Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:05 AM

2,489 posts, read 3,386,169 times

Advertisements

For log homes, try Woodguard Stain & Preservative:

https://www.twincreeksloghomes.com/woodguard-stain.html

Proper care of log homes is vital, but it isn't terribly expensive to maintain one (unless it is an enormous place). Cleaning, chinking, and re-staining can be done by the homeowner with the equipment, strong back and arms, patience and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 11:39 AM

334 posts, read 425,748 times
Why not a manufactured/modular home? Maine has a ton of 'em and from the standpoint of economics, they are really a big bang for your buck, are titled and hold their value. Today's units are of incredible quality and design and no longer should they be called "trailers" or 'double-wides". The connotation of those terms is that their quality is really lacking. Plus how do they get modular homes to their site? Wheels of course. No difference at all in that regard. Board for board they are as good as any modular home I've seen. I've looked at probably 50 of them over the past couple of years and am amazed as to how well made they are. My wife is also impressed and that's saying a lot! I'm a cabinetmaker/contractor and have a pretty discerning eye for stuff like this. You can get a 1800 sq' home hauled onto your slab for about $120k tops. you can also put them on a regular foundation, too. Just work with your contractor.

Regarding log homes, I agree that they can be a maintenance issue and addressing plumbing and electrical can be tricky. I've worked on a few building the interiors. The best ones I've worked with have "D" logs so they are very tightly assembled. I think they're gorgeous but I don't think I'd want to live in one 24/7. I'd love a post and beam home but their cost is pretty serious.

One question about your land. When you bought it, was it perk tested and do you know for certain there's water available? Just curious.

Have fun!

Old 03-03-2019, 03:23 PM

36 posts, read 68,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Why not a manufactured/modular home? Maine has a ton of 'em and from the standpoint of economics, they are really a big bang for your buck, are titled and hold their value. Today's units are of incredible quality and design and no longer should they be called "trailers" or 'double-wides". The connotation of those terms is that their quality is really lacking. Plus how do they get modular homes to their site? Wheels of course. No difference at all in that regard. Board for board they are as good as any modular home I've seen. I've looked at probably 50 of them over the past couple of years and am amazed as to how well made they are. My wife is also impressed and that's saying a lot! I'm a cabinetmaker/contractor and have a pretty discerning eye for stuff like this. You can get a 1800 sq' home hauled onto your slab for about $120k tops. you can also put them on a regular foundation, too. Just work with your contractor.

Regarding log homes, I agree that they can be a maintenance issue and addressing plumbing and electrical can be tricky. I've worked on a few building the interiors. The best ones I've worked with have "D" logs so they are very tightly assembled. I think they're gorgeous but I don't think I'd want to live in one 24/7. I'd love a post and beam home but their cost is pretty serious.

One question about your land. When you bought it, was it perk tested and do you know for certain there's water available? Just curious.

Have fun!
Thanks for your comment. The land has been perc tested, surveyed and Maine DOT approved driveway location(s). All of this was necessary for it to be subdivided. Mobiles aren't permitted but modular is. Have been looking into Hill View Mini barns log modular homes. Pretty turnkey build and price, but you're looking at $120k for less than 1000 sqft. Not including foundation/site work, septic, well, electric, etc. There's also this new tech out that is maintenance free, metal log siding. Looks interesting.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:36 AM

334 posts, read 425,748 times
After all the research I did I can't believe that Manufactured homes are segregated from Modular homes. That fact in that town is going to make me research further and I wonder if other towns have similar restrictions. Since their building techniques are so similar it's just a curious situation.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2019, 01:43 PM

3,252 posts, read 9,156,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
After all the research I did I can't believe that Manufactured homes are segregated from Modular homes. That fact in that town is going to make me research further and I wonder if other towns have similar restrictions. Since their building techniques are so similar it's just a curious situation.

Good luck!
Building them may be similar but mobile homes have axles withwheels added and are set up on a frame to be hitched. Modular are transported on flat bed trucks.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:29 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,294,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Building them may be similar but mobile homes have axles withwheels added and are set up on a frame to be hitched. Modular are transported on flat bed trucks.
Not only that, but manufactured homes are subject to the HUD building code, while modular must conform to all local building code requirements. This is the essential difference and why modular is treated the same as stick built homes.

I'm going to buy a very nice manufactured home when I retire in two years, but I know what I'm buying. I'm still debating whether I want to be in a park for the community aspects, or whether I want to buy land.

I love NH and Maine, lived in NH for 5 years, but I just can't see me living in the great white north as I get even older. I have a friend who is going to retire to Maine, but even in Southern NH it can get to 30 below, and having been there and done that, I think the Pacific North West, East or South of Seattle is going to be my likely landing point. I have a brother, 10 years younger, that lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine