Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 12:55 PM

36 posts, read 67,755 times

Advertisements

We want to build a simple, small (300sqft or less) rustic camp on our land in Dover Foxcroft. Due to population, we know we are mandated by MUBEC. This area has a lot of camps and seasonal structures. What if we get a permit for a shed, and convert the inside into a little weekend getaway? Probably do a small outhouse as well. Legal? What’s the difference between that and getting a permit for a 300sqft camp? Not trying to skirt the law but also doesn’t want to make it more complicated than it needs to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 06:54 PM

11,876 posts, read 8,970,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beats32 View Post
We want to build a simple, small (300sqft or less) rustic camp on our land in Dover Foxcroft. Due to population, we know we are mandated by MUBEC. This area has a lot of camps and seasonal structures. What if we get a permit for a shed, and convert the inside into a little weekend getaway? Probably do a small outhouse as well. Legal? What’s the difference between that and getting a permit for a 300sqft camp? Not trying to skirt the law but also doesn’t want to make it more complicated than it needs to be.
You'll want to speak with the code enforcement officer there for clarification. Although there may be old cabins and camps that have outhouses, I will be a little surprised if they will allow it on new construction, I think you'll need some kind of septic system. I did take a quick look at the State of Maine Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Rules linked below, and it looks to me like that is the case. I'd suggest reviewing in more detail and discussing with the town officials.

https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/env...esProposal.pdf

Old 04-07-2019, 07:45 PM

36 posts, read 67,755 times
Thanks. Code officer said seasonal cabins are allowed, but they have the same requirements as permanent residences. How can that be? For example, there’s currently a newly built - owner built- recreational cabin for sale in the same town. On concrete blocks, all pine, wired for generator electricity, wood stove, listing specifically addresses enough space outside for outhouse. We looked at this cabin before ultimately purchasing our land. It’s just under 200sqft. It in no way meets MUBEC because it’s just a recreational camp/cabin. So that’s where I’m confused. I guess I’ll need to email the code officer back with the link and see what he says.

If you’re interested: https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_26918369/

Old 04-07-2019, 07:52 PM

11,876 posts, read 8,970,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beats32 View Post
Thanks. Code officer said seasonal cabins are allowed, but they have the same requirements as permanent residences. How can that be? For example, there’s currently a newly built - owner built- recreational cabin for sale in the same town. On concrete blocks, all pine, wired for generator electricity, wood stove, listing specifically addresses enough space outside for outhouse. We looked at this cabin before ultimately purchasing our land. It’s just under 200sqft. It in no way meets MUBEC because it’s just a recreational camp/cabin. So that’s where I’m confused. I guess I’ll need to email the code officer back with the link and see what he says.

If you’re interested: https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_26918369/
Hi, like you, I am just a lay person in this. It's possible, that just because that property is there, and done like that, and being sold, doesn't mean it was actually built to local codes and certified for occupancy - that's just a guess though. Human sewage isn't good for water quality, and I think most areas have tightened up on things over time. From that state publication, it sounds like a septic system may be required statewide these days.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:13 AM

3,466 posts, read 7,191,149 times
Your camp can be pretty much what you want. Live in a tent..., but you must have a septic design, even for an outhouse.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:38 AM

37,213 posts, read 60,926,856 times
Outhouses are pretty common. They need a permit and to be inspected.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:27 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,551,923 times
Depends entirely on how aggressive the town is. Some towns are welcoming and helpful. Some are hostile and seeks ways to prevent development. Local lore may not be 100% accurate, but you can learn a lot at the general store or coffee shop. You can camp on your own land. Your visitors can camp on your land too in nearly all Maine towns. When we had our 50th anniversary celebration, we had multiple campers on our property. We did not need to get a mass gathering permit.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:28 PM

38 posts, read 37,057 times
This is interesting, I was just pondering something like this over the weekend.

As far as the camp goes, you need to defer to your code enforcement officer before you build anything. However if it were me, I'd have my research and ducks lined up before I spoke with him. Here's a link for a State of Maine guide on building an auxiliary structure on your property. It says you can build a 750 sq ft structure without a permit if you meet the requirements (setbacks, etc). It also says each town can set it's own requirements. And they use the term "auxiliary", which kind of implies it's associated with a dwelling, so perhaps a grey area. But at least this gives you something to review with the town.

https://digitalmaine.com/cgi/viewcon...text=lupc_docs

Why not use a composting toilet instead of an out-house? Newer composting toilets divert liquids and solids into separate compartments. The solid waste from the composting toilet is safe to use in flower beds, etc. The wet waste is safe to drain into a pit. Here's two interesting articles if you want to read more about it:

https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/composting-toilet
https://compostingtoiletsusa.com/uri...rting-toilets/

Lastly.. One idea that I had when I was thinking about doing something like this was to build a yurt instead of a cabin. Basically just a 12'x12' plywood deck on blocks or piers. Then either diy a frame out of aluminum tubing or PVC pipe, or buy a decent tent. Something like this: https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...8.uts?slotId=0.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:03 PM

37,213 posts, read 60,926,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooey View Post
... Basically just a 12'x12' plywood deck on blocks or piers. Then either diy a frame out of aluminum tubing or PVC pipe, or buy a decent tent.
Pardon me, ah, no.

Never lay plywood flat horizontal to make a deck. It will separate within 2 years and rot.

2 X 8 PT planks can be used to make a deck, set with a 1/8" gap between them to allow drainage, and they should last for decades.

I have recently observed a number of wheelchair ramps that would covered with plywood and they rotted quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: