U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,967,724 times
Default a maine' dinner at my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Macaroni Scallop? is that like mac and cheese the real way (box not included?)
yeah.
WE had it on Sundays. the box was never found. My mom says I make better then her. That's a compliment, she is a great cook. I don't make it much. I'm really the only one that likes it in my home. But, it reminds me of being a young girl... and after a longgggg day outside with friends and hearing my mom yell across the yards my brother and I would dart for the house.. then to the sink to wash up and sit with a plate full of this pasta creation. Good Times~

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Red Dye #40 baby...!!!

Mmm...Mmm...Good!!!
LOL
yeah... that's good stuff. LOL Everything that is "bad for us, we can't seem to get enough of. Isn't that strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
when I hear a new englander say scallop as in scalloped potatoes or summer squash I think of a casserole thickened with crushed saltines and having butter and cream or milk and black pepper. Scalloped tomatoes had bread croutons instead of crackers and no milk.....scallopped macaroni....????? maybe macaroni with cracker crumbs and milk???????

I hope someone will fill us in.
You add milk, butter slices, cubes of cheese layered through out the macaroni and then top it with cracker crumbs then slow bake. It's just something I had as a kid, and that's what it was called.

Tami~peachie

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 04-29-2008 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: added a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 03:43 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,367,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
when I hear a new englander say scallop as in scalloped potatoes or summer squash I think of a casserole thickened with crushed saltines and having butter and cream or milk and black pepper. Scalloped tomatoes had bread croutons instead of crackers and no milk.....scallopped macaroni....????? maybe macaroni with cracker crumbs and milk???????

I hope someone will fill us in.
Yes, you description of scalloped almost fits what I do with cabbage, and also broccoli and cauliflower when they are the ones on sale <g> they are related, after all! My mom's scalloped potatoes (midwestern) had some grated cheddar I believe, as do my scalloped cabbage, et al.

I have turned my casserole into a main dish by adding diced ham.

The crackers thicken and sometimes garnish as well.. and I have seen folks do that with homemade mac and cheese (macaroni, granted cheese and milk rather than macaroni with a cheese sauce) which is what made me make the connection with this reference.

I am hoping for clarification as well!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:56 PM

2,052 posts, read 2,715,485 times
Jordans and Kirschner hot dogs suck now.

Rices still rock!

National brands will sometimes vary in ingredients, depending on where they are sold, I was once told.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:34 AM

7,205 posts, read 13,456,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
You add milk, butter slices, cubes of cheese layered through out the macaroni and then top it with cracker crumbs then slow bake. It's just something I had as a kid, and that's what it was called.

Tami~peachie
Sounds like something that my mom used to make when I was a kid. Nix the cracker crumbs and add onions and it would be a perfect match. Of course, we'd then pour ketchup all over it as well

Old 04-30-2008, 04:47 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,586,089 times
Traditional Maine food to me depends upon the season. Fall & winter foods are all about the comfort foods. Beef Stews, Pot Roasts, Corn Chowders, etc. Spring and summer foods to me are throwing anything on the grill and and eating lighter.

My mom could always turn any leftover meal into a hash that was always amazing. The difference between she and I, she loves to cook. I do it just because I have to. To use the word "enjoy" would be a great exaggeration in my case.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:35 AM

4,893 posts, read 7,043,495 times
Reading this thread is not helping my diet one bit! I think I've just gained 5 pounds reading everyone's great posts!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:36 AM

5,054 posts, read 7,684,443 times
I'm just glad I'll be able to go outside there and walk, bike and hike - that should help make up for blowing my diet on all those "traditional Maine foods" I'll never be able to resist!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:18 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,967,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Of course, we'd then pour ketchup all over it as well
I know... ketchup... was all over everything. I don't think I remember not seeing a bottle of ketcup on the table for almost every meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Traditional Maine food to me depends upon the season. Beef Stews, Pot Roasts, Corn Chowders, etc. Spring and summer foods to me are throwing anything on the grill and and eating lighter.
Same with me.. I almost forgot about the corn chowder days. Of course mom chopped the onions big, since I wasn't an "onion lover" as a babe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Reading this thread is not helping my diet one bit! I think I've just gained 5 pounds reading everyone's great posts!
ditto.. as I reach to open the frig.

Tami~peachie

Old 04-30-2008, 09:52 AM

5,054 posts, read 7,684,443 times
Speaking of Maine foods.......Peachie, what kind of food do you serve in your restaurant?

PS. I didn't know as a kid that mac n cheese even came in a little box! We always had the homemade version straight from the oven. Grandma would have been mortified! We were lucky!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 AM

431 posts, read 579,697 times
My dad always ate crackers and milk for Sunday supper. Gross. We used to buy "strip fish" at Mike's Country Store. Dried and salted fish and we "stripped" hunks off to eat which is why we called it strip fish, I guess. Pickled wrinkles - also gross - are little Maine snails in vinegar that my dad also liked. Tripe - another gross offering. Old Mainers weren't so picky as us young 'uns I guess. We ate so many lobsters when we were kids that we'd often begged off for hot dogs. Dad did some welding work for a Swan's Island lobsterman and he paid us in lobsters. When we had lobsters all we had with them were white bread and humpty dumpty potato chips, butter and miracle whip (imagine!) First time I asked my date what I should fix to go with lobster I was appalled to think someone would want potato, corn and salad with them. Of course now they are so expensive that you can't feast on them like we did in the old days. When I waited tables as a teenager we loved it when tourists ordered lobster because they only ate the claws and the tail - sometimes not even the tail - and Mainers know that the best part is the body and the feelers. We'd scarf down all the left overs - nothing wrong with as it was protected by the shell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine