Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:32 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

I don’t know why I like kites…I just do. Flying a kite is something I’ve looked forward to doing every spring since I was a kid. I’m 49 and I still fly one when ever the mood strikes me. As soon as the field is dry enough to walk in I wait for that warm breezy afternoon and pick out a kite for flying. I have several kites, all single string types, I never got into “combat kites” or “stunt kites” just simple single line kites. I have built kites, and made line reels out of cherry in my shop. I have some traditional Diamond shape kites, some Deltas, a Parafoil, a big “Sled’ that uses 300 lb line to fly, several smaller “Bat” types, and a couple of paper ones my wife brought back from Japan.
My favorite kites are traditional Box kites. They’re hard to find these days. I have made them in the past with some successes and some that just wouldn’t fly well. Everyone remembers going to the local corner store in the spring and for .50 cents you could get a Gayla kite and all the string you could possibly use. We would always try to see how many spools of twine we could string together. Sometimes those little kites would sail nearly out of sight! Gas stations, bread companies, car dealers, and other places used to give out kites as a promotion. Even the Jolly Green Giant kite was available by sending in a few box tops and a couple of dollars. Tell us your kite stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 01:45 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I worked in Canada for a few years. While up there on frequent one week trips I would fly a dual line stunt kite on some big lawn I would find. The kite was about 7 feet across. I went to a hospital front lawn one time and flew the kite for an hour. Around sunset the wind died down and as I wound up the kite string onto a spool a nurse came running out.

I figured, Oh oh; I guess I won't be back here again. I guessed wrong. She thanked me for putting on a show and said the patients loved it. Come back any time. When I ordered my first kite over the phone I told the catalog guy I was going to fly the kite on a frozen lake while on ice skates. Most kite dealers are in places like Florida. There was a big pause. He said, "I'm going to send you the BIG training video. Don't kill yourself."

Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I worked in Canada for a few years. While up there on frequent one week trips I would fly a dual line stunt kite on some big lawn I would find. The kite was about 7 feet across. I went to a hospital front lawn one time and flew the kite for an hour. Around sunset the wind died down and as I wound up the kite string onto a spool a nurse came running out.

I figured, Oh oh; I guess I won't be back here again. I guessed wrong. She thanked me for putting on a show and said the patients loved it. Come back any time. When I ordered my first kite over the phone I told the catalog guy I was going to fly the kite on a frozen lake while on ice skates. Most kite dealers are in places like Florida. There was a big pause. He said, "I'm going to send you the BIG training video. Don't kill yourself."
That's cool! did you ever fly it with skates on?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:20 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
On a recent Bill Green's Maine was a segment on ice kiting. These people were going over 40 MPH and wore body armour on all parts of the body they figured would get hammered if and when they fell. In western Maine a gentleman started selling the kites last fall and the neat thing is you can use them on snow, ice or water.

YouTube - Snow-ice-kiting Podersdorf - Neusiedlersee Austria

Old 04-08-2008, 02:39 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Yes I did. You can get a tractor kite that has no frame. It's like a miniature parasail that hang glider pilots use. I have used one to tow me in a canoe. I also used one to tow me in a kid's plastic toboggan on a lake.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:54 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
My wife, 3 boys, and I, go to portland head light to fly kites every summer. We go at least twice but we love it so much we always talk about doing it more. My 4 year old a few summers ago when he was 2 (and my 2 year old this summer), I love the look on their face when they first take hold of that string and see that they are flying somthing way up in the sky. It's probably the same look on my face . And your right Maineah, It still makes me feel like a kid.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Default Kite flying tradition

My family tradition has always been to take my kids down to Popham Beach every Mothers Day for a picnic and KITE FLYING!!! Even as they became way too old to want to go, I would still insist. It was MY day! We always went down near the fort, not the state park. I rememer a few Mothers Days when it was way to cold to be out there, but I also remember a couple where I actually got in the water!

I always bought cheap kites with many extra spools as we would just tie one on to the other as the spool ran down. We lost a few that way, but we also managed to hang on to a few too. Often we would lose sight of the kite as it dissapeared way over Fort Popham. My kids and I always adored that special day. Alright, maybe it was just me that adored it.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:31 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Default kite surfing

Are they doing this in Maine yet? I haven't seen it, but Penobscot Bay doesn't warm up much, even in August.

I watch these kite surfers in front of my condo all the time. It's amazing to watch and I have always wanted to try it. I've heard that it requires an amazing amount of upper body strength to even hang on to the kite, let alone ride waves with winds exceeding 25-30 mph. Sometimes I swear they're going at least that fast when they whip by me.

The ice board kiting also looks like fun, but a little harder landing surface for sure. I've seen guys up on the pond on the island do it on boards and big sails on the ice, like wind surfing, they get going really fast too.

YouTube - Kite Surfing in Florida 3

Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,386 times
I love flying kites! I tried a little stunt kite on the Cape a few years ago and liked it very much. Something about that sound ripping through the air...it almost pulled me off my feet. Fun!
Nothing prettier than seeing a bunch of kites flying against the sky.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Are they doing this in Maine yet? I haven't seen it, but Penobscot Bay doesn't warm up much, even in August.

I watch these kite surfers in front of my condo all the time. It's amazing to watch and I have always wanted to try it. I've heard that it requires an amazing amount of upper body strength to even hang on to the kite, let alone ride waves with winds exceeding 25-30 mph. Sometimes I swear they're going at least that fast when they whip by me.

The ice board kiting also looks like fun, but a little harder landing surface for sure. I've seen guys up on the pond on the island do it on boards and big sails on the ice, like wind surfing, they get going really fast too.

YouTube - Kite Surfing in Florida 3
I think this would be a blast! I saw a piece on one of those video disaster shows of a guy that got lifted 300 feet in the air and then crashed down in a bunch of trees. He got pretty beat up from the fall. Besides I have the upper body strength of a pillow at this point so hanging on might be a problem. I have a big 6 foot sled kite that would probably pull me along on skates or something but with my luck I'd get going about 100 with no way to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: