had a great time!

Tomorrow they leave at 12, but we would like to get our tree in the morning. Where I’m from, youd find the tree, cut it,drag it to the car etc and get sone hot chocolare or cider on the way out. I’m hoping for a similar experience. Suggestions? Thank you, again!

Old 12-08-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
True Maine?? Get to know a neighbor or two really well, then drop over to their house with your parents (or have them come over to your place). Or go for a walk in the woods.

I agree, and it will take time. Blue Hill is spread out, and we’ve been here for only two weeks. On a warmer day, I’d agree with a woods walk, but today’s temperature was uncomfortable for my parents and my kids. I am looking forward to the days when my kids get on the bus and I meet my friend for coffee. Until then, people are super friendly, in a genuine way, but no new friends yet, not the close friends you’d drop in on. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 12-09-2018, 03:24 AM

The Clapp Farm on the Hinckly Ridge. Go past Merrill and Hinckleys a few miles. It will be on the left, just before the four corners. Or ask a eighbor if you can cut a tree on their property. Don't cut it off the front lawn...

Old 12-09-2018, 05:46 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
The Clapp Farm on the Hinckly Ridge. Go past Merrill and Hinckleys a few miles. It will be on the left, just before the four corners. Or ask a eighbor if you can cut a tree on their property. Don't cut it off the front lawn...
if you do cut it off the front lawn...take your rear license plate off..... this is from experience

if you had more time id suggest a drive to pemaquid point lighthouse.....my favorite spot in maine and im hearing the botanical gardens in boothbay harbor are giving Christmas "tours"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine