U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 AM

6,879 posts, read 3,693,748 times
Default bee removal

There is bee website that lists beekeeprs who will remove honey bees, sorted by state. Some will remove within a wall or dwelling other will not. will try to find and post.

Saw a shot of a proud homeowner who killed a swarm that rested under the cover of a grille. Sad to see HBs killed off like that.

http://mainebeekeepers.org/resources/swarm-catchers.html (broken link)

list of Maine beekeepers to remove swarms

Last edited by Kracer; 07-15-2010 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: update
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 AM

21,354 posts, read 26,318,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I work with a guy who does extermination on the side. We need bees to pollinate plants, but the guy says that pesticides used in farming kills the bees. Hence the need for bee keepers and buying bees.
IMHO 'farmers' tend to be more aware of which pesticides kill bees; and spray only when bees are not in the fields.

Also Maine has laws in place that farmers must comply with. They limit which pesticides can be used on farms, they require permits, awareness of pesticides, MSDS sheets, and notification of neighbors.

Home gardeners on the other hand, tend to pay no attention to these things. Gardeners can use a much wider selection of pesticides. Rarely do they get permits to use pesticides. Very few home gardeners are fully aware of what their pesticides kills. And I imagine that very few home gardeners go to the trouble of notifying their neighbors about when they are going to spray.

Home Depot commonly sells lots of pesticides to gardeners that will kill honeybees.

As a beekeeper, in speaking with people at church, or in town. I hear people who like honey and just as often I hear folks who are afraid of bees and do not want bees on their property. They want their pesticides to kill honeybees in their gardens.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:10 PM

8,748 posts, read 10,984,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
IMHO 'farmers' tend to be more aware of which pesticides kill bees; and spray only when bees are not in the fields.

Also Maine has laws in place that farmers must comply with. They limit which pesticides can be used on farms, they require permits, awareness of pesticides, MSDS sheets, and notification of neighbors.

Home gardeners on the other hand, tend to pay no attention to these things. Gardeners can use a much wider selection of pesticides. Rarely do they get permits to use pesticides. Very few home gardeners are fully aware of what their pesticides kills. And I imagine that very few home gardeners go to the trouble of notifying their neighbors about when they are going to spray.

Home Depot commonly sells lots of pesticides to gardeners that will kill honeybees.

As a beekeeper, in speaking with people at church, or in town. I hear people who like honey and just as often I hear folks who are afraid of bees and do not want bees on their property. They want their pesticides to kill honeybees in their gardens.
Some people are deathly allergic to bee stings. If it came down to going to the hospital or spraying out a bee's nest guess which one do you think an allergic person will choose? Bees don't bother me and I try not to bother them. We get a lot of honey bees on our clover filled lawn and hundreds around our St John's Wort plant. I like them and try to make sure I miss them when I mow. That said I still used pesticides on my garden as I wanted the produce to feed my family. I did not spray when the plants were flowering and when I had to spray I did so as sparingly as possible. Even with that I had a neighbor who tried raising bees for a few years and was adamant about me becoming a totally organic gardener to save his bees. I told him I was a responsible pesticide user and planned to continue using them as I saw fit. When he suggested I should go take a course or two to learn organic farming I told him to keep his bees on his side of the road and mind his own business.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:36 PM

5,634 posts, read 7,288,226 times
Quote:
Even with that I had a neighbor who tried raising bees for a few years and was adamant about me becoming a totally organic gardener to save his bees.
That person is lacking information. Organic doesn't mean pesticide free. The pesticide I use is USDA certified organic and will wipe out bees if I'm careless.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 AM

8,748 posts, read 10,984,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
That person is lacking information. Organic doesn't mean pesticide free. The pesticide I use is USDA certified organic and will wipe out bees if I'm careless.
I never looked into it as he just made me mad with his approach. His way of gardening was pesticide free. He'd plant an acre of something and take what didn't die off or eaten by bugs and varmints. All of his stuff had some kind of blemishes or blight on it but he didn't care. He did it for fun we did it for food.
If I ever plant a vegetable garden again I'll nag you for some up to date information on the latest organic pesticides!!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 315 times
Default Beekeeping Supplies

Know the Better Beekeeping Supplies! --www.beekeepingsuccess.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine