U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2008, 12:29 PM

8,748 posts, read 10,948,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Just a FWIW, the shorter and more concise the letter, the more likely they are to get to the end of it.

I'd shorten it by 1/2 to 2/3rds.
Where I attended school a letter was usually at least a page in length. What you are describing is a paragraph. I had too many points to make in a single ,non-rambling paragraph. My last response to the energy crisis was from Senator Collins and was nine pages in length.
I'll let her know she needs to shorten her responses.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-27-2008 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Dude be nice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 03:02 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,683,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I thought the speculators were anybody, including us if we wanted to, that bought oil futures.
Ahh yes, but the speculators have off-shore accounts and don't pay taxes on their gains.
We, on the other hand would be paying 30%+ tax on our profits.
As soon as the prices level off or drop, these gentlemen will pull their money out of oil and invest in real estate, corn or whatever is the latest hot commodity. Hopefully this happens soon.
Just a thought, maybe we can get the Eastport gang to launch a "floating bank" and we can all get into the speculation business.
FAQ

Old 05-27-2008, 03:22 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,969,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Just a thought, maybe we can get the Eastport gang to launch a "floating bank" and we can all get into the speculation business.
I like it. I got $5.00 to start.

Tami~peachie

Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,522,366 times
maybe we can get the Eastport gang to launch a "floating bank" and we can all get into the speculation business. [/quote]
you could call it bank of the working man or woman.
it could allso double as an off shore drilling rig for customers only.
but then youd have to worry about gov funded pirats. youd have to get forrest a sub to do patroles just a security precaution your money cant be to safe.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 AM

2,052 posts, read 2,717,879 times
The problem with so much speculation is the Leverage involved. The speculators buy Futures with little personal investment, just pennys on the dollar, and leverage the rest. There is talk of making them put up more of their own capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine