U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 06:48 PM

4,110 posts, read 1,867,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Harpswell isn't what I'd call walkable though. There's not much town to speak of. But if you drive into nearby Brunswick, that's very walkable.
It's been quite awhile since I've been to Harpswell, but that's what I recall - very pretty with all the nooks and crannies and rocky coves being plied by old-timey lobsterboats, but no real "downtown" or village that things were centered around, just homes, small shops, and restaurants kind of lightly sprinkled all over the finger-like land masses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 07:40 PM

5,469 posts, read 2,156,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I've been looking online at coastal traps and I get starry eyed. I grew up on the NJ shore about 20 minutes away and experienced nightmare with heavy tourist traffic.

What inland towns do you recommend?
its a bit like "who should I marry".
But I do know theres a whole other maine.
we happened across it by accident, we came north lured by the price of the houses and loved the character of the people. But its not for everyone, one person was complaining in one of the forums that they can't get vine tomatoes like in ny. Thats someone in the wrong state.
I love nyc, the things you can find there if you know where to look, its a lot of fun.
but I love the place I've retired to. Upstate NY is very nice too but the taxes are higher.

For me personally I like it better north of the volvo line (bangor).

Old 06-15-2020, 09:09 PM

57 posts, read 73,390 times
I am a seasonal resident of Harpswell, and intend to live here full time after retirement. I'm getting a taste of full time living because of the pandemic - I've been here since March. My neighbors are a 50/50 mix of full timers and seasonal residents. I love it here, and can't wait to move permanently. I have posted a few pictures of Harpswell and surroundings in the picture thread going back a few years.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:33 AM

2,844 posts, read 1,059,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugatam View Post
I am a seasonal resident of Harpswell, and intend to live here full time after retirement. I'm getting a taste of full time living because of the pandemic - I've been here since March. My neighbors are a 50/50 mix of full timers and seasonal residents. I love it here, and can't wait to move permanently. I have posted a few pictures of Harpswell and surroundings in the picture thread going back a few years.
I've looked at houses online in Harpswell. Do all the houses have wells or is there city water available?

We worry about wells as two MA friends had to redrill their wells when water dried up.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulfurDog View Post

I asked my friends who have always lived here if we got lucky last summer and they told me that it was typical. I think the only "heavy" traffic in this area is downtown Camden and honestly you'd find going to Home Depot on a Saturday afternoon on Route 6 more trying.. In fact one of my friends who has been here for over 30 years said that he was very surprised upon moving here that there are no traffic reports on the radio, lol. Just news and weather.
My husband has been complaining about Yorktown traffic. While Kmart shopping center is almost empty, Lowes to build a complex off of the Taconic on 202. The construction tied up traffic for a year. It's completed so its better now but they added two extra traffic lights.

If Camden traffic better than Route 6 traffic, then it's easy to deal with.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:47 AM

In addition to the towns I mentioned earlier: Camden/Rockport, Brunswick and Scarborough, I'd also suggest at least considering the following:

- Damariscotta - lively riverfront town near the coast, with practical shopping and places to eat downtown, a small hospital that's part of the MaineHealth network in town, and quiet coastal communities down the peninsulas to explore nearby. No Amtrak or airport, but it's just off Route 1 in midcoast, and maybe 40mins drive to Brunswick and 1 hour to Portland

- Belfast - probably the quietest of the towns I mentioned, a little more out of the way, but carries most of the same attributes that I just gave for Damariscotta, plus people seem very friendly and there is a good community spirit.

- Ellsworth - many people visiting Maine blow through the outskirts of Ellsworth on their way to Mt Desert Island via I-95, but I think the old downtown section of Ellsworth is actually very nice, has that Mayberry feel that I like (if you know the old Andy Griffith show)... and there is a small hospital right in town, a small regional airport just outside in Trenton, and you have the anchor hospital for the Northern Light network (EMMC) plus a good sized airport up in Bangor about 45 mins away, and some beautiful coastal areas for daytripping to the southeast.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
For me personally I like it better north of the volvo line (bangor).
I just had to say that this is hilarious and so true...”north of the Volvo line”...aka north of “North Boston”.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
Yes, do check out lots of different towns and places. I see you listed Peaks--my brother lives there, so I know a little about it. The lots are small but the houses are charming, and the island has a strong cohesive identity. Nice little grocery store. If you can handle the ferry--my husband says he couldn't live there, because of the ferry--which complicates things quite a bit, you might just love it. If I lived there, I don't think I'd ever go to the mainland!
I loved vacationing on Peaks Island last fall. I love the ferry! The supermarket sells everything including french wines! It's different and I want something different now.

My problem is the houses in my price range have small lots. However, I'm keeping an eye out for new listing.

When we lived in Norwood, MA on a 5,000 sq ft lot, our neighbors pitched their pop-up camper outside their back door which was outside our bedroom window. We heard everything they said and I know they heard everything we said too. I'm trying to avoid that situation again.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
In addition to the towns I mentioned earlier: Camden/Rockport, Brunswick and Scarborough, I'd also suggest at least considering the following:

- Damariscotta - lively riverfront town near the coast, with practical shopping and places to eat downtown, a small hospital that's part of the MaineHealth network in town, and quiet coastal communities down the peninsulas to explore nearby. No Amtrak or airport, but it's just off Route 1 in midcoast, and maybe 40mins drive to Brunswick and 1 hour to Portland

- Belfast - probably the quietest of the towns I mentioned, a little more out of the way, but carries most of the same attributes that I just gave for Damariscotta, plus people seem very friendly and there is a good community spirit.

- Ellsworth - many people visiting Maine blow through the outskirts of Ellsworth on their way to Mt Desert Island via I-95, but I think the old downtown section of Ellsworth is actually very nice, has that Mayberry feel that I like (if you know the old Andy Griffith show)... and there is a small hospital right in town, a small regional airport just outside in Trenton, and you have the anchor hospital for the Northern Light network (EMMC) plus a good sized airport up in Bangor about 45 mins away, and some beautiful coastal areas for daytripping to the southeast.
Thanks - all good information. I really want something different from the typical NY/NJ suburbs. The coast seems to fit. I like Camden/Rockport area. I'll look at Belfast/Damariscotta/Ellsworth too.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Thanks - all good information. I really want something different from the typical NY/NJ suburbs. The coast seems to fit. I like Camden/Rockport area. I'll look at Belfast/Damariscotta/Ellsworth too.
Everyone has different priorities and needs, but for what it's worth, I bought a small village lot in Camden, and really like the Camden/Rockport area. It's lively, with plenty of things to do in town, even a small arts scene, a farmer's market, practical shopping and medical services, and beautiful nature nearby with public lands for walking, nice streams, ponds and lakes for kayaking and fishing.

The main street/Route 1 can certainly be a little congested in Camden in the high season, but you can get around that on the side streets, and it's actually fairly quiet, even in Camden, once you get off Route 1, and then if you are living on the backside, off e.g. Barnestown Road, it's plenty quiet. Rockport is quieter, with the village center off Route 1, and again, the backside is plenty quiet... Rockport and Camden used to be one town. Rockland, Owls Head, Lincoln Village and Belfast are all also closeby with additional points of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine