U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 AM

6 posts, read 6,762 times

Advertisements

Having lived in Bangor my whole life of 52 years and now having grown children who live and work in Portland I would opt and will be moving to the Portland area this summer. The attitude of people in Southern Maine is so much more 2008 and pleasing than folks living in this area of the state. Portland offers much more in the arena of entertainment, the arts, social activities, growth, and as one posting states much more accessible to Boston and other New England spots. Choose Portland and you will not regret your choice!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 AM

2,712 posts, read 3,586,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueMainer View Post
Having lived in Bangor my whole life of 52 years and now having grown children who live and work in Portland I would opt and will be moving to the Portland area this summer. The attitude of people in Southern Maine is so much more 2008 and pleasing than folks living in this area of the state. Portland offers much more in the arena of entertainment, the arts, social activities, growth, and as one posting states much more accessible to Boston and other New England spots. Choose Portland and you will not regret your choice!
Depends on what you are looking for... I am looking for stability, the outdoors, little light pollution... a place to take root, grow things, do my arts. Oh I may make trips to the more urban and "happening" areas to sell stuff now and then, but for my day in and day our joy of living, I prefer the "boonies" in the Bangor area. I make my own entertainment and have more than enough social activities ... more than I need at times, it sometimes seems!

Bangor and Portland are (thanfully!) two different places and likely appeal to different folks. Viva la differance!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:21 PM

199 posts, read 77,540 times
I'd opt for Portland unless someone wants immediate access to a wilder area of the state.

Portland is a very cosmopolitan small city with lots of things to do and some excellent restaurants and nightlife entertainment. There are many schools in the area, and the 90 mile drive to Boston is a real plus....one of the best little big cities in the country.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,707,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Depends on what you are looking for... I am looking for stability, the outdoors, little light pollution... a place to take root, grow things, do my arts. Oh I may make trips to the more urban and "happening" areas to sell stuff now and then, but for my day in and day our joy of living, I prefer the "boonies" in the Bangor area. I make my own entertainment and have more than enough social activities ... more than I need at times, it sometimes seems!

Bangor and Portland are (thanfully!) two different places and likely appeal to different folks. Viva la differance!
What kind of telescope do you have?

Old 04-29-2008, 06:11 PM

21,881 posts, read 28,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
I've always had a vanity plate, so making any kind of gesture would never have been a good idea. Too easily identifiable, that would be embarassing.
LOL

One of the things that I do like about Maine is the plates Maine has. Our vehicle plates have one of my combat medals on them. From my observation Maine drivers tend to be far more polite than other places where we have lived. And generally from what I have observed drivers appear to be even nicer to folks with a 'POW' plate, or with a 'Purple Heart' plate.

I like this.

Is this different down South in Portland? I have no idea.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 PM

34,215 posts, read 11,428,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
LOL

One of the things that I do like about Maine is the plates Maine has. Our vehicle plates have one of my combat medals on them. From my observation Maine drivers tend to be far more polite than other places where we have lived. And generally from what I have observed drivers appear to be even nicer to folks with a 'POW' plate, or with a 'Purple Heart' plate.

I like this.

not being a veteran of the service....I have no idea how I would be treated if I had a medal on the plate.....its not that drivers are unkind, it is that they drive with an edge....a competitive edge. Of course California drivers were even worse....I learned to drive and enjoy driving in a kinder and gentler time. When I lived in small town NH I found the driving more simpatico....but like I say, its not a big deal to me....I just have to remember not to expect anyone to give me a break on the road.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,874,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
LOL

I like this.

When you've lived in the same small town pretty much your whole life, people know you and what you drive. When you switch your plate over to your next vehicle, they still know you. Everyone seems to read plates, it's fun! I've seen some that are truly mysterious and I was never able to figure them out. Others are just cute. One of my faves I've seen in Brunswick for years, and I related to this as most parents would... PB4UGO!

No, I don't think driving in the southern part of the state is any different, I can't imagine that anyone, young or old, that recogized a POW plate or a VET plate wouldn't tend to be a tad more generous on the road. I would think it would be pretty much expected... just my opinion.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,707,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
When you've lived in the same small town pretty much your whole life, people know you and what you drive. When you switch your plate over to your next vehicle, they still know you. Everyone seems to read plates, it's fun! I've seen some that are truly mysterious and I was never able to figure them out. Others are just cute. One of my faves I've seen in Brunswick for years, and I related to this as most parents would... PB4UGO!

No, I don't think driving in the southern part of the state is any different, I can't imagine that anyone, young or old, that recogized a POW plate or a VET plate wouldn't tend to be a tad more generous on the road. I would think it would be pretty much expected... just my opinion.
My Plate is Z-Pinch ...figure that one out!

Maineah will be receiving guesses at his DM account and promises a bountiful present for the first correct guess

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-29-2008 at 10:45 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 AM

103 posts, read 388,750 times
Great thread--keep the posts coming! These posts are very helpful and informative. We will arrive to house shop in Maine in May and are leaning toward Portland and the surrounding communities.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:14 AM

2,349 posts, read 3,522,212 times
Z-pinch, did you mean ZETA PINCH?

I prefer Portland because of its proximity in Southern Maine. As far as the having the opportuntity to get outdoors and away, I see little difference between portland and bangor......both offer it. I would think if you wanted a scaled down version of what Portland has to offer and were concerned about sprawl ect i guess you coud make a case for Bangor as whatever growth the state experiences will more than likely effect portland first. But I have had limited exposure to bangor so its all and opinion anyway. Both sound like decent places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine