U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:04 PM

21,876 posts, read 28,700,485 times

Advertisements

I have found Maine winters plenty bright.

I do not have S.A.D.

Perhaps too many years living underwater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:15 PM

2,349 posts, read 3,520,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Cessna- check out light boxes vs. sun lamps. They're more effective. Yes, they say 20 minutes is all you need. Just Google SAD, there are many other options like a different type of light bulb for your regular lighting fixtures too, then name escapes me right now, but they're not much more expensive than regular bulbs. Good luck!
Thanks FLM!

I will look into that.........I don't know why I waited so long to decide this would be a good idea. I am gonna make sure I am ready for next winter.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:17 PM

2,349 posts, read 3,520,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have found Maine winters plenty bright.

I do not have S.A.D.

Perhaps too many years living underwater?

Do they adress the issue there in the silent service Forest? How about the lighting?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:13 PM

21,876 posts, read 28,700,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Do they adress the issue there in the silent service Forest? How about the lighting?
They did experiment with stuff; vitamin D, sun lamps, etc. But after many man-years of data, it seemed that the pay-back was not worth it. Lots of effort for very little return.

Lighting today is all fluorescent. Less wattage per hour. There will be times when subs run on battery power. So we must shut down all 'un-necessary' equipment, and conserve power as much as possible. Fluorescent lights allow us to maintain lighting, during these times, while using the least amount of power.

I think that S.A.D. is also related to high O2 levels. Bring the O2 down to 18% or 15% and your brain does not have the extra time to invent more loops to get into. Folks function well at reduced O2, for short 18 hour days. We require more sleep. But it allows us to still be highly focused and full of energy for a 6 hour work-shift, but about 2 hours after that shift and your dragging ready for bed.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:33 PM

231 posts, read 411,871 times
I would think that there are two things from what I can tell that would make winters in Maine actually very nice: for one, the snow that was mentioned would brighten things up and cover up all the dead dreariness, and secondly...Maine is the pine tree state- trees that infact stay green all year round. It makes it for less of a 'stick' season, no?? And I've seen those gorgeous red blueberry patches that stay that color through winter in photos too.... I'd take a red white and green winter anyday even if I did need the help of some lightbulbs on the side!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,703,395 times
It really is a light thing. It's the reason why men get the primal urge to hunt around the same time the deer go into the rut and the birds fly south. Football season replaces hunting for the more urban man these days. I tried the full spectrum lighting one winter....didn't work as well as beer but it is a lot cheaper. I still like hunting.... don't care much for football.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:48 AM

441 posts, read 596,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I think that S.A.D. is also related to high O2 levels. Bring the O2 down to 18% or 15% and your brain does not have the extra time to invent more loops to get into. Folks function well at reduced O2, for short 18 hour days. We require more sleep. But it allows us to still be highly focused and full of energy for a 6 hour work-shift, but about 2 hours after that shift and your dragging ready for bed.
That my be why I feel so confused, thoughts racing...too much oxygen! Too much clean, crisp air I'd better get back to the smog so I can calm down.

The sun is very bright here in the winter, even though the days get short. They say that people who work the evening shift (3 pm to 11 pm) do the best with the shortened days, because they have a chance to experience the sunlight longer before they have to go to work. Then they go to work when it's dark. That actually makes sense to me.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:23 AM

62 posts, read 130,516 times
Exclamation Did I say 07-08 was snowy?

It is difficult to believe from where I sit now that 07-08 was the snowiest winter in decades. I'd forgotten I'd written that. It was true, but this past winter topped it. We lost so many school days due to snow that school doesn't get out until tomorrow. This winter the snow started early, stayed and got heaped up and up. I wish I could upload a photo here. The snow was halfway up the windows of the school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammieLinda View Post
This past winter was the snowiest in decades. Having snow on the ground in winter helps brighten things up dramatically from the reflection of all that white. I find I need sun glasses just as much in the winter as summer. I find non-snowy winters brown, drab, and depressing. But we've had too many winters recently when most of the snow held off until almost March and even April. I don't want snow in March. I want it to be going away in March

The snow also seems to help insulate the ground, and there seems to be less sickness in a snowy winter as opposed to a dry one. But I have no proof of that.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:59 AM

164 posts, read 217,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Maine actually will be sunnier then Portland Or or Seattle Wa in the winter- since winter cyclonic storms on the west coast can bring days of rain, drizzle and fog.

As far as sun/light hours Portland Or and Portland Me will have about the same early sunset time in December; Portland Me will actually have a wee Maine actually will have the brighter of the climates as compared to Portland Or and Seattle.
We lived in Seattle (Bellevue), our slogan was "it's nice when summer falls on a weekend" Seattle was nice, but after 90 days of straight rain, and gloom... we did love the San Juans, mountains, waterfalls and lots to do with all festivals, but the gray skys day after day after day...well we moved to Fl. which was to drastic for us... We are early risers and love being outdoors, long undies, snow boots cozy turtlenecks and don't forget the warm coco with tia maria after a fun day in the snow.
Maine here we come..

Old 06-18-2009, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 8,034 times
I moved from Northern Vermont to Bath, Maine. One of the reasons for the move was that I am affected by SAD and the spot we lived in was depressingly cloud covered all winter, not to mention dumped with six feet of snow all the time.

We have found Bath, in particular, to be the exact opposite. During the winter it was blue skies and bright nearly every day unless it was actually snowing. I had very little problem with SAD, and it really, really boosted my spirits. There was not so much snow to be depressing and isolating, as it was up north. I'm sure people have told you that it depends where in Maine you go, as there are plenty of places in Maine I couldn't stand to live. But I can vouch that Bath is a great place for SAD sufferers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine