U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 05:25 AM

10,224 posts, read 16,103,573 times

Advertisements

I'm going down to Augusta with a few hundred of my closest friends to pay a courtesy call on our governor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 06:11 PM

615 posts, read 1,084,221 times
Default The sunrise Trail in Ellsworth continues to be a respite. And the prospect that some summer may come, continues to entic

The sunrise Trail in Ellsworth continues to be a respite. And, mother nature, is teasing that we may have summer. That is a good sign. However, black flies!

Old 05-06-2020, 06:53 PM

6,473 posts, read 7,508,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
...cut a few apple twigs to force yesterday.
End of October I spent $400 on apple trees. Planted them at night after work in the dark, rain, cold and snow...damn deer had a feast. Not sure yet if any are going to survive...

Shrews got into my hives and killed them off. Picked up 3 nucs day before yesterday, got to get them hived tomorrow, weather permitting. Couldn't do it right away, because when I got home I found the dog laying in the grass, not moving...emergency vet just got my stimulus check...diagnosed with Hemorrhagic Gastro-Enteritis...

Old 05-06-2020, 07:05 PM

3,314 posts, read 6,203,933 times
I hope your pet recovers ok.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:18 AM

10,224 posts, read 16,103,573 times
I was the first registered Maine guide in Maine to guide with a sled dog team. "Hemorrhagic Gastro-Enteritis" is usually end stage of parvovirus or poison. I lost a dog to parvo. No other dog in my kennel died of it.

Sorry about your dog.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:23 PM

6,473 posts, read 7,508,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I hope your pet recovers ok.
Thanks, she is doing much better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I was the first registered Maine guide in Maine to guide with a sled dog team. "Hemorrhagic Gastro-Enteritis" is usually end stage of parvovirus or poison. I lost a dog to parvo. No other dog in my kennel died of it.

Sorry about your dog.
Thanks.

She is up to date on her shots and has not been in contact with other dogs. Based on that, and the results of the CBC, Parvo was ruled out. The more likely cause is her penchant for raiding the litter-box for 'kitty cookies'. It can also be caused by a diet too high in fats but we are generally careful about that.

We talked to our regular vet today, and she indicated that another possibility is a reaction to an event that occurred a week earlier- she got in a tussle with a porcupine and ended up with several hundred quills in her, some fairly deeply in her belly. I thought that the first time, a month ago, when I had to pull a dozen quills out of her nose had taught her a lesson...but, apparently not.

I doped her up with what I had on hand- benadryl, trazodone and tramadol and managed to get nearly a hundred quills out of her, but by that time, despite the drugs she was in considerable pain and was starting to fight me. The quills in her belly were in so deeply that I was concerned about my ability to get them out even without her fighting me, and I decided that she would be better off to be under general anesthesia to get the rest of them. The vet said that it was possible that some organs got nicked by the quills, and the damage wouldn't have shown up on the x-rays.

---------------------------------------

She is doing much better now, after a course of IV fluids and some medications. Doc said it was a good thing we brought her in as soon as we did, otherwise the blood would have begun clotting in her veins and it would be unlikely that she would recover from that.

Often I have a 'wait and see' attitude but this time her behavior was so markedly different and came on so suddenly that I was really concerned...glad I didn't wait this time...and if I *had* waited...I would *never* hear the end of it from the Mrs....

Old 05-07-2020, 05:02 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,186,458 times
Glad to hear your dog has improved. I am pretty sure my girl is vaccinated against parvo. There is considerable speculation about what causes hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. My dog first had symptoms at 2 a.m. one morning about 8 months ago. I immediately went online to see what i could learn. Based on my experience, if anyone out there has a dog passing a raspberry jam like bowel movement, get them to a vet and on an iv with the medication in it very soon. My girl fights taking pills and this illness left her with no appetite, extreme lethargy... so hiding a pill in food wasn't going to work. I watched give your dog a pill videos on YouTube. I guess they work for some. My dog would pretend to swallow it, hide the pill and then spit it out.

My understanding is that if treatment is postponed too long this condition will prove fatal. She would not eat or drink anything. Since dehydration can be a problem with this condition and the fact that i couldn't get a pill into her, the iv was a necessity. She now only eats prescription digestive wet dog food. She is worth it.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 05-07-2020 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-07-2020, 06:34 PM

3,314 posts, read 6,203,933 times
I'm really glad your friend is recovering. One of mine nudged a quill pig last week. Lots of quills that were easy to get out. That is the second time for her. I doubt that she will learn.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:06 PM

615 posts, read 1,084,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I'm really glad your friend is recovering. One of mine nudged a quill pig last week. Lots of quills that were easy to get out. That is the second time for her. I doubt that she will learn.
I had a vet friend tell me he’d pulled quills on same dog three times in one day. Instinct over intellect-for dog and owner!

Last edited by American girl; 05-07-2020 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 05-08-2020, 02:39 PM

791 posts, read 785,224 times
I am glad your dog is better. I am sorry Maine Girl's is not. I like my dog better than most people. He had some surgery last week. myself and the vet thought it was cancer, I'm glad to report we were both wrong after the biopsy tests came back. I am also sorry about the hives and apple trees Zymer. I know you put a lot of hard work into those projects. Hopefully some of your work is salvageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine