Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 06:40 AM

63 posts, read 55,216 times

Advertisements

May be going to Blue Hill to visit relatives soon, looking for things to do there or in the neighboring towns such as Ellsworth etc.

Bookstore, bar/pub, art gallery, and coffee shop suggestions all welcome as well as suggestions for places to swim or rent a small boat. Historical/cultural site recommendations welcome as well.

I get from google maps that it's a fairly quiet place but wouldn't mind having some ideas for places to go while I'm there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 09:14 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Ellsworth has one of my all-time favorite antique shops, Old Creamery. The owner is a super funny nice guy. I love their little downtown with brewpubs, gift ships and a nice gourmet food store.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:23 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Watch the reversing falls.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:25 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,856,699 times
Paint something, watch it dry.

Old 03-31-2022, 07:07 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,931 times
If you are visiting relatives who LIVE in Blue Hill, they should know.

Old 03-31-2022, 07:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
The Wilson Museum in Castine is very interesting, and while it's fairly small, it's impressive given the out of the way location. Down in Stonington, Barred Island Preserve and Sand Beach are very pretty, and you have to check out the harborfront in Stonington, which is very pretty and has a few cafes - it can be crowded there in summer but shouldn't be so this time of year - April is still pre-season.

Deep Water Brewing Co in Blue Hill has good craft beer and nice food at a fair price. Not many places to stop until you're down in Brooklin, but Parker Point Road in Blue Hill and then Falls Bridge Rd (Rte 175) is a real pretty drive and then you can visit the lovely Harriman Point Preserve and East Beach for a walk.

Swimming in Maine should be done in creeks, rivers, and ponds in the bottom lands for warmer water, but it doesn't warm up until summer, even there.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:35 PM

63 posts, read 55,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
If you are visiting relatives who LIVE in Blue Hill, they should know.
More of a vacation home sitch. But I've heard there's an abundance of decent restaurants for fish and chips.

Most intra-municipal travel to be done on foot or by bicycle, which looks manageable.

Old 04-01-2022, 10:27 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
The shops and restaurants might be of some interest, but the reversing falls is a RARE natural phenomenon. You will be on foot or bike, so watch it from the bridge like I did way back in the ‘70s. I counted the jellyfish that flowed through until the speed of the tidal bore made it too difficult to keep track...got to more than 400 jellies before I quit doing that. The word “bore” in that term has nothing to do with “boring” state of mind.

You have a chance to see something very coastal Maine-ish, unlike tourist shops.

While we’re on the subject of rare things, find an operating old-fashioned trestle bridge like the one at Trevett. That bridge was shown in the movie In the Bedroom (a very depressing movie, BTW—but good).

Old 04-01-2022, 11:09 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The shops and restaurants might be of some interest, but the reversing falls is a RARE natural phenomenon. You will be on foot or bike, so watch it from the bridge like I did way back in the ‘70s. I counted the jellyfish that flowed through until the speed of the tidal bore made it too difficult to keep track...got to more than 400 jellies before I quit doing that. The word “bore” in that term has nothing to do with “boring” state of mind.

You have a chance to see something very coastal Maine-ish, unlike tourist shops.

While we’re on the subject of rare things, find an operating old-fashioned trestle bridge like the one at Trevett. That bridge was shown in the movie In the Bedroom (a very depressing movie, BTW—but good).
Is there another "reversing falls" other than in Pembroke? That's the only one I know of.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:07 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Is there another "reversing falls" other than in Pembroke? That's the only one I know of.
Blue Hill has one and there may be one in S. Thomaston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine