Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 09:04 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

Per the website, Eater "The 18 Essential Maine Restaurants"

https://maine.eater.com/maps/best-maine-restaurants

As one might guess, they lean heavily on Portland's eateries. What are some of your favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 01:36 PM

846 posts, read 1,019,417 times
“ Nook & Cranny “ Baileyville.
“The Brookside Inn” New Smyrna
‘They Mill Yard “ Danforth
Foodie writers in Portland never heard of these towns. I’ve never had a bad meal in any of them

Old 08-23-2021, 05:26 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,397 times
Provender in Ellsworth
Perry’s in Surry

Old 08-23-2021, 06:37 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Per the website, Eater "The 18 Essential Maine Restaurants"

https://maine.eater.com/maps/best-maine-restaurants
The issue with articles like this is that they are about cuisine and not necessarily good food. What's the difference? Cuisine places as much --- and sometimes more --- emphasis upon the presentation of the food as its overall taste. As someone once quipped, "They'd eat a plate of dog food as long as it was a beautiful and appropriately snobby plate of dog food."

And hey, if that is someone's thing, more power to 'em. Rock on with your bad self.

But it isn't me. Given the choice of eating a delicious $10 burrito wrapped in foil and a $40 fine China plate of tamal de cazuela with sea urchin and charred habanero-leek relish, I'm probably going to enjoy the burrito way more.

So, with that in mind ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
What are some of your favorites?
Bruce's Burritos in Yarmouth, Maine. Really good burritos. Fantastic hot sauces. Nice people.

Shere Punjab in Brunswick, Maine. Still the best Indian food I have ever eaten. The atmosphere is what I'd call "cozy" and not "fine dining," but I could eat there two meals a day and never get tired of it.

Big Top Deli in Brunswick, Maine. If you're in the mood for a good sandwich or wrap, you won't find a better one than this place.

Guerrero Maya in South Portland, Maine. Really good Mexican food. Pleasant atmosphere without tending to the snobby.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:14 AM

428 posts, read 553,789 times
I'm not sure why these are considered "essential". My picks for essential would be the Maine Diner in Wells, Dysart's in Hermon and The Big Stop in Houlton. My favorite local eatery is The Oak Street Bistro in Alfred.

Old 08-23-2021, 10:05 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
There is a diner attached to a gas station in Howland that we like a lot. It is called "95'er".

Old 08-23-2021, 03:54 PM

846 posts, read 1,019,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
I'm not sure why these are considered "essential". My picks for essential would be the Maine Diner in Wells, Dysart's in Hermon and The Big Stop in Houlton. My favorite local eatery is The Oak Street Bistro in Alfred.
How could’ve I forgot Dysart’s! Big stop is awesome as well! I hate Grammy’s in Orient closed.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:28 PM

23,558 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
“ Nook & Cranny “ Baileyville.
“The Brookside Inn” New Smyrna
‘They Mill Yard “ Danforth
Foodie writers in Portland never heard of these towns. I’ve never had a bad meal in any of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
How could’ve I forgot Dysart’s! Big stop is awesome as well! I hate Grammy’s in Orient closed.

Several corrections.

The Brookside is in Smyrna, not "New Smyrna(???)"

Grammy's was in Linneus, not Orient.

Dysart's and Big Stop are not what they were. They used to be good and homemade but those Irving truck stops are all the same now, whether in Maine or Canada. Overpriced reheated factory food. There are better options, no matter which area you are in. Brookside near Houlton. Purple Cow by Waterville. But it's too bad Nicky's in Bangor closed (that place was a hit for breakfast!). There's another great diner place further south (near Richmond?), it's killing me that I can't remember the name.

While we are talking about the County, a great "essential" (takeout) if you are on Rte. 11 is the Ashland One Stop.

A long time favorite is Spring Creek BBQ in Monson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There is a diner attached to a gas station in Howland that we like a lot. It is called "95'er".

Yeah that's a good one. I also used to like the Country Diner in Medway, but last time I drove by it looked closed?

Old 08-23-2021, 06:42 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Crumb's in Calais. Their food is very good.

Shuckin's in Baring, at the end of Rt 9. I ask for lightly fried clams and they always get it right.

Mine Oyster and Boat House Bistro in Boothbay Harbor are a couple of my favorites.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:53 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
I really enjoy Vazquez (Mexican cuisine) takeout in Milbridge. Best I've had anywhere in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine