Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:58 PM

11 posts, read 74,565 times

Advertisements

A wedding that originally started out as bride, groom and immediate family has expanding to about 30/40 people. We don't have a lot of money and while we have found some beautiful B & B's and some fancy venues - we can't help to think there are some small and just as nice parks or gardens out there that won't cost as much, possibly along the coast and preferably with a nice restaurant nearby for a small reception. Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 03:21 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Contact The Freeport Chamber of Commerce in Freeport, Maine. The town owns a Park near the ocean named Winslow Park. They have a nice open area they rent out all the time for weddings. It really is a pretty spot, There are several restaurants in the area but traditionally you would hire someone to do a small clambake for you with lobsters and clams. Of if you're handy you could do the clambake yourself or get a few gas grills together and do a cookout. It would be easy with a small group like that. I've been to several weddings there and it was always great fun no matter what size the gathering.

try this number:

1-(800) 865-1994

Old 05-12-2008, 03:42 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
Moose Point State Park is ocean front with grills and picnic tables.

The city park in Belfast has a covered area and is also water front and has grills. There is a play ground to keep kids busy as well.

Pemaquid Light is a gorgeous spot for a wedding but there isn't a restaurant in the park. Well, The Seagull but I don't consider that a restaurant and it's up for sale so I don't even know if it is still operating.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:52 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the great ideas. Still looking. I'll let everyone know what we go with!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,236 times
Don't forget to choose a spot that offers indoor protection in case of -gasp- rain.
Also, are the guests driving or flying, i.e., do you need a place within reasonable distance of an airport?

Many state and local parks have pavillions that can be rented for groups, and are handy for both rain and hot sun, and often (usually?) have built-in fireplaces/BBQ pits. You can also get local caterers to bring food out to these spots if you don't want to cook.

I know Ft Williams has a very nice pavillion on the hilltop overlooking Portland Head Light and the sea. People can walk around the park, visit the lighthouse and museum, etc.

Two Lights at Cape Elizabeth has a pavillion area and the restaurant at the main road (Rt #77), "The Good Table", does catering.
The Good Table Restaurant - Ocean House Rd - Rt.77 - Cape Elizabeth, Maine - (http://www.thegoodtablerestaurant.net/catering.php - broken link)

The Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay cater to wedding parties:
Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens - Events and Programs - Garden Rental - Weddings (http://www.mainegardens.org/events/Weddings.php - broken link)

There are also small conference centers/retreat centers that may be rented for special occasions.

If you know the general location you want to be in, you can also research restaurants/caterers in that area and ask them for suggestions of outdoor locations.

Good luck and congrats!

P.S. Just noticed this page about Camden/Rockport:
Maine Wedding Directory | Camden, Maine (http://www.visitcamden.com/weddings/index.php?cookies=off - broken link)

Old 05-13-2008, 09:54 AM

254 posts, read 1,183,327 times
If you're looking in southern Maine, try the Peter McKernan Center at Southern Maine Community College. I had my reception there and can give you more details if it's something you're interested in. Basically it's the training center for the hospitality students a the school, but they did a great job, and it's a neat location.

Peter A. McKernan Hospitality Center | Southern Maine Community College (http://www.smccme.edu/docs.php?section=3&navid=81&docid=95 - broken link)

Old 05-17-2008, 06:56 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbykt View Post
If you're looking in southern Maine, try the Peter McKernan Center at Southern Maine Community College. I had my reception there and can give you more details if it's something you're interested in. Basically it's the training center for the hospitality students a the school, but they did a great job, and it's a neat location.

Peter A. McKernan Hospitality Center | Southern Maine Community College (http://www.smccme.edu/docs.php?section=3&navid=81&docid=95 - broken link)
Huh neat idea.. I went with a local career center (jvs) for my flower arrangements and saved at least half, but never thought to look into something like this.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Huh neat idea.. I went with a local career center (jvs) for my flower arrangements and saved at least half, but never thought to look into something like this.
This is a great idea. I am definitely looking into it. I would if there are other schools around that need the training. I was thinking of looking for a photography student to take pictures a little cheaper and to get experience.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:41 AM

108 posts, read 413,011 times
My daughter was married at Clay Hill Farm in Ogunquit. It was very reasonable and we had the entire restaurant and grounds to ourselves. The food was excellent and the service equal. Great experience.The best part was that they included tax and gratuity in all their quoted prices, and never had hidden costs. Now you might not think that the Tax & Gratuity are big deals but most venues quote you prices and then tack on the T&G. When you know up front what your costs are it can make a huge difference with decision making.
Clay Hill Farm

One note: the KEY to a very reasonably priced wedding at Clay Hill Farm is to have it during the day..NOT at night. When you have it at night, there is a minimum cost line because they close the restaurant just for your event. Daytime weddings involved no minimums

Best wishes to you!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:25 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
When you do choose a location, I would love to be your minister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine