Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:26 PM

182 posts, read 488,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Anyone else planning to attend the MOGFA Small Farm Field Day on May 31?
I live only a few miles from the MOFGA site and definately plan on being there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:32 PM

47,855 posts, read 21,881,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I love mine. I have a grass blade for mowing and a ditch blade for saplings. I bought mine from Carol at Scythe Supply in Perry. She takes measurements to fit the snath to you so that it's not too long or short. I tried two snaths before making a choice and had a lesson in mowing. It's not difficult once you get the hang of it. Once you get into a rhythm it's almost mindless work.
When I visited the Canterbury Shaker Village, the guide told how the brothers would gather at one end of the hay field with their sythes, and in unison move down and then back the other way and in one pass, mow the field.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
After having spent some time using a scythe, I can tell you that it really isn't as much fun as it looks. The price for the fuel is cheaper than for the brush cutter/weed whacker.
I'm with you! The bush hog on the back of the tractor makes real short work of the fields and small trees around here. Twice a year is all it takes!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:36 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,625,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
I live only a few miles from the MOFGA site and definately plan on being there.
Hopefully we will find eachother and can say hi! I won't be wearing my infamous "lost in an English flower garden" hat from the fair last year, that enabled Forest Beekeeper to recognize me, though. It's in storage... but I will have on a yellow t-shirt that says either "Dutch Hex Sign . com" or "Vision Internet Print Design" painted on the back... most likely the hex sign one... and my "Tillie" hat. I'm short, so remember to look down. <g>

Old 05-27-2008, 07:08 AM

I'm almost always wearing something German Shepherd related or our Two Canines logo on it. I might even have Heide with me.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:52 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,433,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
but I will have on a yellow t-shirt that says either "Dutch Hex Sign . com" or "Vision Internet Print Design" painted on the back... most likely the hex sign one...
Starwalker: We visited your web site! You do such beautiful work! I do hope that you get a lot of orders for your work. It cannot be fun at all to "live out of a storage unit". We did that in another life...and may need a hex sign someday to prevent it from happening again! Best of luck to you!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:17 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,320,588 times
Hope you two meet up. I won't be able to go. I promised Emily some outdoors things to do.

Tami~peachie

Old 05-27-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I'm almost always wearing something German Shepherd related or our Two Canines logo on it. I might even have Heide with me.
You might call to double check, but I know that for the Fair, dogs -- other than service animals -- are not allowed at all, not even in the parking lot in a vehicle and being taken out for walks and drinks as needed.

When I was up for the Fair, I was camping and had both of the two dogs I had at the time with me and nowhere reasonable or affordable to put them. the kennels that might have taken them had very restrictive hours and I would have essentially have boarded them for 2 days in order to have one day at the fair! I lucked out and a friend rode down to the Fair with me, then took my truck and the pups off for the day where she could sit and work on her laptop computer and the dogs were off site, with company and tended.

I am wondering what to do with our Brandi for the day... hummm... will talk to KAF tomorrow about renting her outside kennel, as we have no yard and I will not leave a dog tied out when no one is home. Not ever. Thanks for reminding me... Brandi usually rides along with us on day trips.

I'll keep my eyes open for a friendly looking "doggy" type human...

Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 PM

What breed is Brandi?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
What breed is Brandi?
Brandi is a 9 yr old St. Bernard; she was working in a puppy mill in NC... after 8 litters in as many years, last spring she weaned litter #8 in three weeks, making more work and less $$ for her owners, who put her on Freecycle.

She's been ours since June of last year, now "retired" thought we have yet to get her spayed. Her main jobs are herding cats (we have a few for her to keep track of) and holding down the floor. She really enjoys the Maine weather and though she is always on leash when outside, we have strung two LONG leashes together and when she is feeling frisky (often in the cool weather and early morning dew) she will grab a place on the leash and throw it around and play at tug-of-war with me.

The first time I saw her frisking like a puppy was the first day I let her out of the tent in the morning, on my fall vacation to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine