Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 10:10 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,095,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Yes, but did you have a direct view of the Atlantic Ocean the whole time. You don't have to answer. I already know.
Well... I have direct view of the ocean everyday, so this puts me in a privileged position. For people who live in cities, maybe this is important, but hiking 175 miles on craggy rocks is quite a feat. I’m betting that I would not remember the first 10 miles after completing the last 10 miles, and I could start over again.

But for purists who want the entire coastline to be free...yeah I can see their point of view. But its folly, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 05:08 PM

10 posts, read 8,120 times
I grew up in Searsport in the 60s and 70s, and while most of that shoreline was privately owned, we neither knew nor cared who owned it -- we went wherever we wanted along the shore, whenever we wanted, all the way from the town wharf to Moose Point, without ever once being told to "get off my property" by anyone. The idea of somebody restricting access to the shore on some argument of "property rights" would have been completely incomprehensible to us.

Walking on the shore was something to do when there was nothing else to do -- we didn't romanticize the shore the water at all. It was cold and grey and often smelly, and if you went in it without sneakers on, there was a pretty good chance you'd cut your feet on a hunk of rusty metal. So we couldn't really see why anybody would think it was a big deal to own part of the shore anyway.

I can go out of my house right now and stand in the middle of the street and see the ocean, but big whoop. I can also see the DuPont/FMC plant, and that's actually more interesting to look at.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:34 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,477,710 times
If it is not posted, I will access it. Plain and simple. If people post their land, I respect it. I have found very little private land posted the further downeast you get. I don't even attempt to go below Ellsworth very far, Ellsworth east is wide open country. Many people as stated in earlier posts make a living off the land owned by other people, as long as it is NOT POSTED. Lots of discussion here.....I see more NO TIPPING signs by the highway that any other posted sign.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
If it is not posted, I will access it. Plain and simple. If people post their land, I respect it. I have found very little private land posted the further downeast you get. I don't even attempt to go below Ellsworth very far, Ellsworth east is wide open country. Many people as stated in earlier posts make a living off the land owned by other people, as long as it is NOT POSTED. Lots of discussion here.....I see more NO TIPPING signs by the highway that any other posted sign.
Ellsworth isn’t really on the ocean. Maybe you mean Bar Harbor and east.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:24 PM

846 posts, read 1,011,080 times
I wouldn't mind people coming on my beach area. It's just the smashed beer bottles and all the other crap they carry in their drunken stupor to come look at a lighthouse. I am getting too old to go and pick up after them down the precipitice bank with trash bag in hand. You are supposed to get some kind of tax break for allowing people to use your waterfront.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:18 AM

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

The reason they can’t find workers is that they don’t pay a wage high enough for one person to live on. It is, has been, and always will be: ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. People will do the dumbest, most boring jobs if the money is GOOD.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-01-2019 at 01:03 AM..

Old 10-20-2019, 12:12 PM

37,245 posts, read 60,976,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Ellsworth isn’t really on the ocean.
Pardon me. As I review the map, it does appear to me that along route 230 [Bayside Road] in Ellsworth, there is about one mile of that road that follows the shoreline along the Union River tidalwaters.

Depending on the tide, that would be ocean water, or alternately brine water.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

IMO, having ocean water doesn’t mean being on the ocean.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:46 PM

8,815 posts, read 6,141,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
The reason they can’t find workers is that they don’t pay a wage high enough for one person to live on. It is, has been, and always will be: ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. People will do the dumbest, most boring jobs if the money is GOOD.
Exactly. Everyone makes some sort of decision, whether it be conscious or subconscious, to determine if an activity is worth doing. Most of those seasonal hotel and restaurant jobs are generally not worth it factoring in the low pay, housing costs or commuting costs, the sacrifice of personal time (a.k.a. opportunity cost) and effort. Tourist jobs are generally no reward junk jobs.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:05 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,858,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Pardon me. As I review the map, it does appear to me that along route 230 [Bayside Road] in Ellsworth, there is about one mile of that road that follows the shoreline along the Union River tidalwaters.

Route 230 follows the Union River for longer than a mile before coming to the Ellsworth/Trenton line. When speaking of downeast, I think Ellsworth is used in the discussion because US Rt. 1 passes through Ellsworth headed downeast. US Route 1 doesn't take you to Bar Harbor. Route 3 goes to Bar Harbor. It is a more direct route to go through Ellsworth and continue downeast on US Rt. 1 than to take a detour through Bar Harbor. I have friends on the Bayside Road in Ellsworth who are easily within walking distance to the ocean from their waterfront (ocean) homes. The ocean can be viewed in many spots while driving south on Rt. 230 (Water Street then becoming Bayside Road) The Union River flows into the Union River Bay. Since the downtown area of Ellsworth isn't on what might be called open ocean such as Bar Harbor or Winter Harbor or Stonington, etc. slyfox2 has developed his own opinion. There is a public marina and park in Ellsworth named Union River Harbor Park. High and low tides are clearly visible at this location. I have traveled by boat from this park down the river into the bay and back many times. I have traveled on Rt. 230 more times than I can count. The Union River is fresh water above the dam at Leonard Lake and points north and tidal below the dam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine