Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Kid memories: losing track of time, no computers, driver's wheel, hide and seek, small bonfire

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:35 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
Does anyone have fun memories to share when they were kids, like neighborhood kids all getting together for a game of kickball. Remember losing track of time and hearing your mom or dad yell your name that it's time to come home and being bummed out because you where having so much fun.
Being gone for hours and there wasn't a worry in the world that you were o.k., that's just the way things were. It was a different world, no computers, cell phones, just imagination and hanging with friends.
Ohh my mainesnowflake, you just described my childhood. I loved being kid, having dirty knees from playing outdoors all day. I don't think I ever played inside.
I remember walking to the store getting things for my mom at age 8.

Life was good. I remember road trips to Florida in the back of the station wagon, looking up at the sky with no seatbelts.

Just like Jeff Foxworthy said,
" Back then, we weren't to good to go through the windshield with the rest of the family.

Today of course I wear my seat belt, with kids. But my girls love to hear about the good ole days I had.
Climbing trees and your best friend was next door. Oh, riding "big wheels" down over the hill and pullin' up hard on the side break and doing a skid and maybe flipping over and tearin' up your knees. We cry.. brush it off and back out there with a bandaid holding it all together. I can't remember to many trips to the ER.

Today I can't recall how many times I took my girls to the ER, I guess I thought I was a bad mom if I didn't. That's the way things are now. Even thou my mom did good, and no one would of thought she was bad for not taking us for every sniffle. She probably be reported to DHHS. ( She worked for the Police Dept while I grew up too)

Of course helmets....? only olympic like people wore those.

Now our laws have changed with research. Maybe it's wrong for me to say this, but I am very gratful for era I grew up in.
* I could count on my hands how many toys I really had and I played with them until they didn't work anymore.

Christmas was small~ simple and exciting!!!

"Good Times... thanks for this fun post mainesnowflake"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Little fuzzy fake chicks in my Easter basket... they were as neat as the candy and I never had enough. They never seemed to last until the next season either. One year -- I was, maybe 4, my mom caught me in the garden, in my Easter best, with my kid sized shovel, digging for all I was worth. She watched, caught a picture but didn't really see what I was up to. Afterwards she asked me and I told her I had planted my Easter chicks, so they could grow (like the tulip bulbs I had helped her plant the previous autumn) and make more.

I think mom must have dug up and divided the bulbs... that image of the big and little bulbs in a clump was in my minds eye (and I can still see it).

She didn't say anything that I recall, but they never did grow. I asked my neighbor who had a BIG garden months later why but do not recall what he said, other than an impression that it doesn't work that way.

I just found a marked down package of the little guys (after not having seen ANY for many MANY years) and will make up package for my grand kids for next spring, with a chick and some candy eggs in a Easter grass nest, with the story included. The kids are really into family history.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:57 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Funny, just the other day I was thinking that it has been a long time since I had road rash....

--I grew up in LA, more specifically-Venice, so one of the things that really stick out was seeing episodes of CHiP's, A-Team, Emergency!, Fall Guy and other early 80's television shows being filmed.

--I remember my parents watching Dallas and my dad was really into M.A.S.H. while my mom wouldn't miss an episode of Days Of Our Lives even if the world was on fire (she still watches that show everyday!).

--I remember my mom telling me that it was a beautiful day and kicking me out of the house until around 5 or 6pm. Sometimes she would even lock the door.

--I remember riding the city bus home form school while I was in the 1st. grade and thinking that the bus fare sign said bus free.

--I remember me and my friends tying boxes to our skateboards then climbing in and racing down a hill. Sometimes we would coast it out, but we would usually 'stop' as a result of running into something or getting the wobbles and tipping over--slowly stopping by sliding on the pavement.

--Playing smear the *****.

--Playing tackle football.

--Playing baseball in an abandoned parking lot in which every once in awhile someone would slide into base.

--Dirt clod fights.

--Climbing onto roofs, and with a running start jumping off into the nearest tree with the hope that the branch that we were going to cling to would gently lower us to the ground--or close enough to drop.

--Hanging over the side of things to weed out the scaredy cats.

--Climbing on top of everything that we could.

--We called the above two playing Stunt Man.

--Playing chicken.

--Building forts where ever we could.

--Boogie boarding.

--Going on bike rides with my dad from Venice Beach to Redondo Beach.

--Thinking that Indiana Jones was the coolest guy that ever lived.

--Being jealous of anyone who had an AT-AT.

--Thinking that Legos were the most awesome toy ever.

--Going to the Fox Hills mall with my mom.

--THinking that Sears was the coolest store ever.

--Hanging out on the beach while my dad scuba dived.

--Slip-n-Slides.

--Walking over to Marina Del Rey by myself to go swimming.

--Being afraid that I was going to get kidnapped by gypsies (everyone thought that).

Old 04-12-2008, 11:00 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
After school.......I just loved those two words together......so I could plan my play time until dinner.

Saturday morning cartoons.....the BEST way to start the weekend.

Jumping in the hay barn....until we got kicked out by someone.

Playing 's and 's....with rules....this just wasn't a free for all.

Making huge snow forts for protection in long snow fights......before the bigger kids staved it all in.

Riding my J.C. Higgins bike all over town.

Scaring my two older sisters whenever I had the opportunity.

Watching my sisters play with their friends.

Going to the ultra safe school playground to play.

Saving my allowances to buy something cool. Like what Davey Crockett wore.

Going to drive-ins and getting home way past my bedtime, even for a weekend night, and being carried to bed.

Going to sleep hearing the downstairs laughter of my parents watching Red Skelton or Milton Berle.

Getting my first crush...and thinking I'm all grown up.

Teasing my two younger bothers whenever I had the opportunity.

Playing, not watching. Singing, not listening. Running, not walking. Wishing, not wanting.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:06 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Not David Cassidy?!?
How about the fat pink Bazooka bubble gum with Bazooka Joe comics?
Best way to remove a loose tooth ever invented.
Yes, it was DEFINITELY David Cassidy for me. I had his posters all over my room..I could walk down to the newsstand and get Tiger Beat and !6 magazines. We could ride our bikes down Main St (the wrong way!) and no one cared. How about the wax lips and fingernails??

Old 04-12-2008, 05:53 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Yes, it was DEFINITELY David Cassidy for me. I had his posters all over my room..I could walk down to the newsstand and get Tiger Beat and !6 magazines. We could ride our bikes down Main St (the wrong way!) and no one cared. How about the wax lips and fingernails??
I totally forgot about those big red wax lips. Tasted horrible!
What about those little wax bottles full of fruity flavored liquid?
Oh and of course, when Cracker Jack had real prizes inside, and you could get all this stuff and the licorice shoelaces at the little grocery store at the lake (any lake, they all had one) and walk back to your camp or cabin barefooted, stubbing your toe on tree roots or rocks along the way....

Red sneakers with white rubber bumper toes.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:08 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
And Pixie Stix?? Yummy. We could walk up to the corner store with a quarter and get a popsicle (preferably red or purple ), chips, and a soda.
How about Stingray bikes with a banana seat? Loved mine.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
And Pixie Stix?? Yummy. We could walk up to the corner store with a quarter and get a popsicle (preferably red or purple ), chips, and a soda.
How about Stingray bikes with a banana seat? Loved mine.
Banana seats bikes were the ultimate. We ( females ) decorated them with long shiny tassles hanging from each handle- so cool

I remember endless jump rope games, double dutch jumping, and playing on what would now be banned monkey bars and very tall vertical slides at the school playground. Our elementary school had awesome school carnivals where for a ticket you could choose a rubber duck and turn it over to see if you won the prize! And the cotton candy- yummy!!

Old 04-12-2008, 07:45 PM

513 posts, read 897,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Banana seats bikes were the ultimate. We ( females ) decorated them with long shiny tassles hanging from each handle- so cool

I remember endless jump rope games, double dutch jumping, and playing on what would now be banned monkey bars and very tall vertical slides at the school playground. Our elementary school had awesome school carnivals where for a ticket you could choose a rubber duck and turn it over to see if you won the prize! And the cotton candy- yummy!!
It is so funny to read all the different memories that everyone has because as I'm reading them I'm sitting here remembering things I had forgotten and not thought about in years.

Speaking of decorating bikes, did anyone take straws from the kitchen and cut them up and slit them to wrap around your bike spokes so they would make a noise when you rode down the street. Don't forget taking cards and clipping them so they with flap on the spokes while riding. The cracker jack stickers that said "Don't tread on Me" or "Keep on Truckin" Peace, Love etc.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:00 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
It is so funny to read all the different memories that everyone has because as I'm reading them I'm sitting here remembering things I had forgotten and not thought about in years.

Speaking of decorating bikes, did anyone take straws from the kitchen and cut them up and slit them to wrap around your bike spokes so they would make a noise when you rode down the street. Don't forget taking cards and clipping them so they with flap on the spokes while riding. The cracker jack stickers that said "Don't tread on Me" or "Keep on Truckin" Peace, Love etc.
Why, nooo...

we used our Mantle rookie cards for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine