U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,595,526 times

Advertisements

A bit more than a year ago, I wanted to go and walk on the new parcel that we had bought. It is an 18 acre parcel surrounded on three sides by other undeveloped parcels. My neighbor, the seller had told me that if I was going to go walking he advised carrying a firearm as there were at least three packs of coyotes in the area.

I called the County Sheriff and asked about the specifics of carrying a loaded pistol on my own property. The details that I was told were:

1. Carrying a loaded pistol or firearm in plain view is legal everywhere in Maine, except in a bar or liquor serving establishment.
2. Carrying a loaded pistol of firearm in plain sight is legal in an automobile. That means it must be in plain sight, and not in the glove box or under a bunch of newspapers.
3. Expending a firearm within 300 feet of a dwelling is NOT legal. IF there is a neighbor's dwelling within 300 feet of where you shoot, it IS legal is you are protecting yourself or your property AND have made the neighbor aware that you are shooting and why, and they have given you verbal permission. I asked about this specifically because we have had an instance of rabid foxes in this area, and I have been concerned for my cats.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 08:13 AM

5,826 posts, read 6,141,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am just saying that while some folks think I am wrong in this, and think that 300 feet is the appropriate distance. I would never be comfortable shooting a firearm within 100 yards of anyone's house.

I'm really starting to worry about you.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:32 AM

21,790 posts, read 28,218,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
I called the County Sheriff and asked about the specifics of carrying a loaded pistol on my own property. The details that I was told were:

1. Carrying a loaded pistol or firearm in plain view is legal everywhere in Maine, except in a bar or liquor serving establishment.
2. Carrying a loaded pistol of firearm in plain sight is legal in an automobile. That means it must be in plain sight, and not in the glove box or under a bunch of newspapers.
3. Expending a firearm within 300 feet of a dwelling is NOT legal. IF there is a neighbor's dwelling within 300 feet of where you shoot, it IS legal is you are protecting yourself or your property AND have made the neighbor aware that you are shooting and why, and they have given you verbal permission. I asked about this specifically because we have had an instance of rabid foxes in this area, and I have been concerned for my cats.
My bad then, thank you for the correction and setting us straight.

300 feet it is.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:33 AM

21,790 posts, read 28,218,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I'm really starting to worry about you.
Uh, thank you.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:52 PM

2,990 posts, read 3,406,552 times
As others have noted, in most places away from cities you will likely be OK, within the distance limits (coming into Bangor on Union St. you will notice a sign that advises that the discharge of firearms is prohibited, even though it is still somewhat rural in that spot).

One of the things I was looking for when I was looking for property was that being able to shoot was a MUST HAVE. On smaller lots you will want to take note of the lay of the land, prefferably having a hill to use as a backstop so that you aren't throwing lead into an area where other people might be...and you not being able to see that they are there.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:05 AM

2,059 posts, read 2,647,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
The law is 300' from a dwelling. Some towns/citys have ordinances. Basically obey the law and you are fine. The Maine Constitution actually protects the right to bear arms.
300'=100yrd well atleast it did back when i went to school.
300'=91 meter's

Old 05-31-2008, 12:30 PM

8,757 posts, read 11,555,188 times
I believe you just have to have a little courtesy and common sense when you shoot in your back yard.
Pick a time like mid day or early afternoon during the week if possible. You're less likely to bother folks at this time. No one wants to listen to HOURS of shooting. If you limit your self to a half hour every couple of weeks you'll keep your eye sharp for hunting season or hone your handgun handling skills and will have happy neighbors to boot!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 AM

6,227 posts, read 8,011,223 times
Having a loaded pistol in your vehicle is only legal if you have a permit to carry concealed weapons. This is true whether it is in plain sight or not. Obviously anybody can carry an unloaded pistol in a vehicle.

Just don't want anybody to get fined or lose his pistol based on what they saw here.

Then there is Portland where human rights are disregarded. Portland police make a big display from time to time by hassling law abiding citizens. The latest one they tried to make an example of is an Eagle Scout and solid citizen. They do this to intimidate law abiding citizens into not exercising their rights. Many citizens too easily give up their rights. The "authorities" are counting on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine