Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:43 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
One of my other bad teenage memories involved the mixing of scotch and root beer...not good.
Eww.. I think I just threw up a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 12:25 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,851 times
Anyone who has guns in the house is duty bound to instruct their children about them. That includes, if they are old enough to take them out and let them shoot the gun. Too many parents don't want to take the time to give their kids the proper instruction. My father took me out when I was about 6 years old and showed me what a gun could do. I had been around him shooting animals for food from about 4 years of age. He told me that a gun was not a toy, and that he would tan my hide if I ever touched one. He didn't lock them up, because a gun that is locked up is useless if you need it in a hurry. When I was about 8, I shot and killed a rattlesnake that almost bit our dog. I told dad that when he came home from work, and he instructed me on how to clean and reload the gun so that it was ready for the next use.

People including children need to be held responsible for their actions. Parents need to take the time to make their children familiar with guns, and the idea of personal property. I never touched my dads wallet until he passed away at 88 years of age and I had to get important papers out of it. Even though I am 58 years old, I felt like a kid who was doing something he knew better than to do. I respected my father.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:54 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
One of my other bad teenage memories involved the mixing of scotch and root beer...not good.
The only thing that mixes well with scotch is just the tiniest bit of water, nothing else.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:38 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
well the boy starts painting this weekend.he was suposeto go away this summer but he will be here insted may be i can help him may be not but atleast i can say i gave him a chance. and didnt just send him to jail.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:41 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
It was very good of you to give him a break. I hope he takes something out of the experience.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:31 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Ranger, you'll have to give us reports on how everything goes. You never know, where we may have this happen to us, and having the chance to recall your experience may do us a world of good.
Also... it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:11 AM

474 posts, read 1,417,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
shhhhh, if that get out some idiot will try to make it illeagle to leave your keys in your car.it will be just one more stupid law on the books.
take this one for instance.i was comeing home a year ago .
when i got near portland i got pull over i thought i wasnt speeding.
when the officer walked up he asked do you no why i pulled you over sir.
i said no i dont i wasnt speeding. he said maine law says you need to have your hearlights on when its raining.i said its not raining its like a heavy mist.
he said the laws the law sir.$65 fine
Well Ranger, I hope you took the officer to court! The proof would have been that if it were truly raining - what officer in his right mind would have gotten out to issue a "dumb" ticket! Oh, unless it was quota time! Yes, they really do have quotas. BTW Ranger, make sure you homeowners is in tact before the car thiefing kid comes over to paint your barn! It would be terrible is he fell and then sued you!

Old 06-07-2008, 05:29 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Why would you take an officer to court when you've broken the law? I'd check the law first. It doesn't say you have to have lights on just in rain.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:00 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE View Post
Well Ranger, I hope you took the officer to court! The proof would have been that if it were truly raining - what officer in his right mind would have gotten out to issue a "dumb" ticket! Oh, unless it was quota time! Yes, they really do have quotas. BTW Ranger, make sure you homeowners is in tact before the car thiefing kid comes over to paint your barn! It would be terrible is he fell and then sued you!
no i didnt bother.i paid the fine and left it at that. if id have taken him to court it would have cost me more in time than it was worth.besides the fack that i drove that part of the hiway twice a week and didnt want to give him a reason to pull me over out of a grudge.it was just easyer to pay it and be done with it.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:40 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
no i didnt bother.i paid the fine and left it at that. if id have taken him to court it would have cost me more in time than it was worth.besides the fack that i drove that part of the hiway twice a week and didnt want to give him a reason to pull me over out of a grudge.it was just easyer to pay it and be done with it.

Oops! Execllent point AND it would have been out for blood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine