Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:28 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,958,583 times

Advertisements

The June get together is in Eastport on the third Saturday, don't know exactly where yet. We'll be there on May 25, so we'll probably miss the May luncheon but I can't wait to meet all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 09:56 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,018,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It explains a lot, doesn't it?

(One of our freezers died a couple of weeks ago. It had the big meat like turkeys, venison and beef roasts and roasting chickens. There wasn't room for the turkey we raised named Stupid so we ate him after he finished thawing.)
LOL, I'm glad that got explained. I was having a hard time understanding how the previous remark was not insulting.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:20 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,321,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
LOL, I'm glad that got explained. I was having a hard time understanding how the previous remark was not insulting.
hehe Yesss... unless got the story on how MW names her "meals", then it may come out mean.
Tami~peachie

Old 04-19-2008, 12:55 PM

37,245 posts, read 60,976,905 times
I read the:
Quote:
... If "you are what you eat" are you sure you want to admit to having eaten "Stupid?"
passage to my Dw and she knew immediately what was meant.

We have raised a few 'stupids' too

Old 04-19-2008, 04:19 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,461,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I suppose, then, that he can take the blame for the greenhouse not getting heated the other day... <g>
I would be glad to blame my stupidity on the turkey but I have to claim that one. Final damage was as bad as I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I read the:

passage to my Dw and she knew immediately what was meant.

We have raised a few 'stupids' too
He's the only stupid turkey we've raised and he made up well for the other hundreds of turkeys that have gone through here. Stup would leave the flock, walk through the woods, come out on the road and keep walking. When it was time to go in to roost we could find him because he'd start gobbling for someone to come get him. He couldn't find his way home. He needed to be taken out of the gene pool.

Peachie, I was five minutes behind you flying out of the grocery store yesterday. I hate grocery shopping.

Last edited by Maine Writer; 04-19-2008 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: oops, asked a question that's already been answered!

Old 04-19-2008, 04:41 PM

37,245 posts, read 60,976,905 times
Our last round of turkey raising was with a breed of turkeys that are not capable of doing their own breeding. Now in my estimate somebody somewhere was stupid. Either people for breeding a strain of poultry not capable of re-populating their own race, or the birds for just being too stupid to figure out a way to 'do things'. [or us for having bought them without first studying the breed to find out all of this].

Old 04-20-2008, 07:48 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,321,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Peachie, I was five minutes behind you flying out of the grocery store yesterday. I hate grocery shopping.
I know... I saw you zippin' down the isle and rounded that last corner with only two wheels on the ground. hehe

Oh and I forgot so0oo much. I still have to go back and get more.
( I think I did what you mentioned... "Mr. Maine writer does",
something like.... this...
Example... I got swiss cheese.. but forgot Ham.
I just wanted out. I still haven't "gone to the store next to S&S to get those thinggggs I needed to either.

People say, sometimes.. "If I was rich, I go on a cruise or fly to Europe.
Well this "peachie" may say something like.....
"If I was rich I ordered groceries on line." lol

Click my LLBean mocs together 3 times at the grocery store and say, "There's no place like home."
I much rather be doing something outside in the yard.
Tami~peachie

Old 04-20-2008, 08:40 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,490,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
The June get together is in Eastport on the third Saturday, don't know exactly where yet. We'll be there on May 25, so we'll probably miss the May luncheon but I can't wait to meet all of you.
Woxy's great aunt's internment will be on the 24th of May.. unfortunately since we are taking the week of May 11th off for our 20th anniversary, we will most likely be unable to attend.

First to call dibs on a glass of sauvingon blanc for me and a beer for woxy, wins!!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:06 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,367,859 times
3rd week of June...hmmm....wonder if we'll be moving by then? May have to bum some plane tickets off of MIL! Either way, we'll be there!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:54 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,627,496 times
Default First remarks upon meeting

We got the chance to sit down with Northern Maine Land Man today ... A wonderful, knowledgeable and very wise fellow indeed... good discussions were had and I learned something early on...

There has been much discussion about setting aside land as "tree growth" here in the forum, but I have heard no mention of a similar set-aside for "open land." As NMLM explained it (correct me if I mis-remembered, please!) this set aside has a similar tax advantage as tree growth, but tree growth has to be renewed every 10 years and the management plan updated, with the professional expertise of a forester. And some towns are quick to hope that your forget to renew (others are more user-friendly and actually remind you... but not all do) and quick to slap you with the higher taxes. Open land does not require professional services to declare, does not need to be renewed and gives you almost the same tax break... you are just agreeing not to build on it.

But I have to chuckle at his opening question upon meeting me. "Is that a real Tilley?" Not the first time I have been asked it when folks see my favorite (more practical) hat... always by someone who also owns one.

NMLM was most patient with us, as we browsed lots of properties (I hope I can say this on the forum... ) and with luck and his help, hopefully we will be landing somewhere. And that is all I am going to say at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine