Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,400 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a 21 year old single guy thinking about moving out to Maine for awhile. I am born and raised in Chicago. My heart will definitely always be in Chicago, but I am thinking about getting away for awhile and see more of the country. Whenever I think about moving somewhere else in the country I think about Maine. My family visited here when I was pretty young and I just loved it, even though I don't remember a lot about it. I was just wondering if you guys think Maine would be a good spot for a guy like me, and if so where should I look at moving to.

Well here is some info about me. Like I said I am 21 and single. I grew up in a suburb of Chicago called Arlington Heights, but recently I moved into the city and I love it. I have a community college education. YAH! I am very liberal politically. I love riding my bike everywhere (I do have a car though). I really dig a good beer or ten. It kills me to say this but I guess I am kind of a hipster. I am really into music. I like the outdoors and I like to go hiking and all that stuff. if you need to know more just ask.

I can't decide if I want to live in a more rural place or a more urban area. I really just want to live in a place that just beautiful. I would love living in some nice cabin or cottage, but the same time and nice city apartment would be awesome too. Wherever I do end up moving to I would need to get a job. I am really open to any sort of job. Just nothing thats going to bore me to death. I have always thought of becoming a electrician so maybe I could do my apprenticeship out in Maine somewhere.

But yeah any sort of advice you could give me would be great. Thank you.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-08-2008 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: Please do not tell of illegal activities. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 06:44 AM

279 posts, read 702,225 times
Coming from Chicago, I would say try Portland. Its hip, cultural, diverse. Lots of bars for the young crowd.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
Maine is a very blue state. George HW Bush placed third in his reelection campaign here. You could probably find work with the Tom Allen campaign. You would fit right in.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,716,692 times
I also would reccomend Portland. There's a lot of people there that match what you described. your young...get out there and experience the world before its to late! probably compared to where your coming from Portland is inexpensive....and it is a very "livable" city. Its a metropolitan feel with in minutes of hiking, skiing, ect. you have the ocean and there are islands too.

When you get here....consider going back to school. Maine has a great college system..fairly affordable.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 AM

14 posts, read 36,463 times
It will have to be Portland, nothing else here would suit you. I'm not even sure about Portland... you'd be one of us few liberals sticking out like sore thumbs :-)
Maine is beautiful, no doubt, but it is more quiet and family-oriented. There really isn't much to attract and/or keep young people (therefore the dreaded: Brain Drain Syndrome, our young folks leave in droves for jobs particularly). I don't want to sound negative, but you need to have an idea of what it's really like here. I'm sure you could find work as an electrician, these types of jobs are really in demand and there aren't enough young people interested in persuing them.
You might want to visit a few places again before you make a permanent move.
Good luck.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:43 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,651 times
Have you considered Seattle? Sounds like more what you're looking for.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 AM

259 posts, read 703,632 times
^ that's what I was thinking...have you looked at seattle or portland, Oregon?? I think it may suit you better..

Old 04-08-2008, 09:41 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,034 times
Coming from Chicago, you will find even Portland to be rural. Although it would put you close to Boston.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,318 times
Lots of college kids in Farmington...the area is rural.

I would really suggest a vacation here before you pack up and move. Come out in June and get a feel for the areas...go to Portland and check that out...head up to Farmington. You could get motels...or camp even.

That's my two cents. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: