Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times

Advertisements

That Fatso is a coal stove. They used to sell them at the Black Stove Shop in Yarmouth I saw them there as we ran a Franco Belge Stove for years.
A funny true story to do with one of those stoves involved a man who was having a bit of a fight with his wife in Yarmouth one evening. He was in his birthday suit and she gave him a good push and he ended up with the word "FATSO" branded in his behind! I saw the evidence in a bar one night so I know it to be true! It's backwards naturally but it was still hillarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
Ah, I wasn't even thinking about the prospect of lots of yard sales this weekend. DH is not sympathetic to them but will tolerate it if I find a good one. I've got enough stuff in general but am hunting for a few specific items, and hope to get lucky One thing I really want is a folding bike. Huge doubts of ever finding one of those at a yard sale, but....well, you never know! I've found odder things at yard sales before.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
That Fatso is a coal stove. They used to sell them at the Black Stove Shop in Yarmouth I saw them there as we ran a Franco Belge Stove for years.
A funny true story to do with one of those stoves involved a man who was having a bit of a fight with his wife in Yarmouth one evening. He was in his birthday suit and she gave him a good push and he ended up with the word "FATSO" branded in his behind! I saw the evidence in a bar one night so I know it to be true! It's backwards naturally but it was still hillarious!
This is hysterical (although was painful I'm sure).
What, nobody with a videocam for YouTube?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
We once found and bought 50 lbs of cast iron cookery (frying pans, oven etc.) for five dollars at a neighborhood yard sale. We were on an exercize walk so we paid for the stuff and collected it with the old Buick Wagon.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
This is hysterical (although was painful I'm sure).
What, nobody with a videocam for YouTube?
It would have required a VHS or Betamax camera back then!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Ah, I wasn't even thinking about the prospect of lots of yard sales this weekend. DH is not sympathetic to them but will tolerate it if I find a good one. I've got enough stuff in general but am hunting for a few specific items, and hope to get lucky One thing I really want is a folding bike. Huge doubts of ever finding one of those at a yard sale, but....well, you never know! I've found odder things at yard sales before.
My son had a folding bike. He left his regular bike behind the truck once and I ran over it and folded it right in two! Probably not what you're looking for though!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
My son had a folding bike. He left his regular bike behind the truck once and I ran over it and folded it right in two! Probably not what you're looking for though!
Why am I not surprised to get an answer like this?!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Why am I not surprised to get an answer like this?!
All in good fun!! The bike would still go around corners well it just couldn't be pedaled anymore!

Old 05-26-2008, 06:32 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We once found and bought 50 lbs of cast iron cookery (frying pans, oven etc.) for five dollars at a neighborhood yard sale. We were on an exercize walk so we paid for the stuff and collected it with the old Buick Wagon.
That's great. The old "exercize walk" always lands the best deals. It's when your on the hunt that it's slim pickings.

For me, I was able to find an old cast iron fire place pot. I don't know the name name of it. But I gotta clean it up I only paid a 1.00 for it. I also found this cute little clock that hangs on the wall and it's kind of like a coo coo clock the people at the top are on a teeter t**ter. It was 1.00 too. But no real finds.

The weather hear was cold and over cast. People probably thinking will it rain or not.

Tami~peachie

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 05-26-2008 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: I forgot how to spell... sorry. It's early

Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
an LJG Stickley sideboard with mirror, $500.

an English Railroad clock with fusee movement, $45.

a funky cast iron card table, $40.

a Red Wing or Brush bird bath, $100.

a chimney cupboard and some Seth Stewart paintings $500.

Should make about $10k when all is said and done...priceless!
You did quite well!
I expect to see you on Antiques Roadshow soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine