U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2008, 09:11 PM

2,133 posts, read 3,819,427 times

Advertisements

Nope, I'll never understand it. Even if they happened to wake me up, I would lay there listening to the sound for a few minutes and then they lull me back to sleep. Better than Ambien, that's for sure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,695,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Hey! A lot of people pay good money to hear all of that stuff! Might I suggest some earplugs? The nice big yellow ones that stick out about 1/2 inch, like the ones you wore the first time you went to see the Monster Truck show at the Civic Center. Or maybe the kind you see at worn in Louden in July and September, you know... the real pretty ones.

Poor, poor Maineah....
What did PT Barnum say about one born every minute. I wouldn't stay on the water if I ever had to pay . There are cheaper ways to lose a night's sleep I'm sure.
Ear plugs!? I have a box of 200 pair..seriously! I take ear plugs where ever I go. Mine are orange! It's the only way I can sleep anywhere but home.
Actually the camp is only eight miles from here so it's just as easy to come home than to listen to the waterfront alarm clock in the morning. That is unless we get into the wine a bit too much then I have to put up with the seals, flying rats, and the lobster boats. It can be rough on the nerves you know!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Nope, I'll never understand it. Even if they happened to wake me up, I would lay there listening to the sound for a few minutes and then they lull me back to sleep. Better than Ambien, that's for sure.
You say that but when the Tam-O-Shanter with it's big diesel is hauling traps 40 feet from your open front window at 5:00 AM you might change your mind! He always puts two strings in right by our dock and doesn't have any other close ones so when he leaves believe me you wake up! It's like having a cement truck sitting outside your window for fifteen minutes.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,869,296 times
Hmmm... let's see... PT Barnum... yes, he said there was a truly fascinating brilliant woman born every minute.

Yup, pretty sure that's exactly what he said.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Hmmm... let's see... PT Barnum... yes, he said there was a truly fascinating brilliant woman born every minute.

Yup, pretty sure that's exactly what he said.
I guess I've only met the ones born in between!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:22 PM

68 posts, read 120,290 times
Default Jeff from Ohio

What the heck. I'm coming to Maine in July. I'm gonna live there. I specifically don't want to become an indigenous Mainer. I'm Jeff from Ohio and that's what I'll always be. Why try to be something you're not?

What's important is that you become a part of the community and be a good neighbor. Then it doesn't matter if you're 'Jeff from Ohio'....you're just Jeff who is a good neighbor.

Think of it this way. If you moved to a different part of the country would you try to mimic the local accent or keep your own? If you try to fake the local accent that's how you'll look...like a fake.

Me....I'm a hillbilly from Appalachia and I have made great strides in terms of cleaning up my act. But one thing's for sure...you can take a boy outta the hills but you can't take the hills outta the boy.

This future Mainer is from Ohio and he'll be buried in Maine as Jeff from Ohio.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:10 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,869,296 times
Default Welcome Jeff!

Welcome to the Maine forum Jeff!

Yes, please do come and just be you. We'll be happy to have you and your hillbilly accent!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 AM

4,165 posts, read 5,251,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Emler View Post
What the heck. I'm coming to Maine in July. I'm gonna live there. I specifically don't want to become an indigenous Mainer. I'm Jeff from Ohio and that's what I'll always be. Why try to be something you're not?

What's important is that you become a part of the community and be a good neighbor. Then it doesn't matter if you're 'Jeff from Ohio'....you're just Jeff who is a good neighbor.

Think of it this way. If you moved to a different part of the country would you try to mimic the local accent or keep your own? If you try to fake the local accent that's how you'll look...like a fake.

Me....I'm a hillbilly from Appalachia and I have made great strides in terms of cleaning up my act. But one thing's for sure...you can take a boy outta the hills but you can't take the hills outta the boy.

This future Mainer is from Ohio and he'll be buried in Maine as Jeff from Ohio.
Well stated Jeff. As long as you DO NOT try to change the ways of the local people they will likely accept you. They prefer real people as opposed to plastic phonies that try to act like something they are not. Here in Kansas City, (my current home) these Flatlanders love goose steppers. Being yourself is not considered to be acceptable behavior and they try to force you to conform. You made a wise choice to move to Maine.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:19 AM

6,301 posts, read 8,152,991 times
Jeff observes:
"But one thing's for sure...you can take a boy outta the hills but you can't take the hills outta the boy."

I like hill people. No matter where they are from they prove to be industrious, inventive and just a bit wary, which I like. I know hill people from Maine, the Andes in Chile, Kentucky and Vietnam. They all have these admirable traits.

Country folks in general are like that, but hill people just have a touch more determination. It takes long experience to be able to make such observations.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,496,073 times
As a Tennessee born and raised country boy, I don't see any problems with fitting in with Mainers. In fact, my southern appalachian dialect is not too far from the downeast dialect. My people do not like to have their ways, nor their lifestyles analyzed by outsiders, and especially of ways they can do things better. Every area has developed its own unique ways of dealing with their community. Locals most always know what's better for them and their community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine