U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 04:03 PM

40 posts, read 19,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Definitely true that summers in the south are difficult, just like winters up north - either way, most people spend most of the time in conditioned spaces - it's unpleasant to just deal with the ambient conditions for long with nothing but your clothes to keep you comfortable.

In New England, most of the housing stock is old, and winter comfort can be a crap shoot in an older home, depending. If you can find a home that was built in the last 20 years, and ideally with an attached garage, you'll have a better chance of enjoying (or at least cheerfully waiting out) winter up north.
Now that is interesting! Newer homes are better able to deal with the cold? More insulation, I guess? Weird, because you always hear, "THey don't make 'em like they used to."

DEFINTELY would need an attached garage. Great points!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
IMHO... it also has a lot to do with the region of Maine. I decided that most of coastal Maine, while brilliantly beautiful in summer, is not for us... too much fog and damp. Head up to the NW corner between Moosehead Lake and the NH border, and perhaps other more northern areas, and you have more sunny days in winter and less dampness; it's a different winter.

And it has to do with age too. You just can't endure the cold as well.. too many muscle and joint aches in the cold, as well as not having the resiliancy to withstand the cold; it takes a lot more time to recover from being chilled, etc. So a lot these answers reflect age more than anything. IMHO, 92greenyj is not nearly at that point. Good to be young!
I always liked the Fryeburg area, on the NH line. Some of the most peaceful land one could see.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
Good thread as I too am a little nervous how long it will take me to readjust to New England winters after 17 years in San Diego. I mean, we took the kids up the mountain to go see and play in the snow and I actually found d the cold air quite refreshing and enjoyable. But we were only up there for a couple of hours and it was hovering right around the freezing mark, not below.

I still have my thermal underwear and some warm clothes, it I’m definitely gonna hit up L.L. bean with the family to load up on winter gear when we arrive.

I also agree it’s a case of pick your poison. We had a good solid month here this summer where it was over 100 degrees every single day for most of the day. Too damn hot to go outside or do anything. We spent the whole month locked inside with the AC units running full blast to try to keep cool. Personally, I’d rather be cold than hot as I have always felt it is easier to warm up than it is to cool off. I’ve also enjoyed winter sports in my past days. Looking forward to going skiing again, I was a double black diamond skier back in my high school days, but I haven’t gone in many years. Looking forward to buying a snowmobile and giving that a shot, doing some snow wheeling again, taking the kids sledding, etc. we have a nice big covered porch at the new place that will have a propane fire pit going on it so the wife and I can sit by the fire and watch the kids play in the snow in the huge front yard. I think we will be just fine with it.
Just curious, what's bringing you back to New England? Just something you're chomping on, or are basically enroute?

The 100 degree heat, day in, day out, especially here in the Deep South with its humidity, is horrible and I'm out in teh garden all the time. It's just miserable.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:22 PM

794 posts, read 323,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8ivmainah View Post
Just curious, what's bringing you back to New England? Just something you're chomping on, or are basically enroute?

The 100 degree heat, day in, day out, especially here in the Deep South with its humidity, is horrible and I'm out in teh garden all the time. It's just miserable.
I was born and raised in upstate New York on a 28 acre horse farm. Lived in northeast Ohio for 7 years on a 32 acre farm. Bottom line is I’m fed up with the urban and suburban lifestyle. Sick of the traffic, the Kommiefornia politics, I could go on for hours about the reasons I want out of California. Bottom line is I have a family and kids now and I want them to experience the joys of rural life that I grew up with, plenty of room to run and play, safe environment, good values, etc.

When the wife finally agreed it was time to get out of CA we basically went state by state. Did yes, no, or maybe. In the end we had seven states on our list. We researched the heck out of them and slowly waddled it down. Maine won out for many reasons. We had several homes we liked bookmarked on Zillow, the day we got in touch with our agent there for the first time, I got an alert that one of my top contenders had a large price drop. So we told her we wanted to see it. She did a very detailed video walk thru for us, we liked it, made an offer, and it was accepted and we are under contract. We close Escrow on the new place April 30th (we went long escrow as we won’t be moving until the end of June when my daughter finishes her school year here and the family has a lot of stuff to clear out of the house) we bought a 6 bedroom, 5 bathroom, 5,500 square foot home on 24 acres in Mariaville. House is incredible, built in 2000 by a builder for his family home, tons of great details, overall in great shape, great location, etc. we are massively excited to get there and get back to my rural New England roots and raise our kids in that environment.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:56 AM

2,836 posts, read 1,730,150 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in upstate New York on a 28 acre horse farm. Lived in northeast Ohio for 7 years on a 32 acre farm. Bottom line is I’m fed up with the urban and suburban lifestyle. Sick of the traffic, the Kommiefornia politics, I could go on for hours about the reasons I want out of California. Bottom line is I have a family and kids now and I want them to experience the joys of rural life that I grew up with, plenty of room to run and play, safe environment, good values, etc.

When the wife finally agreed it was time to get out of CA we basically went state by state. Did yes, no, or maybe. In the end we had seven states on our list. We researched the heck out of them and slowly waddled it down. Maine won out for many reasons. We had several homes we liked bookmarked on Zillow, the day we got in touch with our agent there for the first time, I got an alert that one of my top contenders had a large price drop. So we told her we wanted to see it. She did a very detailed video walk thru for us, we liked it, made an offer, and it was accepted and we are under contract. We close Escrow on the new place April 30th (we went long escrow as we won’t be moving until the end of June when my daughter finishes her school year here and the family has a lot of stuff to clear out of the house) we bought a 6 bedroom, 5 bathroom, 5,500 square foot home on 24 acres in Mariaville. House is incredible, built in 2000 by a builder for his family home, tons of great details, overall in great shape, great location, etc. we are massively excited to get there and get back to my rural New England roots and raise our kids in that environment.
That is so wonderful for you and your family. I'm sure it will all work out for the best. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Don't know anything about Mariaville. House sounds fantastic. You got kids in school still? What's the town like?

I still have 3 at home. We live in suburbia too. Fulton County, GA though. So, our politics, while not as bad as Kommiefornia, anyway in the Atlanta metro is pretty bad. But I'm very happy to report, today at one of my kids Lacrosse games, hardly ANYONE was masked up even though it was mandated.

Seems like people are saying no more... I hope at least.

You worried about getting back in the cold though?

Gotta tell ya, today was the beginning of the heat and humidity of the deep south and man it wears me down.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Don't know anything about Mariaville. House sounds fantastic. You got kids in school still? What's the town like?

I still have 3 at home. We live in suburbia too. Fulton County, GA though. So, our politics, while not as bad as Kommiefornia, anyway in the Atlanta metro is pretty bad. But I'm very happy to report, today at one of my kids Lacrosse games, hardly ANYONE was masked up even though it was mandated.

Seems like people are saying no more... I hope at least.

You worried about getting back in the cold though?

Gotta tell ya, today was the beginning of the heat and humidity of the deep south and man it wears me down.
Yes. I have a 6 year old daughter who will be starting second grade next year in Mariaville and a 2 year old son who will follow on in a few more years. From our research the local school is very good. Nice small class sizes too. Something like 9 kids per teacher. As for the town, doesn’t seem to be much of one which we like. I think the population is about 513. However we are only 20 minutes from Ellsworth and about 40 from Bangor. Just a mile or so from Graham Lake. Less than an hour from Bar Harbor and Acadia as well so the home is very well located as far as I am concerned.

I am a bit nervous about getting back into the cold, but I sure we will adjust soon enough.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:42 AM

629 posts, read 371,087 times
Quote:
I always liked the Fryeburg area, on the NH line. Some of the most peaceful land one could see.
That's where we moved to. It is very pretty.

We moved from Northern Michigan, and have found the weather much milder than Michigan. There is much more sun and less snow. Roads are plowed very well, too.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
That's where we moved to. It is very pretty.

We moved from Northern Michigan, and have found the weather much milder than Michigan. There is much more sun and less snow. Roads are plowed very well, too.
have decent internet by chance?

Old 03-30-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
have decent internet by chance?
I’ve been doing a lot of reading up on Starlink. It’s still in Beta, but the reviews so far have been very promising. We will likely go that route when we get there as our new place is a ways back off the road and I doubt cable is an option. Hughesnet and the other DSL services are just awful and slow from what I have read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine