Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:28 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-pint View Post
I'm getting a great education from you all regarding Maine tree growth...thanks!
You are welcome

Quote:
... Would digging a well require taking an acre out of tree growth status?
Thanks, Kim
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 12:32 PM

22 posts, read 71,323 times
No.[/quote]
Great news! Thanks again!

Old 11-06-2008, 06:39 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,122 times
forest, question for you. do you plant or have any sugar maple tree grow on your land. my tree growth status need to be recertify in 2010, i want to grow sugar maple trees. I know by the time trees mature to tap for sugar, i may not be here see it. I can get seedling from Virginia Forestry, 1000 seedling 12"-18" for $295 deliver to Virginia address.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:46 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Make sure they are sugar maples, not red maples.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:51 PM

they will be lable as sugar maple, i don't think i can tell the difference. i would assume they will bare root and no leaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Make sure they are sugar maples, not red maples.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
forest, question for you. do you plant or have any sugar maple tree grow on your land. my tree growth status need to be recertify in 2010, i want to grow sugar maple trees. I know by the time trees mature to tap for sugar, i may not be here see it. I can get seedling from Virginia Forestry, 1000 seedling 12"-18" for $295 deliver to Virginia address.
I have a mixture of maples on my land.

Sugar Maples [Acer Saccharum] has the highest sugar content of all maples. However all maples produce sap with sugar in it.

Having spoken with maple vendors at the Farmer's Market, few of them use pure sugar maple sap. Everyone harvests maple sap and mixes it.

If your land has Red Maples or Silver Maples, Norway Maples you can harvest the sap and use all of it.

It takes many years for a maple to get big enough to tap.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
... I can get seedling from Virginia Forestry, 1000 seedling 12"-18" for $295 deliver to Virginia address.
That is a real good price.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:25 PM

i have no idea what grow on my land at this time. I may have to call forester, may be they will come and walk the land with me to help indentify trees.
I will need to look for a company the harvest trees for pulp, hope fully would not cost me any things, and hopefully they can select cut and leave any maple trees standing.
i think i can use pick to dig and just plant the bare root tree, that way it would be easy for me to transport them from VA to ME.

timing is a major issue for me, last shiping date is the last week of April, i don't know how long i have to wait to plant in Maine.

Virginia has a reforest program, they sell tree below cost to help reforest the area.

my land in Virginia is also under forest land status, to qualify land must be 20 acres or more no need forester to write up the plan and is forever or when owner change or request to remove. tax is about the same what we pay in Maine per acre, the penalty is not at bad as ME, i took a acre out to build a house, the penalty is the tax deffered from land asses as forest land and the residentual land tax in the last 5 years plus interest penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Sugar Maples [Acer Saccharum] has the highest sugar content of all maples. However all maples produce sap with sugar in it.

Having spoken with maple vendors at the Farmer's Market, few of them use pure sugar maple sap. Everyone harvests maple sap and mixes it.

If your land has Red Maples or Silver Maples, Norway Maples you can harvest the sap and use all of it.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
i have no idea what grow on my land at this time. I may have to call forester, may be they will come and walk the land with me to help indentify trees....
In the summer, walk through the land. Look at the leaves.

A maple leaf is easy to recognize.

No need to hire a forester.

Buy maples for your Virginia land and plant them in Virginia. Then in the summer come up to Maine and walk through your forest.

My land was clear cut. They cut down every tree. Many of them shot back up from the stumps.

The maple stumps have regrown as clusters of shoots.

So I identified 100 of them in the summer, and now with the sap being drawn down into the root systems, I have cut down all but the straightest shoot from each stump.

In the spring, when the sap rises again, it will only go into that one shoot.

They should grow a lot at that point.

I am not replanting maples, so much as trying to re-establish to former maples.

We will see.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:20 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

I planted 5 sugar maples last year. They now have deer rubs and scrapes real bad. May have to replace them this year and fence them off. My research gives an rough guess of 30 years till you can tap your tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine