U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:15 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,050,926 times

Advertisements

I am attempting to sell our Toyota Sienna on Craig's List. I am curious if any of you have experiences using Craig's to relate. Any luck, successes or total disasters? Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 11:02 PM

182 posts, read 318,856 times
CL vs Uncle Henry's.....

Our move to Maine has given us reason to need quite a few things we've never required in the past. My best deals have been found on CL but conversely I also find a great deal more freedom used with assurances regarding whether or not the item is fully functional vs Uncle Henry's. And it also seems that on Uncle Henry's if it's still listed it's still for sale. Not the case with CL. I begin my inquiry for anything I see on CL by asking if it's even still available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
I am attempting to sell our Toyota Sienna on Craig's List. I am curious if any of you have experiences using Craig's to relate. Any luck, successes or total disasters? Any tips?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:14 PM

227 posts, read 787,250 times
We've sold 2 cars on CL here in California. It's pretty much the most common way to sell a used car out here. I look to see if there are other similar cars in my area for sale and then try to price my car accordingly- not too much lower so that people wonder what's wrong with it, but enough to make it stand out. Unfortunately, this might not be the best time to be trying to sell a car, but I hope so for your sake!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:39 PM

222 posts, read 354,075 times
Default Craigslist

I have made about 50 purchases from Craigslist-though all in Austin Texas. Maine has been tough to use craigslist as there is so much distance between where I am (VERY Northeast) and where all the "stuff"is in the Portland area. But, if you are close to Portland go for it. We love old "vintage" stuff and most of the furniture in our house has been collected (very reasonably priced to boot) from craigslist sellers. We also have sold cars, RV's, and even a small out building on the 'list. So, if you are close to Portland try it! Also, since we have been here we have used Ebay and been able to pick up large items in the Bangor area and have also used Uncle Henrys. So between all three one of them should work for you.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:11 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,775,986 times
I've been looking for a car on Craig's list, but as the math teacher points out, most of the listings are far away from where I am, and mostly in the southern part of the state. I did see and inquire about one in Sedgwick, which is just a few miles from me..

I still love UH's, though... it's a Thursday night must-have.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:47 PM

2,133 posts, read 3,829,956 times
We've had great luck out here in WI using CL. I haven't looked for anything to buy but everything we have listed for sale or free has been snapped up immediately.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:26 PM

112 posts, read 177,094 times
I live outside Boston and bought an old whiskey barrel near Portland by just Googling C/L here in mass. I posted a slide in camper for free , and had over 20 inquires on it ,not counting the three that wanted to send Me $ 5000 for it. The person that did take it , insisted I take $ 200 for it ( ??? ) . It is now at a Deer Camp somewhere in Northern Me. , but My lips are sealed .
I picked up a mint 97 Dodge pick up truck this morning ( that I found at 3:00 AM ) from central Mass. after searching " everyplace " for over 3 month's .
Bob

Old 06-02-2008, 12:23 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,050,926 times
Thanks everyone for their awesome stories and feedback!

I have spent probably 8 hors in total with three different interested buyers.I am only asking for a fair price- I am not trying to make a killing!
I think my price may be too low- people keep insisting there is something wrong with the vehicle. Isn't that a sad reflection on our society that you expect everyone to be lying or covering up? I am only asking for a fair price- I am not trying to make a killing!

Bandit, what did you mean by googling C/L? What is C/L

Old 06-02-2008, 01:08 PM

283 posts, read 759,541 times
Default Searching craigslist

Moughie,
I think he means doing a search on Craigslist. "Google C/L".
The problem I've had is folks not showing up when they say they will. I've purchased and sold here in NC. I just emplore them to call if they don't want to come so I don't sit and wait for them. I think next time I would say "the item will be shown between 1 and 4 on Saturday" when I know I'll be home.
Maybe beacause it feels more annonymous with email people don't have common curteousy that they might when they speak on the phone.
There are some bait and switch types out there so some folks have ended up being a little paranoid with your car maybe.
Peace

Old 06-02-2008, 01:31 PM

10,427 posts, read 30,089,411 times
CL can be great because it is free but because it is free means you will get many scammers. spammers, criminals and idiots.

If you place an ad in CL to sell something you can bet your house that you will get dozens and dozens of replys with the old Nigerian 211 scams in some variation.

Your car is selling for $1000 and the scammer will tell you in the worst grammar you will ever find that he will send you a check for $2000 and you must Western Union him back some change in a check for just $500 and keep the rest for your trouble. His check is bad but you wont find out till you sent him your $500 and his check bounces days later. Then you are responsible for it to your bank.

There are many variations to these scams. Some one must be falling for it because they keep on sending them. Another good tip is if they say they are from Nigeria or anyplace for that matter but their e-mail has a "uk" in it meaning the mail originated from the UK, you know it is a scam.

I have sold inexpensive things that cost $50 yet you have Nigerians wanting you to ship it to Nigeria at shipping costs exceeding $500.

To the last poster mentioning the sex for sale. I am not for making sex illegal like the cops want to but you have to know many many of those ads are posted by cops looking to entrap innocent citizens looking to buy, sell or trade legal services like sex. Be careful. Also many CL sexual related ads are not ads at all but rather just posts fishing for e-mails. Go ahead and answer one. Within days your email will be sold to every spammer on earth and you will see your daily inbox fill up to capacity. Most will be sexual related but not all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine