U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,271 times
Default Sail Chartering in Maine

I am looking to charter a sailboat for a couple weeks in Aug in Maine with my family (wife and two boys 6&8). Never been there but the sailing looks great. Can anyone recommend a reliable yacht charter company - looking for 30-36 ft sloop.

Also, any info on the different sailing grounds - pros and cons. We like less crowded cruising areas - crabbing, collecting oysters and clams, visiting quaint villages and the occasional warm sandy beach.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 AM

169 posts, read 354,091 times
do you mean captain it yourself?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:28 AM

Yes. I am looking for a bareboat charter

Old 05-30-2008, 11:46 AM

121 posts, read 249,472 times
Here's one company:
Bareboat Charters Midcoast Maine - Johanson Boatworks

Don't know much about them but we have a Cape Dory 36 and that would be a fine boat for a family cruise.

The location is good as well, Rockland is in Penobscot Bay which is the heart of Maine's cruising grounds. You could easily go to Acadia, and tons of places more deserted from there. It's a great base to start with. You could go west toward Boothbay as well.

There are some good cruising guides for Maine...the book by Taft is the best.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:41 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,611,749 times
i like to sail its fun . one time we went up to moose head and ranted a boat saild around a cpl hours then we lost the wind and sat there for about 2 hrs or so.my wife said whats hapening my reply to her was well dear we just ran out of sail boat fuel.
that didnt go over well.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the info

Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,971,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
i like to sail its fun . one time we went up to moose head and ranted a boat saild around a cpl hours then we lost the wind and sat there for about 2 hrs or so.my wife said whats hapening my reply to her was well dear we just ran out of sail boat fuel.
that didnt go over well.
LOL! Pack oars next time Or, start blowing real hard....

Old 05-31-2008, 07:05 AM

527 posts, read 1,532,448 times
Are you looking to sail downeast? Hinckley Yacht Charters is very popular....they're out of Southwest Harbor which put you close to some of the greatest sailing grounds in the world. But are you very experienced? Sailing the coast of Maine is very challenging, especially east of the Sheepscot River, which is where the best sailing is. Lots of hidden ledges, strong currents, heavy fogs which come up quickly...not for the inexperienced or faint of heart .

Old 05-31-2008, 07:55 AM

108 posts, read 269,611 times
You will LOVE sailing in Maine. I used to sail in Casco Bay until we sold our sailboat but I would highly recommend Penobscot Bay for the most interesting places to sail, anchor and explore.

Here is a couple of websites that might help you out:

Points East, the New England Cruising Magazine

Maine Harbors

ps: what Toria said is absolutely right..be prepared for fog and make sure whoever you chart from provides charts ..you need to be experienced in reading charts to stay out of trouble on the coast of Maine

Good luck and have fun!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:48 AM

Thanks for all of your info. I was thinking of starting around Penobscot Bay. It looked very interesting.

I used to own a catalina 30 and sailed for many years out of Vancouver, Canada in the Gulf Islands. From what I can see it looks to be similar sailing - large tides, large currents, lots of rocks. I haven't sailed much in fog though. I think that I will stay at anchor until it burns off. How much fog is there in August? Is it common to be socked in for days at a time or does it usually burn off by noon??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine