Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 10:54 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,198,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
UGH!!! I hope you at least got to keep their earnest money as compensation for them just changing their minds. I'd be pretty pissed off.

I wish you luck with one of the back-up offers!
Unfortunately this is happening more and more often as the market frenzy continues. Every state is different, but in Maine, the earnest money is refunded to the buyer as long as they are in their contingency period that was negotiated in the purchase and sale agreement. The buyer gets to tie up the house for several days or more and then the house goes "back on market," leading to future buyer questions as to why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 02:08 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,194,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
The way life should be? (I couldn't resist!)
That might be because of the barking shepherds...

Old 09-14-2020, 03:34 PM

7,132 posts, read 3,960,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Unfortunately this is happening more and more often as the market frenzy continues. Every state is different, but in Maine, the earnest money is refunded to the buyer as long as they are in their contingency period that was negotiated in the purchase and sale agreement. The buyer gets to tie up the house for several days or more and then the house goes "back on market," leading to future buyer questions as to why.
Westchester, NY is in such a frenzy that realtors aren't collecting earnest money.

On Saturday morning, we had another request for a showing. We quickly left our house at 10 am. The prospective buyers didn't show up until 11 am and stayed for a whole hour.

We left for our Maine trip two hours later than planned. However, all is forgiven! They made an offer and scheduled the inspection for Wednesday.

We stayed at a nice B&B in Freeport and drove up Route 1 - Boothbay Harbor, Wiscasset, Thomaston, Newcastle, Camden, Belfast where we turn back around. I would like to see Brunswick, Bath and Searsport, and Eastport before making any decisions.

I love Maine!

Old 09-14-2020, 07:55 PM

846 posts, read 1,010,630 times
Good. I think my home in NC is going to sell, at least we had an offer we excepted. I live in Maine full time nowadays and have not one regret other than the dishonesty surrounding the building trades.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Westchester, NY is in such a frenzy that realtors aren't collecting earnest money.

On Saturday morning, we had another request for a showing. We quickly left our house at 10 am. The prospective buyers didn't show up until 11 am and stayed for a whole hour.

We left for our Maine trip two hours later than planned. However, all is forgiven! They made an offer and scheduled the inspection for Wednesday.

We stayed at a nice B&B in Freeport and drove up Route 1 - Boothbay Harbor, Wiscasset, Thomaston, Newcastle, Camden, Belfast where we turn back around. I would like to see Brunswick, Bath and Searsport, and Eastport before making any decisions.

I love Maine!

just a side note, Eastport is nothing like any of the other towns on your list. Not even close.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:17 PM

We got another offer. It's lower than the previous offer by $10,000.

After the inspection, they want to lower the price by another $10,000. Their reasoning is the central air is twelve years old and could go at any minute. My husband runs it at 69 degrees all summer and I'm watching TV under a blanket.

My broker wants to get them down to $3,500 from the original $10,000. Really, I don't want to give up anything more.

So my question for C-D - - - is this how real estate sales go in Maine? Should I offer people ten or twenty thousand dollars less their asking price? Is there less or more negotiation? Do people use inspections to lower prices?

It's crazy because the previous inspection went so well. The previous inspector said it was in the top 5% of houses he has seen this year.

I don't mind fixing something that is broken, but paying for central air which is still working seems crazy. They seem to only want to lower the negotiated price.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 09-17-2020 at 07:12 PM..

Old 09-18-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:

After the inspection, they want to lower the price by another $10,000. Their reasoning is the central air is twelve years old and could go at any minute. My husband runs it at 69 degrees all summer and I'm watching TV under a blanket.

My broker wants to get them down to $3,500 from the original $10,000. Really, I don't want to give up anything more.

So my question for C-D - - - is this how real estate sales go in Maine? Should I offer people ten or twenty thousand dollars less their asking price? Is there less or more negotiation? Do people use inspections to lower prices?

It's crazy because the previous inspection went so well. The previous inspector said it was in the top 5% of houses he has seen this year.

I don't mind fixing something that is broken, but paying for central air which is still working seems crazy. They seem to only want to lower the negotiated price.
#1 never offer full price

#2 Offer whatever you want. It's a business transaction.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:36 AM

890 posts, read 659,745 times
I had to do that on two out of three of my last house sales, lower the price by 10,000 just because they asked--I think they were not qualifying for mortgage or they did not know how expensive insurance was. By the point they asked, we were a couple of weeks from closing, so I said okay, just lower it, I need the sale to go through.

It was weird, but maybe it's a new normal of negotiating.

I would just take the lower price if you want to work with this buyer. If you are confident you'll get another buyer, then move on.

We are finding the Maine market crazy and losing out on bids because we bid less than full price. But you have to offer what you want, and not start playing games like some of these buyers seem to be doing.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:04 AM

11,947 posts, read 9,020,679 times
Quote:

I am not making offers now so I don't have my finger on the pulse of conditions in Maine. In a slow real estate market, you can look to make your own bargains by underbidding. In a hot market, assuming the house is desirable and priced fairly, you better offer full price, or even better, if you ever expect to get a house, because the sellers will have multiple offers to choose from. Part of knowing what to bid of course is knowing the market and the property well enough to value it yourself fairly well. For some properties, the asking price is a bargain, and for others, the owners are totally unrealistic - you need to be your own value-meter, and in basic terms your offer should be relative to value, not relative to asking price. Beyond that, consider how hot the market is for adjustments.

I have paid asking price or $1K-$2K over, for various reasons... and I have also paid $20K under... just different properties, different markets, different situations... never regretted a purchase... For example, the first house I bought was a big Italianate in a very slow market in depressed western NY, and I paid a little over the asking price... which may sound odd, but, the house had already been sold for many weeks... and it turned out that the buyers were having trouble obtaining a loan...so I essentially had to convince the owner to drop their interest in the purchase that had already been agreed on (there is always an escape clause for sellers if the buyer can't get financing). I absolutely loved the house and thought it was a great price, so slow market or not, I offered $1K-$2K over. It got the seller's attention, she invoked the escape clause... the buyers had 2-3 weeks to come up with the loan, and they couldn't do it, and I got the house :-). Later, despite a huge Kodak layoff and even worse local economic conditions, I did okay at sale time. But I knew what I was buying when I made the offer - my own appraisal of value and the situation drove my offer, not just a rigid rule about how much to pay.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-18-2020 at 08:41 AM..

Old 09-18-2020, 05:04 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses. It's important to know.

My prospective buyer offer was $35,000 under my list price. We asked them to raise the bid by $15,000 which they did. However, they used the inspection to bring the price down to their original offer. They were only putting 5% down which means a jumbo mortgage, so who knows.

@phoebesmom
Quote:
But you have to offer what you want, and not start playing games like some of these buyers seem to be doing.
A friend said before HG-TV, real estate was more straightforward. In her opinion, buyers want perfection now. Also everyone thinks they are a real estate wheeler-dealer now. I think there is something to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine