Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 AM

444 posts, read 928,609 times

Advertisements

This state seems to take very good care of its elderly citizens. When we moved to Old Town, we also moved my 83 year old mother-in law with us. She is living in Marsh Island Apartments in Old Town (subsidized housing for elderly and disabled). Her rent is based on 1/3 of her income, and the thing I love about it is that all of her utilities (including heat) are included in the rent. Also, if your income is above a certain level, I think you can still live there for a reasonable flat-rate rent.

She has access to congregate services, without having to go through any outside agencies - 2 meals a day, delivered to her apartment; laundry, errand, and light housekeeping services, all for a reasonable fee that is again based on her income. The bank is right across the street; her doctor is one block away; there is a drugstore across the street that has a good supply of essential food items; the Bangor "Bat" bus (community connector) stops right in front of the building. There are planned activities for the residents, there are nursing students that come from the University of Maine (Orono) to do blood pressure checks, there is a van that takes the residents to the grocery store twice a week, and there is a full-service salon very close to her building.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but the accessibility of services here is downright astonishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:42 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
This state seems to take very good care of its elderly citizens. When we moved to Old Town, we also moved my 83 year old mother-in law with us. She is living in Marsh Island Apartments in Old Town (subsidized housing for elderly and disabled). Her rent is based on 1/3 of her income, and the thing I love about it is that all of her utilities (including heat) are included in the rent. Also, if your income is above a certain level, I think you can still live there for a reasonable flat-rate rent.

She has access to congregate services, without having to go through any outside agencies - 2 meals a day, delivered to her apartment; laundry, errand, and light housekeeping services, all for a reasonable fee that is again based on her income. The bank is right across the street; her doctor is one block away; there is a drugstore across the street that has a good supply of essential food items; the Bangor "Bat" bus (community connector) stops right in front of the building. There are planned activities for the residents, there are nursing students that come from the University of Maine (Orono) to do blood pressure checks, there is a van that takes the residents to the grocery store twice a week, and there is a full-service salon very close to her building.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but the accessibility of services here is downright astonishing.
That sounds wonderful!

I do remember an article about the elderly up in Machias, in fact I have been corresponding with one of the ladies in that article and not everyone has it so good. Maybe that is partly a function of those who don't want to give up their "own home" be it ever so humble and cold.

I am glad you have such a wonderful situation for your Mother.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
I was of the impression that those apartments were federally funded.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:14 PM

You are right, Elston...she is very fortunate to be in this situation. These heating costs are just outrageous! Our tank is almost empty, so I'm bracing myself for another insanely high bill. Webber is charging 4.059 per gallon of kerosene. They give you a little break if you pay your bill within a few days of the tank being filled, so even with the "prompt payment" discount, we're talking close to $1000. With two little kids to feed, it's hard to come up with that kind of $$$ mid-month, so I guess we won't get the discount. We've been keeping the thermostat set on 64 during the day, and 60 at night. We plug in an electric heater in the kid's bedroom.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:23 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I have not seen the inside of those apartments, though I have known one fellow who did live in one.

The housing authority does take their no smoking laws very seriously.

Do not smoke anywhere on that property. One of our VFW post members was booted from his Marsh Island apartment when he was caught smoking in his car. [which was really dumb on his part, as the VFW post is really close by, and he was welcome to come smoke at the bar]. But he is a WWI vet and crotchety.

I am glad to hear that your MIL likes it.

She is also very close to the monthly meat raffles held at the VFW.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:36 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I do remember an article about the elderly up in Machias, in fact I have been corresponding with one of the ladies in that article and not everyone has it so good. Maybe that is partly a function of those who don't want to give up their "own home" be it ever so humble and cold.
Leaving their own homes is very difficult. I'm watching a man in town struggle to get through what he knows is his last winter in his home. Next summer or fall depending on when there's an opening, he'll be moving into Peabody Estates. There are safe, warm places to live based on income if the elderly poor can be convinced to leave their homes. It's a tough decision.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I was of the impression that those apartments were federally funded.
You are right, the congregate services are federally funded, as well as the housing. My mother-in-law has lived in Section 8 housing before (in Texas), but she paid her own electric bill there. At Marsh Island the electric is included in her rent, which is a godsend for elderly on fixed incomes. I can't imagine her having to pay a $300+ monthly bill for electric heat. I'm thinking that maybe some of the funding for the utilities comes from the State of Maine (but I could be wrong). Maybe I should rephrase my post: "the United States of America seems to take very good care of its elderly citizens."

Taken from the HUD website: Multifamily Housing - Program Description - HUD (broken link)
"The Congregate Housing Services Program offers grants to States, units of general local government, public housing authorities (PHAs), tribally designated housing entities (TDHES), and local nonprofit housing sponsors to provide meals and other supportive services needed by frail elderly residents and residents with disabilities in federally subsidized housing. It is a project-based-rather than a tenant-based-program.

Purpose:
This program prevents premature and unnecessary institutionalization of frail elderly, nonelderly disabled, and temporarily disabled persons; provides a variety of innovative approaches for the delivery of meals and nonmedical supportive services while making use of existing service programs; fills gaps in existing service systems; and ensures availability of funding for meals and other programs necessary for independent living. An earlier CHSP program, created by the Congregate Housing Services Act of 1978, continues to receive funding on the same basis as the current program."

Last edited by txmom; 02-12-2008 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-12-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
She is also very close to the monthly meat raffles held at the VFW.
I've been thinking about taking her over to the VFW for a visit. She used to be in the Ladies' Auxiliary at the Old Town VFW in her younger days. She would probably enjoy it

Old 02-12-2008, 03:59 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
"But he is a WWI vet and crotchety"

A WWI vet that still drives his own car really has nothing to be crotchety about. Power to him.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:02 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
I've been thinking about taking her over to the VFW for a visit. She used to be in the Ladies' Auxiliary at the Old Town VFW in her younger days. She would probably enjoy it
Most of the ladies have lifetime memberships, your MIL may still be a member.

We just missed the monthly meat raffle, but I personally invite you then to next month's meat raffle.

Bring your MIL and I will buy you both a drink.

It is not often that the chaplain there buys anyone a drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine