Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:20 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

OK, folks, I did a search on NAIS here on CD and didn't find anything to do with Maine. So I dug up this old but very interesting thread!

I know some of you - forest, MW, KAF, and probably others - raise some livestock and have been fairly open about it, sharing pictures and info. So maybe you are not in hiding, after all. But if you have any comments you'd rather not post, please DM me.

My question is about Maine's attitude toward NAIS. The USDA has decided (for now) that NAIS will not be mandatory. However, they have stepped up pressure on the states to make it mandatory within the state. They have been sneaky in tying in breed groups and even veterinary care.

Do you currently have a Premises ID? Does your livestock wear RFID tags? Has anyone approached you about this? How do you feel about it? I'm asking because I trust you folks to give me the straight scoop. We would like to have livestock up there, and are wondering just how the "weather" is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 05:46 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
2 weeks ago at auction, I met 2 Vet Techs from the state. I learned that they have been on the job for 1 year. [Though I have not seen them at an auction before] They go to auctions and they place metal tags in each animals' ear.

They are on a very limited budget.

They have no computer access.

They have no access to RFID technology.

They punch a hole through one ear on every cow, sheep, pig, and goat. No poultry. They attach a floppy metal tag. And they write down the auction ID number on a clipboard along with the tag's number.

If an animal goes to auction each week, then it will accumulate one ear tag for each time it has gone to auction. They told me that so far they have seen animals with as many as 3 ear tags.

The Vet Techs have no budget to access the auction's buyer-seller database.

They have no method to compiling data to track who sold or who bought each animal.

Their job at this time is to attach one ear tag to each animal.

Perhaps sometime in the future they may gain budget and have personnel inputting this data into a database to compile who bought and who sold these animals.

Perhaps....

Old 10-05-2008, 06:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
last week, i had breakfast with david o. ...v.p of sales for wolfe'sneck farm naturally raised beef, and i believe he did say they track from "pasture to plate" thier beef
wolfeneck farms is the largest selling naturally raised beef company in maine (freeport) thier parent company is pineland farms in new gloucestor (if you see pineland farms cheeses in grocery stores, it is very good)
thier beef is a bit pricey, but very good!!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:05 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times
Talking Hello NOR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
OK, folks, I did a search on NAIS here on CD and didn't find anything to do with Maine. So I dug up this old but very interesting thread!

I know some of you - forest, MW, KAF, and probably others - raise some livestock and have been fairly open about it, sharing pictures and info. So maybe you are not in hiding, after all. But if you have any comments you'd rather not post, please DM me.

My question is about Maine's attitude toward NAIS. The USDA has decided (for now) that NAIS will not be mandatory. However, they have stepped up pressure on the states to make it mandatory within the state. They have been sneaky in tying in breed groups and even veterinary care.

Do you currently have a Premises ID? Does your livestock wear RFID tags? Has anyone approached you about this? How do you feel about it? I'm asking because I trust you folks to give me the straight scoop. We would like to have livestock up there, and are wondering just how the "weather" is?
Thank you for this post NOR!

I do not know much about this subject but I am curious,

Why are they doing this?? What is the purpose?

Thank you!

Have a GREAT week NOR!

Countrylv22

Last edited by countrylv22; 10-05-2008 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU!:0) ATTITUDE IN LIFE IS KEY!:0) PEACE & BLESSINGS!:0)0)

Old 10-06-2008, 12:53 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Thank you for this post NOR!

Thank you!

Have a GREAT week NOR!

Countrylv22
It is largely about mindset. If you consider food safety scares that we have had, and the Avian flu scares; then it is possible to think of the nation's livestock as being one large herd. A herd that supplies the nations' grocery stores and kitchens. So if one person somewhere came down with a disease, it would be nice to track that person's meal, back through each processing plant and back to each farm.

It is thought that the Federal government needs to protect the nation's herd.

To do this requires that every pig in the nation be numbered and put in a database.

Every time that a chicken is moved from one property onto another property, it needs to be tracked and recorded. So that if it ever ends up on a dinner table and someone gets sick, the Fed can trace that chicken back to each farm where it lived.

The USDA put the laws in place. As yet they have no funding. They are waiting for the next bid scare to come through. As soon as the next food scare comes that makes meat look bad, and the system is in place waiting for funding. It is an unfunded mandate.

Each state has a chance to review the Fed regs and to consider how they are going to comply.

Whenever it finally gets funding, then every farm with a cow, will be in a Federal database. Every chicken, ever lamb, every pig, will be tracked from birth to butchering. Government inspectors will have the right to inspect every farm, to monitor compliance and award fines.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:56 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post

Darned if I know the real reason, countrylv! I think it's supposed to have something to do with international sales of beef and other meat; you know, they worry about mad cow disease and such, as other countries will not buy our meat if they feel it is diseased.

Most of those who oppose NAIS - small farmers and homesteaders - think what it's really about is discouraging meat production on family farms, and small operations. They want to organize meat production by the larger farms and ranches, and drive the little guy out of business. You see, it is quite expensive to comply with all the NAIS regulations, as you have to buy RFID tags for each individual animal, whereas the large producers just buy one tag for a group of animals from the same origin. Also you lose your privacy and autonomy at the hands of these bureaucrats.

Over in Vermont there is quite a ruckus about it, and they have started a web site called NoNAIS. In some states, like Michigan, small family farms are being forced into the system database without their consent. They are given premises ID's if a state ag official detects the presence of any livestock or poultry, and are required to RFID-tag all livestock.

I'm glad that Maine has not gone this far; thanks for your responses to my question, everyone. But I had to raise the issue because I think Mainers need to be aware that NAIS is out there. They are sneaky about it, you won't get much notice that things are about to change, and the results can be devastating for meat, egg, and dairy producers - not to mention the formerly happy customers who will no longer be able to buy from them!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:16 PM

Talking Thank you FOREST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It is largely about mindset. If you consider food safety scares that we have had, and the Avian flu scares; then it is possible to think of the nation's livestock as being one large herd. A herd that supplies the nations' grocery stores and kitchens. So if one person somewhere came down with a disease, it would be nice to track that person's meal, back through each processing plant and back to each farm.

It is thought that the Federal government needs to protect the nation's herd.

To do this requires that every pig in the nation be numbered and put in a database.

Every time that a chicken is moved from one property onto another property, it needs to be tracked and recorded. So that if it ever ends up on a dinner table and someone gets sick, the Fed can trace that chicken back to each farm where it lived.

The USDA put the laws in place. As yet they have no funding. They are waiting for the next bid scare to come through. As soon as the next food scare comes that makes meat look bad, and the system is in place waiting for funding. It is an unfunded mandate.

Each state has a chance to review the Fed regs and to consider how they are going to comply.

Whenever it finally gets funding, then every farm with a cow, will be in a Federal database. Every chicken, ever lamb, every pig, will be tracked from birth to butchering. Government inspectors will have the right to inspect every farm, to monitor compliance and award fines.
THANK YOU so much for this post!

In a way, its more like BIG BROTHER keeping track of everything

I can see now, why it would make sense, but still

They will have everyone in a database......

Thanks for your input!

Take care!

Countrylv22

Last edited by countrylv22; 10-06-2008 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU!:0) ATTITUDE IN LIFE IS KEY! :0) PEACE & BLESSINGS!:0)

Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
cool, (country of origin labelling,) is now legally required for seafood, you will not only see wild, or farm-raised, but also where the fish/seafood comes from.
over regulation of our own fishing here in maine has , been the force behind going elsewhere for seafood,
much of the frozen seafood now comes from other countries,,china, chili...

ducktrap smoked salmon company out of belfast,,,,gets much of thier salmon from other countries.
there's a few independent provisions companies, that buy beef from canada, and sell to grocery stores,

Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 PM

Talking Thank you so much NOR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Darned if I know the real reason, countrylv! I think it's supposed to have something to do with international sales of beef and other meat; you know, they worry about mad cow disease and such, as other countries will not buy our meat if they feel it is diseased.

Most of those who oppose NAIS - small farmers and homesteaders - think what it's really about is discouraging meat production on family farms, and small operations. They want to organize meat production by the larger farms and ranches, and drive the little guy out of business. You see, it is quite expensive to comply with all the NAIS regulations, as you have to buy RFID tags for each individual animal, whereas the large producers just buy one tag for a group of animals from the same origin. Also you lose your privacy and autonomy at the hands of these bureaucrats.

Over in Vermont there is quite a ruckus about it, and they have started a web site called NoNAIS. In some states, like Michigan, small family farms are being forced into the system database without their consent. They are given premises ID's if a state ag official detects the presence of any livestock or poultry, and are required to RFID-tag all livestock.

I'm glad that Maine has not gone this far; thanks for your responses to my question, everyone. But I had to raise the issue because I think Mainers need to be aware that NAIS is out there. They are sneaky about it, you won't get much notice that things are about to change, and the results can be devastating for meat, egg, and dairy producers - not to mention the formerly happy customers who will no longer be able to buy from them!
Thank you so much NOR!

So, if I understand correctly, if I have a couple of HENS as pets

for personal consumption, eggs for myself, if I do not sell to anyone else, I

would also be subject to this. Right? WOW!

Thank you NOR for your great post & info! I appreciate it!

Take good care,

Have a GREAT week everyone!

Countrylv22

Last edited by countrylv22; 10-06-2008 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU!:0)ATTITUDE IN LIFE IS KEY!:0) PEACE!:0)

Old 10-06-2008, 07:57 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
2012 is on the way people!
Don't you mean 2112?

Sorry, I am a huge RUSH fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine