Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 04:30 PM

762 posts, read 1,741,279 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! I haven't forgotten this thread. I've been a little busy taking care of things in preparation for heading up your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
another option is to check airbnbs. Some may consider a long term rental, especially with the tourist trade being slow. Maybe even a place to stay while you look for a place to stay.
Thanks, that's a good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
You might like this book, too, although it's dated, and won't help with things like internet access, but I thought it was a good place to start when we started looking for a house near our family.
https://www.amazon.com/Where-Retire-...s=books&sr=1-1

Citychik, I know you aren't retiring, but still, it's got specific places and tries to give an idea of what it's like there.

I guess I'd start there, too, with travel books, as you can buy a bunch and see what appeals.
I will check out that book, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
I used home stays several times for my exploratory visits to Maine . . . Admittedly, this might be complicated during COVID-19, but in some ways I might trust a private home more than a motel.
Yeah, I'm not sure if I would trust a private home more than a hotel. At least where I am, hotels have to disinfect all surfaces several times a day, and you never know with someone's efforts in a private home situation. But I won't dismiss the idea completely!

Quote:
One strategy would be to rent a room by the month in a private home when you come in the fall, and use that as a home base to explore the surrounding towns before you choose a long-term destination . . . You could ask whether the homeowner would consider a short rental in the summer.
A good idea - thanks!

Quote:
I agree with you that you should come in the summer. You really need to get a sense of the route 1 traffic in the summer.

Have you investigated Damariscotta?
I've been to mid-coast Maine in the Summer, as well as the Fall, but most of my/our vacations were spent on schooner trips, so I only experienced walking around town a few days here and there, mostly focused on the waterfronts. I do believe we/I drove up on both those Summer vacations but I don't recall Route 1 being bad at all - I'm used to heavy traffic. But this will be my first time coming up and exploring the towns and cities, and driving around to see what's what, so I'll get to experience driving on Maine roads a little more fully than before.

Damariscotta - ya know, I remember wanting to check it out on my way home a few years ago. It's supposed to have a nice little downtown area, right? Well, I headed down a road to go there but never found Damariscotta. I did find a good pizza restaurant though and stopped there, before I drove back home. So now you've got me curious to see if I can actually find it this time! From what I had heard, I always pictured Damariscotta as a very small village - are there apartments there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
I really think Rockland might check a lot of your boxes, from art scene to healthcare to water to nice downtown . . .
I do love Rockland! I once told someone I met on a schooner trip that Rockland would be my ideal place to live, BUT then it was a tie with Belfast for a while. But since Rockland, Camden, and Belfast are really all I know in Maine, I do want to check out other places, so as not to pass up a gem that happens to be somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Rockland has a surprisingly good arts scene for a smaller city . . . There is a community hospital that's part of MaineHealth network on the Rockland/Rockport border. It's also close enough for spontaneous trips to other interesting area towns like Owl's Head, Rockport and Camden, and Belfast is still an easy daytrip, less than an hour. Ferries to some midcoast islands leave from Rockland and nearby Lincoln.
Oh, while I have been to some of the galleries and have visited the Wyeth while there, I didn't know about the hospital, so that is good info - thanks! I'd love to take a ferry to some islands - is Lincoln where that small sandy beach is, with the lobster restaurants right there?

Quote:
The other town I'd look hard at would be Brunswick. Brunswick also has a good arts scene for a smaller city including the terrific Bowdoin College Museum of Art, then you have events sponsored by the college itself. Brunswick also has a good community hospital on the eastern end of the city's outskirts. It's also close enough to Portland for easy daytrips to Maine's biggest city, and for daytrips to the Harpswell peninsulas. You might find something a bit less expensive right across the river in Topsfield. Topsfield doesn't have quite the attractions of Brunswick, but it's certainly pleasant enough and it's right next to Brunswick, so you could still easily take advantage of Brunswick.

Both Rockland and Brunswick have a supermarket, restaurants, bars and cafe's as well as a walkable downtown, and cell phone signal won't be a problem. In my experience as a visitor only, I have found downtown Brunswick a little quieter than downtown Rockland, right on the main street, if that is a concern.
At first, I was more interested in Bath than Brunswick, but Brunswick keeps looking better and better to me. I'm really glad to know there is an arts scene and museum there! And all the things I'd need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. All true (except it's Topsham, not Topsfield).
Noted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
As for rentals, this coming fall might be an ideal time to find a good rental in Brunswick. A whole lot of landlords count on Bowdoin College students for rentals, and in Fall 2020, only freshman and seniors are coming to campus due to the pandemic. With a few exceptions, all sophomores and juniors will be attending online only. So I'm sure there will be a lot of landlords desperate to fill their properties.
Ooh, ooh, this is valuable inside info - thanks for that! Will help me strategize!

Many thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm excited about taking the plunge and relocating to Maine, which I've been dreaming about since my first visit there 20 years ago. I have often fallen in love with places on my first visit, but Maine was different - it stayed in my mind and so we went back a few more times. Then there was a good chunk of years I didn't make it up there, but was able to visit after that and felt even more like I wanted to move there. I haven't been there in a couple years, as stuff I needed to deal with kept me from going, but I know it's where I want to be. I've researched other parts of the country, but it felt great when I just decided to choose Maine. I'm focusing right now on fixing a few things with my car that need attention, before I make the drive. But I am keeping notes on every bit of input I receive from you lovely people!

More ideas and suggestions welcome!

Oh, and can someone give me the scoop on internet providers in Maine? Thanks!

Last edited by citychik; 07-03-2020 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 06:09 PM

11,904 posts, read 8,990,771 times
Quote:
Rockland has a surprisingly good arts scene for a smaller city. There are several nice museums including a terrific Wyeth museum, plus commercial galleries, you can see live music, occasional comedy and lectures in town, they have a few big festivals each year, and they also have a very good documentary film festival in the fall with some events in Camden and some in Rockland. There is a community hospital that's part of MaineHealth network on the Rockland/Rockport border. It's also close enough for spontaneous trips to other interesting area towns like Owl's Head, Rockport and Camden, and Belfast is still an easy daytrip, less than an hour. Ferries to some midcoast islands leave from Rockland and nearby Lincoln.

The other town I'd look hard at would be Brunswick. Brunswick also has a good arts scene for a smaller city including the terrific Bowdoin College Museum of Art, then you have events sponsored by the college itself. Brunswick also has a good community hospital on the eastern end of the city's outskirts. It's also close enough to Portland for easy daytrips to Maine's biggest city, and for daytrips to the Harpswell peninsulas. You might find something a bit less expensive right across the river in Topsfield. Topsfield doesn't have quite the attractions of Brunswick, but it's certainly pleasant enough and it's right next to Brunswick, so you could still easily take advantage of Brunswick.

Both Rockland and Brunswick have a supermarket, restaurants, bars and cafe's as well as a walkable downtown, and cell phone signal won't be a problem. In my experience as a visitor only, I have found downtown Brunswick a little quieter than downtown Rockland, right on the main street, if that is a concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
:
:
Oh, while I have been to some of the galleries and have visited the Wyeth while there, I didn't know about the hospital, so that is good info - thanks! I'd love to take a ferry to some islands - is Lincoln where that small sandy beach is, with the lobster restaurants right there?

At first, I was more interested in Bath than Brunswick, but Brunswick keeps looking better and better to me. I'm really glad to know there is an arts scene and museum there! And all the things I'd need.
Sorry, I had a senior moment and actually made 2 errors in my town names, exchanging them for other, similar town names... Said "Topsfield", meant "Topsham", and said "Lincoln" and meant "Lincolnville". Back to business...

It's a different kind of museum, but the Owls Head Transportation Museum is magnificent, if you haven't been there, and there are lots of romantic lines and loving workmanship on the old cars (mostly), trucks, motorcyces and airplanes there - art in their own right, I'd say.

Lincolnville doesn't have too many residents, and there are two focal areas: down along Route 1 by the small beach is where the Islesboro Ferry connects to the mainland, and inland via a lovely countryside ride is Lincolnville Center, which has a "General Store" that's in a beautiful restored old shop in the little village center. It's really more of an upscale takeout place these days, but in the warmer months, one can also get a bite inside and bring it out to some tables shaded by the deep porch to eat.

Bath is worth consideration in its own right, but since you mentioned access to the arts and medical facilities, I thought of Brunswick, which has a lot going for it. Brunswick tends to be a little pricier than its neighbors - Topsham and Bath, so if you can't find something in your price range in Brunswick, you could also look to save some money on rent in a neighboring town and just drive over to Brunswick when desired, it's just across the river from Topsham and really not far from Bath either.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:39 AM

Hi everybody! So, it looks like I'll be coming up to midcoast Maine in about 10 days to explore and inquire about housing (apartments). I'm excited! I have some questions, though, if anyone can offer guidance.

So, firstly, the areas in which I'm mostly interested are Bath/Brunswick and Belfast/Searsport. I believe these areas are about 65-70 miles apart, if I'm not mistaken. I'd also like to check out Wiscasset and Damariscotta, around Rockland (with which I'm already a little familiar), and see what other towns pop up and seem interesting to me (gosh, I bought a book about Maine and have been googling like crazy and, actually, there are a lot of towns that seem like great places to live).

Would Rockport be a good place to stay while checking out the areas that interest me?

It isn't really in the middle of my areas of interest and I'm wondering if I should keep looking for something more convenient. There's a great little cottage in Rockport at a reasonable price, and available when I want to be there - so I grabbed it and booked it for a week. I figured, get a good deaI while I can! I have about 36 hours or so to cancel it without penalty. What do you folks think? Will it be a pain to visit Brunswick two days in a row from there, for example?

Also, should I contact apartment owners before I head up there and make appointments to see their listings, or can I just wing it by looking around and ringing doorbells or making calls once I'm in the area? I've always been a "wing it" sort of person, but I'm thinking maybe I need to be more organized, LOL.

Other questions:
1. What are the options for getting internet in these areas?

2. I sew - are there any great fabric/notions stores in midcoast Maine?

TIA!

Last edited by citychik; 07-10-2020 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-10-2020, 01:46 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,553,788 times
Rockport will be a good base of operations for your week. Traffic will be busy. Tourists often slam on the brakes when they see something interesting. Don't follow ehicles without Maine plates too closely. M+nerly all Maine restaurants, country stores and diners serve great breakfasts and great seafood.

Ten days will be after our primary so things will be a little less hectic.

The only sewing I do is leather and canvas. I know nothing about milinary stores.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:18 PM

156 posts, read 303,032 times
Regarding sewing there's Clementine in Rockland but I think they're only doing curbside pickup and
https://fiddleheadartisansupply.com/ in Belfast which is great for garment sewing but not as much home dec fabric.

If you find it impossible to get an internet connection, parking lots of public libraries are usually a good bet.

Rockport is pretty equidistant to the two areas you're exploring so I think that's a great choice.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:26 PM

I think Rockport is about an hour's drive from Brunswick, and it's a great little town. I'd definitely suggest scheduling appointments ahead of time with landlords to see apartments. Most of them are required by their leasing contract terms to give due notice to existing tenants before letting potential new tenants in to look around.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Rockport will be a good base of operations for your week.

. . . Ten days will be after our primary so things will be a little less hectic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulfurDog View Post
Rockport is pretty equidistant to the two areas you're exploring so I think that's a great choice.
Oh, phew! I'm glad to know I made a good choice to stay in Rockport. I will have a sweet little cabin to myself. Thank you both for setting my mind at ease. On a map Rockport looks possibly much less convenient to Brunswick and Bath than to Belfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulfurDog View Post
Regarding sewing there's Clementine in Rockland but I think they're only doing curbside pickup and
https://fiddleheadartisansupply.com/ in Belfast which is great for garment sewing but not as much home dec fabric.

If you find it impossible to get an internet connection, parking lots of public libraries are usually a good bet.
I think I went to Clementine on my last trip, but wasn't crazy about their selection. But oh, Fiddlehead! Thanks very much for that link. I primarily sew garments and they seem to have a lot of fabrics I would like.

Quote:
I think Rockport is about an hour's drive from Brunswick, and it's a great little town. I'd definitely suggest scheduling appointments ahead of time with landlords to see apartments. Most of them are required by their leasing contract terms to give due notice to existing tenants before letting potential new tenants in to look around.
Thank you. I hadn't thought about that aspect of checking places out. I better get my list together and start calling!

Old 07-12-2020, 07:05 AM

Hey folks,
What can you tell me about Waterville in 2020?

Last edited by citychik; 07-12-2020 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-14-2020, 04:15 PM

Ok, never mind my previous post. I did some reading and don't think I'd be interested in Waterville after all, although there seems to be much lower rents there than in other surrounding towns/cities. Not that anyone wanted to answer, anyway! Hahaha!

I just hopped on here to say I am officially excited! I just made my 1st appointment to see a 1-BR apartment while I'm there for my Recon Mission! Making that appointment made my intention to move to Maine become more real. I've got more emails to send and calls to make, but... YES! I'M DOING THIS! WOOHOO!!!

Old 07-15-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Ok, never mind my previous post. I did some reading and don't think I'd be interested in Waterville after all, although there seems to be much lower rents there than in other surrounding towns/cities. Not that anyone wanted to answer, anyway! Hahaha!

I just hopped on here to say I am officially excited! I just made my 1st appointment to see a 1-BR apartment while I'm there for my Recon Mission! Making that appointment made my intention to move to Maine become more real. I've got more emails to send and calls to make, but... YES! I'M DOING THIS! WOOHOO!!!
Very cool- happy hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine