Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 05:20 AM

973 posts, read 2,366,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

The tax assessor office only taxes what they can see when they are on your property.
Not true, especially in Unorganized Townships under LUPC control. Guess they never shared the aerial photos with you that they monitor development with. Especially around waterfront properties, they keep a close eye on property development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 07:56 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,445,696 times
Thanks all for the comments on the taxes and assessments, including the reference to AL. With the tax cited by Submariner, the assessed value (in that case) has to be pretty low to end up with that tax amount with the county rate cited. (At least as how I am imagining his house.. which could be all wrong!)

I know that in my looking at various ME properties of interest, I am budgeting more for property tax in Maine. (But is it not anything like NY or NJ or IL levels, thank goodness.)

The info on the permit process in the UT's is pretty interesting. I'll have to look more into that. With the property 'flying off the shelves' in all the places of interest to me (parts of ME, ID, WY, and MT), we may end up building, so I have been learning permitting and inspections processes in various locales.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:40 AM

23,878 posts, read 32,156,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyy172 View Post
Hello all! We are a young couple with 2 kids and one on the way living in rural Alabama. We have some family in New Hampshire and Vermont. We have visited a few times and been to old orchard beach ME. We have fallen in love with the Northeast and are throwing around the idea of moving up there. I am a teacher and my husband works on light signals and does welding. He also has experience in water and sewer and also runs a landscaping business. He is very handy and loves to work. We are comparing these three states trying to find which is the best fit for us and our growing family. We want to live in a rural area, as we have a farm and plan to have a farm up there. We like community and do not want to be in or near a big city. We would like to be close to a decent town , especially for work. Again, we want a small farm(30+ acres at least, would like more) so property and property taxes is a big deal for us. Is Maine a good fit for us? What are some areas close to what we are looking for ? We also love to be outdoors, mountains, and kid friendly things to do. But want to live comfortably and not have to work multiple jobs to survive.

Also how well would we fit in? We are Christians and have more conservative views. We are open minded and love people in general but also don't want to be pushed around. I know someone mentioned some nasty things about Vermont people which turned us away from it, saying I may be fired or treated awful at my job because I don't have liberal views like most Vermont teachers. I hate to think people are like that. Please give us any raw and honest advice.
Hello. As you can see, I currently do not live in Vermont, Maine, or New Hampshire, but our 20 something son does - he went to college there and fell in love with it, and "found his tribe" so to speak. We spend collectively a few months in Vermont, and visit NH, which is right across the Connecticut River from where our kiddo has settled, and occasionally Maine. I attended college in Massachusetts and I think I have more friends in New England than I do Ohio. Over my lifetime I have lived in three New England states. Each state has it's own little quirks, but there are some commonalities between all New England states that you should prepare yourself for, and expect before making this relocation.

First I wanted to ask if that is also you who posted with a different name on the VT fora? If not, you need to meet this woman because she is also a mother, about your age, and is moving from someplace in the deep south, to someplace in deep New England as you are doing. Check her out!

I do like to travel quite a bit. Also, we are at different life stages, we have some things in common. I loved raising my children and I miss them terribly. My daughter went to college at my alma mater in New England. When she graduates next year, I kind of doubt she will return home. She's already doing an internship in Boston. My son, his girlfriend, and housemates have an art collective and grow most of their produce. While I wouldn't say it's a farm, they are self-sufficient.

I am also a Christian. However, having also spent time in the South - Arkansas, Florida, the Carolinas, and six months in GA, I have relatives in the first three. I can say that your average southerner's idea of the word "Christian" and a Northerner's idea of "Christian" is very different.

There information out there that says that New Englanders are "not religious". I know this is just my observation, but I've visited some churches on Sundays in New England, and they are well attended. There ARE other active and practicing Christians in New England and those three states. However, their approach to church, and their conversations relating to religion, are very different from the way Christianity is discussed in southern states and woven into the fabric of the culture. Very different.

Some families have attended the same church for generations, and churches that are hundreds of years old. There are fewer non-denominational, fundamentalist Christian Centers or churches. There may be some, but they are not the norm. Churches' services are less lively than in those churches. The music is often beautiful and played on ancient pipe organs. Sometimes services will include classical music and professional musicians. Rock music, light shows, and the like, are very rare. Activities at many churches do not focus as much - or at all - on getting new members, so saving "the lost". Folks pretty much think religion is a personal thing. Church activities may also be secular based. There may be a bible study, but there is just as likely to be a secular book club. Social Justice is an important topic in New England churches since Jesus' earthly mission focussed quite a bit on helping the needy and the marginalized. They also engage in things like hiking and other activities. If you attend lunch with another family after service, it is highly unlikely that grace will ever be said in a restaurant.

The denominations that are most prevalent in those states are the United Church of Christ, (or Congtrgationalist) The Episcopal Church, Roman Catholics, Unitarian Universalists (many of whom view Christ differently than other Christians) and a fairly good smattering of American Baptists, which practice believer's baptism, but are very different from Southern Baptists. There are also united of federated churches with members of two or three denominations who agree enough to merge togetheand worship together. There are fewer Lutherans and Methodists than in most states.

A word about the UCC - or congregational churches. These evolved from the Puritan Church (as did the Unitarian Universalist who split over the doctrine of the trinity) Many of our Founding Fathers and early presidents, as well as New England poets, artists and authors were Congregationalist. Their appearance and services are quite traditional. However, their theology is very progressive. I'd wager that they are the most progressive or inclusive Protestant denomination around. Yet, they are traditional.

Gay people are accepted pretty much everywhere. People may hold their own opinions, but no one judges. Gay couples mary and go to church. They own homes and may have children.
People mind their business and manners.

People will be friendly, but they will not overwhelm you. For a Southern person, this may come across as cold.

If you enjoy hunting, and fishing, you will not be alone. No one will judge you. It is not unusual for families to have a gun, and this crosses party lines. I would not worry about being harassed by vegans. That said, there are many vegans. One church we attended had vegan and gluten-free communion available. It was also whole wheat. Lol.

People are conscious of their physical health the environment and what they eat. OTOH, they are not watching you.

I can't stress the "live and let live" attitude enough. And that is not only among progressives. .

New England is traditional but progressive at the same time. It feels very, very different from much of California, and I say that as a progressive. If I had to pick two states that are the most different from New England, I'd choose California and Texas. While both Sunbelt states, they are different politically, but less traditional than New England. People are just more subtle than folks from those states. Bragging and arrogance are not New England values. Nor is changing, for the sake of it. Thrift is important.

In the south, I have always noticed that people keep their lawns and gardens very tidy, and each blade of grass stands at attention. Edgers are very popular as are homeowners associations. Lawns are not very important there. Gardens can be wonderfully messy and full of wildflowers. Some people are converting lawns into vegetable gardens. Many people are concerned about all kinds of pollution, from light pollution to groundwater pollution.

The style of decor tends to be rustic, eclectic, and a mix of old and new. My South Carolina cousin insists on an up to date, granite, and stainless kitchen. When the style of granite changes, she will change it. Anything "old" is looked down upon in her subdivision. In New England, if it isn't broken and works well, they will keep it. "Old" is not bad as long as it runs. That thinking extends to cars, trucks, and clothes.

New Englanders are not ostentatious in the least, and keeping up with what Chip and Joanna do on HGTV isn't important. They also are blissfully unaware of celebrities such as the Kardashians. Homes can be plain and dated. But, that's OK. Thrift shopping is also popular. You will find far fewer bathrooms than you will in the south. A house with only 1 to 1.5 baths that have not been renovated, isn't unusual. They make do.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Maine may be a good fit. I happen to know an ultra-conservative woman I attended college with ages ago, who has lived there for 20 years. She lives in Hermon ME. However, she is a quirky conservative because she's an ethical vegan. She also owns a gun for serf protection and is quite concerned for the environment, At the same time, she's anti-Abortion and attends an Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Church. Her degree is from an extremely liberal New England college. There are many inconsistencies with New Englanders. And no one judges.

Here is a link. https://www.hermon.net/. Maine also has - or had a very conservative governor.

I am personally not fond of the tax situation when it comes to homes, in New Hampshire. Although it's a beautiful state. There are many libertarians there, though, which you may or may not like.

There reserve, the "live and let live attitude", and the general open acceptance of GLBTQ folks maybe your greatest challenge. Prepare to see many rainbow flags.

Your open-mindedness is sure to serve you well.

Best wishes.

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-24-2020 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: politics-no

Old 06-22-2020, 09:51 AM

3,466 posts, read 7,194,810 times
Most of Sub's land is in tree growth. That means it gets taxed at a lower rate.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 3,960,361 times
This might help - https://wjbq.com/what-are-maines-mos...n-breaks-down/

Old 06-23-2020, 08:48 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
That is kind of interesting, what they did with their data mining.

However I count their list shows 408 towns, which leaves out 578 towns not shown.

I am bad sometimes at picking those nits.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:24 AM

Maine.gov says: "Maine has nearly 500 municipalities." It would be interesting to find the other almost 500 missing towns. Maybe that includes defunct municipalities?

Old 06-24-2020, 09:10 AM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Maine.gov says: "Maine has nearly 500 municipalities." It would be interesting to find the other almost 500 missing towns. Maybe that includes defunct municipalities?
Maine state was drawn as a grid in the early 1800s, with 986 townships.
To date, 432 of them have 'organized' for the purposes of increasing taxes.

56% of Maine [the remaining 554 townships] have remained 'unorganized'.

Most of Maine is rural, the towns are 'unorganized townships' which have much lower taxes.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:48 AM

Thaaat's making sense. Tnx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine