U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Maine: college, graduate, degree, diploma, teachers.

View Poll Results: Do you think students should march in if they miss it by one credit?
Yes 12 52.17%
No 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:48 PM

1,698 posts, read 2,043,995 times
Default Should Kids March In?

I've been out of highschool...ohhh for a while. I just found out this past month that the rules have changed in our area concerning students who don't graduate and are not allowed to march in with the class.

I wondered what most of you would say about this topic. Maybe I am looking at one side.

I live in a small area as well, everyone knows your name and your families.

I know a young man who did not make it by one class. He struggled and just couldn't get it.
He's taking it this summer, ( I hope he doesn't change his mind. It would be so terrible to give it all up for only one left to go).

He was so0oo upset about not being able to march in with his class that we wanted to and "kids say it.. DIE- kill him self etc".

Now.. getting off the suicide watch for now, ( his parents know and because they know he's acting alot more relaxed about it.)

I went to the superintendent last week and asked questions about this. I told him, when I marched in there were three young men that didn't graduate,( I only know this because it was brought up years later when we were all married and working- I knew one had gone back and completed his studies but it was personal for the others to talk about it.)

so anyways... they marched in with us, and were handed (no one but the families) an empty book that did not contain a dipolma.

In a small town area like mine, I believe that privacy is being harmed by not letting students attend this public exercise.

In our area, in 2000 the policy had changed so that seniors who did not make it, were not allowed to attend this exercise with their class mates.

Most students quit school because they would of rather have people say they quit then to think they are "stupid".
* I can see that kind of thinking. ~I quit because I say so, not because the school says I'm stupid.

It may only be a coincidence but drop out rates went up and so did crime with young people. I would have to triple check that rate of course.

What do you think. If students don't make the grade, is it some how similar to posting grades of the failing students.

The local paper just last week also showed students pictures for the class of 2008 and not all students were in that senior spot light.

What do you think?
Teens can keep things from Parents easily... would they kill themselves if thought they would be disappointing their families also because it basically becomes a public embarrassment? Kids shouldn't die because of something like this.

*p.s.
I graduated college two weeks ago, all of the 150 students that attended did not receive a diploma. I know with my grades I did it, but I don't know who didn't. It will be mailed to me.

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 05-27-2008 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: added p.s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 04:04 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,611,749 times
they should let him march and then he can make up the class this summer.its a petty bunch of people that are going to take this experance from this kid becouse of one class and the only answer he will get is its our pollacy.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:21 PM

227 posts, read 770,043 times
Well, I say YES, but I may be a little biased, since I marched with my class and proudly received a "fake diploma". I was in the top 10% of my class, but I still needed one more class in order to graduate. I think there were about 10 of us in my class of ~120 that were in the same situation. I went to summer school, and got my diploma in the mail a few months later.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,428,049 times
I said no, but I wanted to explain the reason behind it. First, When I went to school, I hated it.....I loved sports and the social thing, but my mind was not on learning. It wasn't until I got older that I developed and interest in education and went to college.

Anyways, with all my troubles.....I still graduated with out any problems. We had counselors that were consistently on top of us letting us know what we needed to do...which was basically pass all of our classes.

My brother in law is a HS history teacher, I have a 14 year old in school. I think the education today is much different then when we went.....1st...I think it is easier, 2nd I think they are way more flexible with grades. My brother in law tells me ALL the time how he HAS to let kids take make up exams, do extra work, ect. because their parents complained and that their son or daughter was going to fail.

So I do not see how anyone can get so close and not get the credits they need....they must have known way in advance of what was coming and what needed to be done. Yes, it is embarrassing, but far better to learn this life lesson now then later when it really counts.

But that is just my opinion....maybe I'd feel different if I was close to the situation.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:39 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,428,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbykt View Post
Well, I say YES, but I may be a little biased, since I marched with my class and proudly received a "fake diploma". I was in the top 10% of my class, but I still needed one more class in order to graduate. I think there were about 10 of us in my class of ~120 that were in the same situation. I went to summer school, and got my diploma in the mail a few months later.
Wow...........interesting point!! I hadn't thought if that happening............how does that happen?? When I went to school the ONLY way you didn't finish with enough credits was because you failed a class.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 PM

1,698 posts, read 2,043,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Wow...........interesting point!! I hadn't thought if that happening............how does that happen?? When I went to school the ONLY way you didn't finish with enough credits was because you failed a class.
One of the kids that didn't graduate was one who was in an accident wasn't able to finish his year intime. So he also quit with just a bit to go.
He felt like everyone gave up on him, even thou he did try. It was the Policy that kept him from being with his classmates and his will to finish up his classes that summer.
He became resentful.
Tami~peachie

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 05-27-2008 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: took away the e

Old 05-27-2008, 05:56 PM

34,052 posts, read 11,058,189 times
I didnt complete the language requirement at college and had to complete a semester of French for graduation. The school said I could march and receive a blank diploma....I chose not to....completed French in summer school and then got my diploma in the mail.

I also didnt graduate from graduate school; the ceremony got cancelled in protest of the masacre of the Kent State Students. I went up to BU later in the week and got my diploma in the deans office out of a cardboard box.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:24 PM

6,149 posts, read 7,834,816 times
Default Flip Side

We had a student in town who completed al the requirements to graduate at the end of her Junior year. The school would not give her a diploma. She got a transcript and went to college anyway. She was at the top of her freshman class in college. The school offered to let her march with the next year's class. Huh? All the kids she finished up with were in college or in the military. She graduated from college and made over $20 grand while the other kids she started out with were still in school. She may work two years and then go to med school.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM

227 posts, read 770,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I actually had more than enough credits, but because I moved away for a year and my school in Michigan had different requirements, my credits got a little screwed up. When I moved back to Maine, by the time my guidance counselor figured out that I was still missing one class there wasn't anything offered that I could take to fulfill the requirement, so I signed a contract agreeing to summer school in exchange for being allowed to "graduate" with my class that year.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM

7,392 posts, read 8,336,977 times
Yes....there's just too much that can happen to prevent it, and it could be a simple fix....Tami I had no idea that this was the ruling. It's ridiculous. It makes me wonder how many people are aware of this, and how this became the rule or law or whatever (I'm extremely tired and can't think straight!)....maybe a letter to the editor is in order?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine