Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:35 AM

105 posts, read 286,750 times

Advertisements

did you mention what your major is? You've had a lot of suggestions, and I'll throw in a couple more If you are a business major then Husson or Thomas may fit your needs. They are both small schools, private, but tuition is much less than Colby. Husson is in Bangor, so lots of activities, and near Hermon Mountain, a small ski area. Thomas is in Waterville, not as big as Bangor, but still stuff to do, and if you are willing to travel a bit your are still within driving distance to ski areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 10:13 PM

93 posts, read 288,004 times
I was looking at Husson College, because I'll be headed off to college next fall, and I've always wanted to go to Maine. I live in Pennsylvania now, and am seriously looking at Husson as my #1!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:20 AM

8 posts, read 14,881 times
There is a lot of good information and experiences being shared on this post. As stated, it boils down to a college's size and location, your potential majors, academic qualifications, and cost.

Colby, Bates, (Lewiston) and Bowdoin (Brunswick) are often grouped as 'similar' liberal arts, small, private, expensive, selective colleges. The guidance counselors tell us kids looking for this type school often visit/apply to all 3. About one out of three that apply get accepted these days. They are all very highly rated by those that do the ratings.
As stated, all 3 are all in the mid to high $40's/year if you read the guides.
I've not heard of the Colby $ program for in state students (as we're from MA) but it sounds interesting.

UMF may be a good alternative, as a smaller sized school that's reasonably priced. UMO is about 9000 undergrads, and is actually less costly (by several thousand per year) for out of state students to attend than UNH, U Vermont, or UConn would be for out of state students. UMO also seems to a great variety of clubs/activities, a great music program , a new rec center and a new/remodeled performing arts center that's opening up in February (if that's your thing).

Rule of thumb they tell the kids (common sense 101 !!), if you're totally undecided about what you want to study, a larger school/university will usually give you more academic options to explore, and you may not need to transfer out once you find a major you want to focus on.

The other key is visit, visit, visit ! Make sure you see the schools, and talk to lots of students to make sure it feels right to you and you think you could live there for 2/4 years.

Sorry for the long post, but we are going through this process now with our HS senior.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman0202 View Post
There is a lot of good information and experiences being shared on this post. As stated, it boils down to a college's size and location, your potential majors, academic qualifications, and cost.

Colby, Bates, (Lewiston) and Bowdoin (Brunswick) are often grouped as 'similar' liberal arts, small, private, expensive, selective colleges. The guidance counselors tell us kids looking for this type school often visit/apply to all 3. About one out of three that apply get accepted these days. They are all very highly rated by those that do the ratings.
As stated, all 3 are all in the mid to high $40's/year if you read the guides.
I've not heard of the Colby $ program for in state students (as we're from MA) but it sounds interesting.

UMF may be a good alternative, as a smaller sized school that's reasonably priced. UMO is about 9000 undergrads, and is actually less costly (by several thousand per year) for out of state students to attend than UNH, U Vermont, or UConn would be for out of state students. UMO also seems to a great variety of clubs/activities, a great music program , a new rec center and a new/remodeled performing arts center that's opening up in February (if that's your thing).

Rule of thumb they tell the kids (common sense 101 !!), if you're totally undecided about what you want to study, a larger school/university will usually give you more academic options to explore, and you may not need to transfer out once you find a major you want to focus on.

The other key is visit, visit, visit ! Make sure you see the schools, and talk to lots of students to make sure it feels right to you and you think you could live there for 2/4 years.

Sorry for the long post, but we are going through this process now with our HS senior.
We told our daughter(now a college sophomore) that looking out of state was not an option due to finances. We wanted to be able to swing college wth no debt!!! So far so good!

Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 AM

22 posts, read 57,611 times
Default Colleges in Maine

Am from Maine, maybe 12th generation. Went to Colby College (4th generation) for my BA, then to UMO for my MA. Have two nieces at Bowdoin. I do not know of many who pay for full tuition/room/board at private schools. Do the research and you'll find support provided you pass a means test. My neices, whose mother is a pediatrician in her private practice and is head of a hospital ped. dept do pay full costs. They work at the school. One in the library and one... heck I forget.

All Maine schools are give you some aspect of small city/town life. That's the nature of the state. You also have good instruction and with the net and net based libraries, if you are serious about your education, the world is open to you. Best of luck. Pls post what you've found out. I'd be interested.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:12 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,538 times
I am at UMFK now and I love it here. But first to get rid of lousy roommates...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine