Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:48 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,573,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Gotta ask... what town is Blue Hill Books found in?
Probably Blue Hill! Just a guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 03:59 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,330,468 times
Blue Hill Books

Old 04-26-2008, 07:58 PM

67 posts, read 237,280 times
Default Blue Hill Books

Blue Hill Books is in Blue Hill, just off the corner of Main St. and RT 15. I should also mention there are two bookstores in town, but this one solidly gets my vote. It's well worth the trip if you're a hopeless bibliophile like me; some bookstores are far bigger, but I've never found one more comprehensive in a lifetime of happy browsing, and the owners and staff are all tops.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:28 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
if there was a poker game and many states were sittin at the table, the mainer would probly be the quiet-poker-faced player,,,,no matter what cards he had in his hand, (it could always be worse) his expression woudnt change,, and if the maine player happened to win, he would brush it off as luck,,,absolutely no arrogance or bragging, no "in your face" schtick.
he could have a million dollars in his pocket, yet still dress the same, doesnt feel any "image" pressure, and wouldnt want anyone else to know about it, and still complain how much a 20 oz pepsi costs.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 PM

65 posts, read 155,339 times
Sorry if I offended anyone - there are a lot of wonderful wonderful people living in Maine - but Maine can be damn frustrating at times. And I'm talking about more in a business and work sense than a home-life socializing way. And i've not tried to alter my house in any way, other than a few repairs, I don't want to stop the lobster men working at 4am, and i don't really want to change it in anyway.

I guess with the history of Maine it is understandable that people 'from away' are often not welcomed - but the very fact that there is a special term for them tells you much about the attitude towards newcomers that exists. On the other hand a large number of people have been fantastic so I'm by no means labeling every Mainer the same way.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y200 View Post
Sorry if I offended anyone - there are a lot of wonderful wonderful people living in Maine - but Maine can be damn frustrating at times. And I'm talking about more in a business and work sense than a home-life socializing way. And i've not tried to alter my house in any way, other than a few repairs, I don't want to stop the lobster men working at 4am, and i don't really want to change it in anyway.

I guess with the history of Maine it is understandable that people 'from away' are often not welcomed - but the very fact that there is a special term for them tells you much about the attitude towards newcomers that exists. On the other hand a large number of people have been fantastic so I'm by no means labeling every Mainer the same way.
No one is offended because believe me we've heard it all before. We (I) don't wish to make you're experience with Mainers any more difficult than it has already been.
We don't dislike new people at all. If you want to be like we are you'll fit in.
If you want to be like the mouthy morons that Seaglas described then you're going to find us hard to deal with. We don't care either way! It's your life. We already know each other and we're quite comfortable in our skin. We know the village idiot ,the professors, the painters, the repairmen, the teachers, housewives, policemen and pretty much everyone else who matters in our respective towns. Your opinion of us won't sway our way of life one iota. On the other hand if you want to embrace Saturday morning at the dump, bean suppers,firemen's musters, crappy winters,beautiful summers, good times and bad then you will probably be accepted.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,157,253 times
Quote:
The history of Maine is quite fascinating to say the least and it does explain the root of a lot of 'attitudes', especially towards those 'from away'.

Now, the word....it's nothing new nor unique to Maine itself. In Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota and South Dakota there are towns where even if you moved there when you were five and lived in that town until you were 90, you would never be recognized as being "from" that town (not to the locals, anyways) unless you had a relative buried in the local grave. Period. No exceptions. Doesn't mean that people will not accept you, quite the opposite, your just.....not one of them. Kind of like marrying into a family I guess; you become a part of a family but you're not related by blood and if you got divorced then no one will miss you when you are gone, but if you stay happily married then you will remain accepted as a part of the family, just don't expect any large inheritances, maybe

In California it is worse because the regionalism goes down to certain neighborhoods and even blocks. And no, it's not just the gangs that think this way.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The history of Maine is quite fascinating to say the least and it does explain the root of a lot of 'attitudes', especially towards those 'from away'.

Now, the word....it's nothing new nor unique to Maine itself. In Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota and South Dakota there are towns where even if you moved there when you were five and lived in that town until you were 90, you would never be recognized as being "from" that town (not to the locals, anyways) unless you had a relative buried in the local grave. Period. No exceptions. Doesn't mean that people will not accept you, quite the opposite, your just.....not one of them. Kind of like marrying into a family I guess; you become a part of a family but you're not related by blood and if you got divorced then no one will miss you when you are gone, but if you stay happily married then you will remain accepted as a part of the family, just don't expect any large inheritances, maybe

In California it is worse because the regionalism goes down to certain neighborhoods and even blocks. And no, it's not just the gangs that think this way.
That's it in a nutshell....you'll never be "from" here so you'll never be a native. It doesn't mean that we won't grow to like you and respect you it means you'll always be the guy from....fill in the blank.
That said I think I'd rather be that wonderful guy from wherever than that complaining jerk from wherever.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,374,865 times
Quote:

I looked for a definition and I guess this one's pretty good. I'll always be considered from away now, even though I was born and raised there. But I don't take it that seriously. Any more than being called a flatlander. I also noticed that the term 'from away' is used in Newfoundland and Austrailia too.

Quoddy Loop Lexicon

Old 04-27-2008, 09:59 PM

653 posts, read 1,910,241 times
now i know what flatlander is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I looked for a definition and I guess this one's pretty good. I'll always be considered from away now, even though I was born and raised there. But I don't take it that seriously. Any more than being called a flatlander. I also noticed that the term 'from away' is used in Newfoundland and Austrailia too.

Quoddy Loop Lexicon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine