U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:06 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,162,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
More reasons to like you Zymer! Wow a list and everything! You have some nice firearms listed there. Guns,beer, if you have a motorcycle it's a trifecta!
LOL, Yamaha Virago 1100 Special, V-twin cruiser, my wife rides a Virago 535. What do I win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
There was a thread on another forum about riding motorcycles and carrying while traveling across the country. There were many who wouldn't even go across their state without being armed and on the other extreme was me. It never even occurred to me that I would need a gun on my 8700 mile motorcycle trip in June of '06.
I did a 10,000 mile road trip on the bike a while ago, I never thought I "needed" a gun, but there was one time, in a state park in Arkansas, when a bunch of rowdy, drunken local yahoos in a pick'em up truck came through looking for trouble and I kind of would have liked to have had one.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have."
--- I. Dunno

Old 04-23-2008, 03:08 PM

2,133 posts, read 3,610,213 times
Nope, no guns here. Don't hate them as they serve a purpose in the right hands.

Other than a couple of friends who are police officers, I don't know anyone who owns guns.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:16 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,676,995 times
This is my newest "baby." I sleep with it every night.
FAQ

Old 04-23-2008, 03:42 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,162,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post

But I have found something interesting about owning guns. These same buddies also own knives and have collections of those too. Is that common?
I don't know if it's common, I have a few. A Jim Bowie repro that was recently given to me, a short Gerber belt/boot knife, a standard Buck 110 folding knife and a couple of smaller pocket knives...oh, and a few sets of small throwing knives...and a WW2 issue bayonet...and a Civil War Cavalry saber (complete with bone nicks and bloodstains)...and a 38", two-handed broadsword.

I'm short one small Gerber pocket knife (which was a gift from my brother, and had a less than 2" blade) that "disappeared" when I went through the metal detector at the courthouse when I went to do my civic duty, I didn't realise it had been "confiscated" until after I got home.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:56 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,965,779 times
~holds the cold steel high ( of course it's only an air riffle to scare off the critters)

I hate those stories about children getting a hold of the guns and killing themselves or friends.

I think it's okay, in the right hands. It should not be easy to get a gun, and for those who have them, they are those who take great care in keeping their guns in a safe place.

Tami~peachie

Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,364,812 times
Default not yet

I do not have a gun yet. Won't talk about what K doesn't have <g> but we are going to get me one eventually. I would like to be able to learn to shoot well enough to hunt a bit. and of course to scare off varmits of 2- and 4 legged varieties;

I have a fun story about how my dad's 22 -- which was sitting in the corner by the door -- managed to "scare off" some alleged mass murderers (the FBI had previously -- a year or so earlier -- been by to talk to me because they had found the victims and I had both had a contact ad in the Mother Earth News and they had apparently found the alleged murderers copy with both ads circled. )

They came to visit us (I hadn't realized it was them until AFTER they left and we started thinking about it and pulled out the issue in which Mother had reported about it, with photos of the suspects) about a year later (awaiting trial apparently and out on bail). They brought up the news, I mentioned having talked to the FBI (didn't say when...) and also quite incidentally, closed the cabin door, revealing the gun.

They made excuses about having to get gas before they headed out in the morning (we were going to feed them supper and give them a place to camp overnight) and were gone never to return.

Never ever shot anything with that gun but tin cans...

Old 04-23-2008, 06:47 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,842,231 times
Do you own a gun? A gun - no. Guns - yes.

Do you love guns? Uncertain of the question. I don't collect guns.

Do you hate them? Uncertain again. Why would I hate an inanimate object?

Have you ever saved yourself or someone else by showing or actually using a gun? I believe I have, yes.

Do you think they should all be banned and gun owners are ruining the country? Certainly not! I bet all the folks who believe the media hype about some irresponsible and mentally unstable person shooting up a school or post office and votes to outlaw guns ..... will be the same folks looking for someone with a gun when they are in deep doo doo with thugs, muggers or other evil doers.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:52 PM

33,688 posts, read 10,443,080 times
No Guns here! In 68 years have never been in a situation that a gun would have helped or had a desire to kill a critter, for recreation. I have heard of tons of kids maimed and killed by guns that parents thought were locked securely away. No Guns here!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:07 PM

8,748 posts, read 10,930,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
LOL, Yamaha Virago 1100 Special, V-twin cruiser, my wife rides a Virago 535. What do I win?
My undying friendship!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 PM

47,955 posts, read 43,389,049 times
when the good guys have guns its makes the job of the bad guys much much more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine