Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

...and all the while, the USA is the *Saudi Arabia* of coal! We have a gazillion tons of coal here, which could power electrical plants, heat homes, even run some engines. We have quite a lot of oil in ANWR in Alaska, and quite a lot more of it in the Gulf - but we are not allowed to mine the coal, burn the coal, drill for the oil, or (heaven forbid!) build a new refinery (or 2 or 3) on US soil! We could power and heat all our homes and businesses with nuclear energy, which is clean and *safe* nowadays. We could reduce our dependence on foreign oil to the point where we use it just for transportation, thereby reducing the amount imported, reducing the demand, reducing the price.

WHY can't we do any of these things? Politics! I'm not going to get into which groups or agencies are standing in the way of common sense when it comes to energy use. Maybe Al Gore could tell you; I'm betting you already know. If all of this is being done in the name of environmentalism and *global warming*, then why is every attempt at using new technology being squashed from the get-go? The truth is, it has nothing to do with the environment or global warming. It has to do with politics, which has to do with money.

Until they squeeze every last cent of profit out of oil, don't expect any relief. This current batch of political candidates they're running ("The Three Stooges") certainly has NO plans to give the common folks any relief.

IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
...and all the while, the USA is the *Saudi Arabia* of coal! We have a gazillion tons of coal here, which could power electrical plants, heat homes, even run some engines. We have quite a lot of oil in ANWR in Alaska, and quite a lot more of it in the Gulf - but we are not allowed to mine the coal, burn the coal, drill for the oil, or (heaven forbid!) build a new refinery (or 2 or 3) on US soil! We could power and heat all our homes and businesses with nuclear energy, which is clean and *safe* nowadays. We could reduce our dependence on foreign oil to the point where we use it just for transportation, thereby reducing the amount imported, reducing the demand, reducing the price.

WHY can't we do any of these things? Politics! I'm not going to get into which groups or agencies are standing in the way of common sense when it comes to energy use. Maybe Al Gore could tell you; I'm betting you already know. If all of this is being done in the name of environmentalism and *global warming*, then why is every attempt at using new technology being squashed from the get-go? The truth is, it has nothing to do with the environment or global warming. It has to do with politics, which has to do with money.

Until they squeeze every last cent of profit out of oil, don't expect any relief. This current batch of political candidates they're running ("The Three Stooges") certainly has NO plans to give the common folks any relief.

IMHO.
Well stated and all very true! Vote....Bob Barr ...Libertarian for President!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:34 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
at the rate we burn it, most estimates are ANWR could satisfy our demand for <1yr. Therefore, it's pointless...law of diminishing returns prevails. Nuclear is too 'scary' for most Americans, nevermind that Europe is doing just fine by it...and paying 2x what we are for gas and they're not whining.

My understanding is there's not enough recoverable oil left to justify building new refineries, but there's a lot of money in upgrading & maintaining the current infrastructure.

The 3 Stooges would do well to start preaching simple living and conservation. Problem is, I doubt any of them would actually practice what they preach. Can you see Hilary driving a Toyota Yaris? McCain riding a scooter? Obama living in a 1500sq ft bungalow? Me either....

Old 05-22-2008, 02:25 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
how many farmes have to go out of buisness.if we lose the farms wheres the milk going to come from or the graine for flour .i beleave its just a matter of time before some other country dicides that we are weak enough and then they pounce.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:21 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
how many farmes have to go out of buisness.if we lose the farms wheres the milk going to come from or the graine for flour .i beleave its just a matter of time before some other country dicides that we are weak enough and then they pounce.
you ain't kidding....

I suppose we're a ways off from that, but it makes ya wonder....if the fuel shortage starts to hit our military machine, we're in a whole lotta trouble.

You should see the billion-dollar fuel contracts the military is securing for the future....we should be okay for now, and hope the day never comes when our military is running on fumes.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:41 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
if you drive downe the road and look you will see farm after farm gone.
i bet i can think of 25 farms that have gone under in the last 10 years.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The US government farm policy for as long as I can remember has been - Get big or get out. The point is to establish monopoly or near monopoly control over the US food supply system. Seems to be working. At least ADM is doing fairly well.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:52 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The US government farm policy for as long as I can remember has been - Get big or get out. The point is to establish monopoly or near monopoly control over the US food supply system. Seems to be working. At least ADM is doing fairly well.
Not everywhere. Maine Potato Growers used to run the Northern half of Maine. While they're still an influence they have no where near the clout they did 30 years ago.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:26 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
That "get big or get out" push from the USDA started in the 1950's. These days it's stay small or get lost for most new farmers. Small is good. It works very well for us.

I've been from Topsfield up through Danforth and Weston and other areas of Aroostook and northern Washington county today. There were three tractors turning over gardens in backyards I've never seen gardens planted.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:57 PM

10 posts, read 24,701 times
Hi all. You might want to read this site about Peak oil. Very scary info here.Peak Oil: Life After the Oil Crash (http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine