U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:05 PM

264 posts, read 436,087 times
Default Laws on shooting on your own land?

Does anyone know the laws/rules about shooting on your own land? Is it just different town by town? I have been looking at lot after lot (just online - sent by realtor)... and some says "subdivision" yet 4-5 acres and no restrictions.... some just say rural.....when exactly is it ok? How much land do you need to be able to? I don't want to waste any of our time or the realtors when we come up with lots it isn't even possible on because thats something we are looking for in a lot. Should I just call the town and ask for each lot?

Maybe some of you know some of these answers.

Sorry for so many questions!

Jaime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 05:18 PM

6,137 posts, read 7,810,855 times
My neighbor shoots skeet off his back deck which is attached to his house. If you have 5 acres out in the country you should be OK. However, if you are in the middle of a lot of 5 acre lots in a subdivision you are likely to have somebody complain. How close to Main Street do you need to be? Many towns have large lots not that far out where you are free to do what you want.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 PM

264 posts, read 436,087 times
We don't need or want to be right on top of "main street" in whatever town we end up. I just don't know exactly what the layout of these lots are I am looking at online and even if they say 5 acres.... would it maybe still be a town law for it not being allowed, or is it pretty much allowed as long as your on your own 5 acre lot. Also, when I think of a subdivision..... I think of a small little neighborhood of houses all bunched together.... but I have seen "subdivision" on lots of over 5 acres! LOL So Of course it would cause problems if that close..... I am hoping we'll find a lot thats more off and private I guess. Close enough to drive into "town" and drive to Bangor or another "city with options" at least weekly for stuff we want/need, but enough on its own for our privacy and people to not complain about gun shots.

I guess we'll have to probably just use a lot of time doing quick run bys of lots that would not even be possabilities because we'd need to see the layout of not only the lot in question, but how close other people's lots would be near us.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:35 PM

21,654 posts, read 27,573,754 times
With the exception of your own house, just stay 100 yards away from any other house and you should be fine.

I shoot from my house windows, and mostly anywhere on my land. I only have one corner of my land where I would be within 100 yards of a neighbor's house. So I don't shoot there.

If you go to a township that is 'organized' [with clerks and inspectors and a list of folks getting salaries on your tax bill] then you can expect those salaried folks to be trying to earn their salary by making life hard on you.

Unorganized townships have none of that junk. Nobody local living on your taxes, and nobody making up new laws to tell you how to live.

Organized townships tend to be denser populated, more folk, packed in tighter, and you may have a harder time finding a place to shoot that is 100 yards away from everything.

Unorganized townships tend to be rural, less populated. Maine has townships with densities down to only 9 people per square mile, or lower. Certainly more deer and more turkey than people.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:28 PM

2,052 posts, read 2,816,390 times
The law is 300' from a dwelling. Some towns/citys have ordinances. Basically obey the law and you are fine. The Maine Constitution actually protects the right to bear arms.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:29 PM

655 posts, read 1,097,149 times
Like dmyankee says, it's 300 ft from a dwelling, but each municipality can and may have an ordinance regarding discharging a firearm. Even in a rural town, you may see a sign beside the road stating something like "Urban Line"...that probably marks the location of where it is illegal to discharge a firearm. I remember a few years back a guy got written up for shooting a deer on his land because it was within the "Urban area" defined in the town's ordinance...and where the guy live was very rural. Some towns will have an ordinance, some won't.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
The law is 300' from a dwelling. Some towns/citys have ordinances. Basically obey the law and you are fine. The Maine Constitution actually protects the right to bear arms.
You sure?

I thought it was 100 yards.

Maybe it is 300', I think I would prefer 100 yards though.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 PM

1,591 posts, read 1,017,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You sure?

Don't cha know!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:54 AM

2,059 posts, read 2,606,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You sure?

how many feet are in 100 yards??

Old 05-30-2008, 06:32 AM

I am just saying that while some folks think I am wrong in this, and think that 300 feet is the appropriate distance. I would never be comfortable shooting a firearm within 100 yards of anyone's house.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine