Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Kid memories: losing track of time, no computers, driver's wheel, hide and seek, small bonfire

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM

513 posts, read 896,972 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have fun memories to share when they were kids, like neighborhood kids all getting together for a game of kickball. Remember losing track of time and hearing your mom or dad yell your name that it's time to come home and being bummed out because you where having so much fun.
Being gone for hours and there wasn't a worry in the world that you were o.k., that's just the way things were. It was a different world, no computers, cell phones, just imagination and hanging with friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 04:25 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
After one of my summers in Wells, my mom drove up from RI to pick up both my younger brother and me. I remember this quite clearly. My brother and I were both car-crazy kids; I must have been about 9, and he would have been 7. Neither of us wanted to go home, as that meant back to school. As mom sat in the back yard at my uncle's house in Wells, chatting with him and my aunt before driving back, I got one of those "bright ideas" that kids often get.

We checked out the family car, which mom had left parked in front of the house. The keys were in it! I told Bob, my brother, that I knew how to start the car. "Do not," he replied, sucking on a Tootsie pop. "Do so", I countered. We both scrambled into the car, me behind the driver's wheel. I turned the key, and the engine started! Just as I was trying to figure out how to get the thing in gear, mom came running out from behind the house, terrified. She ran to the car, pulled open the front door, reached in, turned off the ignition, and pulled out the keys.

Well! We didn't stay long after that! My uncle brought our bags out to the trunk, and my mother, visibly shaken, bid him good-bye and started off back home to RI. I'll skip the part about what transpired in the car on the way home. Suffice it to say, I never got behind the wheel again until I got my license at age 16! And it wasn't until I had children of my own that I understood what all the fuss had been about...

Old 04-11-2008, 06:24 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
Does anyone have fun memories to share when they were kids, like neighborhood kids all getting together for a game of kickball. Remember losing track of time and hearing your mom or dad yell your name that it's time to come home and being bummed out because you where having so much fun.
Being gone for hours and there wasn't a worry in the world that you were o.k., that's just the way things were. It was a different world, no computers, cell phones, just imagination and hanging with friends.
T came in around 7 pm after hanging out with friends after school. They've walked and ridden bikes a few miles today and hung out at a couple of houses. Where they hang out depends on whose mom made what. T does have a cell phone. She was too far away to yell to me and ask if she could stay out later so she called.

When a former tenant moved to Princeton from near Detroit, MI, she and her family came out for an evening. We cooked out, made a fire in the stone fireplace and all was well...until it got dark. My kids wanted to play hide and seek. She wouldn't let her kids play at first because it was too dark. I hadn't realized until then how much different life is out here compared to a lot of the rest of the world.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,236 times
Helping to "hang a May basket on" a local teenaged girl one evening many moons ago. Her beau hung the basket on her porch, knocked on the door, and all us kids ran into the fields and woods around the house, scattering to hide. The girl found her first person to "tag", then that person joined her to find and tag the others, and so on. As the kid hiding, you never knew if another person near you was hiding as well, or preparing to tag you.
Meanwhile the adults at the house had gone out onto the lawn to light a small bonfire in the cookout 'pit' so all us kids could see the fire and find our way back, eventually. Turned into quite a party. It was a long time ago but I'll never forget the fun we had then.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,728 times
I remember getting up early and being made to go to the garden to pick potato bugs off the plants and drop them into a jar of kerosene. I remember picking beans, cucumbers and peas until my back and legs ached but that did not matter, I did it anyway.
I remember later having to pick choke cherries for jam and being sent to pick wild strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or whatever was in season. I remember eating so many and not bringing many home. Wild strawberries have to be a gift from heaven.
I remember leaving early to go brook fishing with my brother. We would be gone all day. We would pack a lunch, steal some of my father's cigarettes and think we were the coolest kids in the world.
I remember playing endless games of sardines at night which is the opposite of hide and seek. One person hides and the others go looking for the hider. If you find them you join them and the game continues until everyone is together in one spot and there is only one person left looking for everyone. I also remember making my sister go hide and we all promised to look for her but we didn't.
I remember jars of lightening bugs with holes punched in the lid so they could breathe. Taking the jar to bed at night and thinking it was magical.
I remember trying very hard not to get wet while getting polywog eggs every spring.
I remember waiting for the milk man to come to deliver milk and hoping today would be the day my mom would buy ice cream from him.
I remember playing endless games of hopscotch. Of course we did not have a fancy painted hopscotch pattern, we drew it in the dirt and prayed nobody would ride their bike over it.
Remember fizzies? A tablet you dropped into your water that fizzed up and made what was supposed to be a fruit flavored drink.
I remember pixie stix and charms lollipops and candy necklaces. Pouring the pixie stix in water seemed like a great idea..it did not taste good. Eating part of the candy necklace which was on elastic string and letting it rest on your neck after and your neck would get all sticky but you didn't care.
I remember laundry being hung on the line to dry and if it was raining it got hung inside.
I remember finding Gilligan's Island and The Brady Bunch the best shows ever and crossing my heart and hoping to die that I would never find anyone I would love more than Greg Brady.
I will stop now. Thank you for a trip down memory lane.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
I remember my high school girlfriend....years later I found out EVERYONE has fond memories of my high school girlfriend!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:41 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,083 times
Lovely list of memories, stsdlouis. We must be of the same generation

Collecting dandelions and milk weed, making wishes and blowing out as many as possible

Picking wild daisies and chanting " he loves me, loves me not"

Harvesting pollywogs from the pond to try to raise in an old tub out back

Picking up nosegays from trees and twirling them and attempting to stick them to our noses

Building the absolutely best and most authentic eskimo igloo in deep winter and hurling snowballs at my brother and friends

Catching fireflies, trying to tame chipmunks and squirrels with peanuts

Endless afternoons on the swing set trying to go soo high and flip around

Jumping off the back porch ( second floor) into the piles of snow with my brother

Visiting the local drugstore and buying tons of penny and 2 cent candies

Seeing all the blue haired old ladies at church every Sunday all decked out
with gloves and fancy outfits

a small sample of many precious memories

Old 04-11-2008, 08:45 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstlouis View Post
I remember finding Gilligan's Island and The Brady Bunch the best shows ever and crossing my heart and hoping to die that I would never find anyone I would love more than Greg Brady.
Not David Cassidy?!?
How about the fat pink Bazooka bubble gum with Bazooka Joe comics?
Best way to remove a loose tooth ever invented.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:05 AM

513 posts, read 896,972 times
Visiting the local drugstore and buying tons of penny and 2 cent candies

I remember mint julips, squirrels, mary janes, hot balls, long sticks of bubble gum, wax shaped mini soda bottles filled with a flavored liquid.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:26 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
ahh yes mint julips and the squirrel candy....

i remember walking the railroad tracks to lucky strike lanes in gardiner,,6 strings for a buck (sat. am special)
i remember going out to "play" and be back by supper,,,if not my mother along with all the other mothers would just start hollaring, and like radar, we would somehow hear them.
i remember sleeping out in the tent, under the stars, telling spooky stories and hoping a bear wouldnt come along,,and eat us,,,

i miss those evenings,,,when we'd play kick the can,,,or the sardine type games, or tag,,,we'd all run to the house that had cool-aid,,not just water,(soda was quite the treat)
the air seemed fresher, the aroma of fresh cut grass, and sweat.. and when it did get dark, we'd sneak behind a house,,,to a backlawn, lay on the ground, and count the bats flying around...
on a hot summers day, we'd get the hose going and spray each other, we'd play badmitten, and croquet
these are the good memories.....

in high school, if we could catch a ride (without our mothers knowing) we'd go to the hallowell spring fed granite quarries,,,cliffs of 20, 40, and 60 feet ,,,to jump in the water...what a blast!!!

the fishing, and the hunting were all good memories too.

on saturday nights, creature double feature would be on,,,, we loved all the monster movies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine