U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 PM

134 posts, read 349,509 times
Default No not all

NOT ALL MAINERS ARE PREJUDICED. Sure prejudice exist in all walks of life but to catergorize an entire race is pure ignorance. I for one never met a black person until I turned 18 and joined the USAF and moved away from Maine. In that time I have made many friends... black.. white.. as well as other nationalities and I have also met ignorant people of the similar ethnicities. If you are in the big city (Portland area) you are not going to feel "out of place" as much, but head outside of lil Boston and granted there are going to be tons more whites. In my humble observations over the years I think that blacks did not "flock" to Maine due to the job market and weather. Lets face it...not a lot of high paying jobs for anyone and it gets down right cold in the winter. In addition Maine communities are clicky (sp) in that communites are just that ..communites. Once there awhile the chit chat will subside and any person will be part of that community regardless of race, color, or creed. As a Mainer (yes moved away but moving back soon) I want to say that I look at the person NOT the color that person was born with. It makes for a much better life experience. OMG we are all part of the human race LOL.

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-28-2008 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to a deleted post.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,565,191 times
I remember the first time my oldest daughter saw a black person. She was six and we'd just moved to Princeton. I'd expected questions about Native Americans but they never came. She was stunned by the black man. Her eyes were huge. She had a way of blurting things that shouldn't be said and I just knewwwww it was coming. But she was silent. I explained to her that he was black, pointed out, without literally pointing, a Native American, and compared the three of us. The black person was black, we are white and the NA was some where in between. "No Mom, we're not white. Paper's white. We're peach." From the mouths of babes.

Not having racial diversity doesn't occur to me. Our small rural area has blacks, Asians, Native Americans, Mexicans and peaches. Now I realize how unusual this must be.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:50 PM

5,054 posts, read 7,934,327 times
My grandmother has a wonderful family story she loves to share.

When my mother was little in the 50s, they went into the grocery store one afternoon. For the first time in her short 5 years, she saw a black mother with her daughter as they were standing in the checkout line. My mother, in complete innocence, reached out her tiny hand and swiped her index finger across the little girl's ebony cheek. She looked very intently at her finger, looking for the paint that must have rubbed off! Then, the two girls just giggled insanely together. They knew there was something very different between them, but they also knew they were both little girls. It really didn't matter! ~From the hearts of babes!!

Old 07-28-2008, 04:25 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,759,880 times
After reading a lot of posts...some of you really need to step back and research what racism really means.

It's not "he wasn't friendly to me" so they all must be racist. No, that's someone just being a jerk...unless you can read their mind and KNOW they did it just because the person was black or whatever. That is the danger of so called "hate laws". How can you prove someone did something racially motivated? Are you going to waterboard them into fessing up?

Denying someone use of a bathroom, job, housing because of color or stating that someone is getting lower grades because of their race etc - yea that's racism. Not being "nice" is just being a jerk.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 PM

8,748 posts, read 11,394,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
After reading a lot of posts...some of you really need to step back and research what racism really means.

It's not "he wasn't friendly to me" so they all must be racist. No, that's someone just being a jerk...unless you can read their mind and KNOW they did it just because the person was black or whatever. That is the danger of so called "hate laws". How can you prove someone did something racially motivated? Are you going to waterboard them into fessing up?

Denying someone use of a bathroom, job, housing because of color or stating that someone is getting lower grades because of their race etc - yea that's racism. Not being "nice" is just being a jerk.
I don't pour on the sicky sweet welcome to the neighborhood lovey dovey insincere crap to new folks but I also don't consider myself to be a jerk. I simply mind my own business. Your attitude toward my indifference is a prime example of what I was referring to. Silence can certainly be misconstrued as a slight and a slight can certainly be misconstrued as racist prejudice in this day and age.
I've always been pleasant to neighbors when I see them though I don't set up cook outs and block parties to hang out with them. The truth is we have nothing in common and I choose to spend my time doing other things....sue me.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 PM

65 posts, read 103,229 times
Most people in Maine are from Maine. There's very little turnover in population, as is the case for most of rural America.
As someone said, there's has been little in Maine's history to draw anyone in, of whatever race.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:58 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,759,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I don't pour on the sicky sweet welcome to the neighborhood lovey dovey insincere crap to new folks but I also don't consider myself to be a jerk. I simply mind my own business. Your attitude toward my indifference is a prime example of what I was referring to. Silence can certainly be misconstrued as a slight and a slight can certainly be misconstrued as racist prejudice in this day and age.
I've always been pleasant to neighbors when I see them though I don't set up cook outs and block parties to hang out with them. The truth is we have nothing in common and I choose to spend my time doing other things....sue me.
Well, since you took my post personally towards you even though you were not even in my mind, I suppose I should answer.

Keeping to one's self and being "reserved" is not being a "jerk" IMO.

However, couple questions. If I invited you to a cookout at my house. Would you go - even for a short time period, provided you didn't have a "hot date" or something to keep you from?

If I stopped on the road to say hello and chat for a minute or two...would you? Or would you give me one word answers that said "go away"?

If I waved to you on the road driving by...would you wave back?

I'm curious to see your answers.

And yes "misconstrued" is an accurate word and reflects the nature of my post and point.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM

55 posts, read 103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAirForce
Lets face it...not a lot of high paying jobs for anyone and it gets down right cold in the winter.
Isn't this a racist generalization?
In what way is that a racist generalization?
My son didn't want to move up here, not enough well paying jobs, and real estate costs a lot more than where he lives now. He figured he was better off staying where he was. I figure black or white, those two reasons are a biggie. He also said that if he was going to move anywhere, he'd prefer someplace warmer. I too, would have prefered someplace warmer, but hubby had his heart sent on Maine. I figured it would be a better bet for me than someplace like Montana. He was an airline pilot, we just needed to live near a handy airport.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 AM

278 posts, read 482,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunata View Post
In what way is that a racist generalization?
My son didn't want to move up here, not enough well paying jobs, and real estate costs a lot more than where he lives now. He figured he was better off staying where he was. I figure black or white, those two reasons are a biggie. He also said that if he was going to move anywhere, he'd prefer someplace warmer. I too, would have prefered someplace warmer, but hubby had his heart sent on Maine. I figured it would be a better bet for me than someplace like Montana. He was an airline pilot, we just needed to live near a handy airport.
I'm not sure - maybe the reference to cold.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM

25 posts, read 59,671 times
Default Bless you !! Bless you !! Bless you !!

Thanks for the offer !! ... We have 2.5 million here in New York alone !! ... Just put on the news, --we'd be delighted and even help by tithing if you want them badly enough !! .. No need to worry about employment, just help the New Hampsherites build the 100 foot wall from their side !!!! .... WHAT A COUNTRY !!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine