U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-01-2008, 07:14 PM

8,748 posts, read 10,953,311 times
Default Road Kill

I'd never steer to hit a deer or flatten out a frog
I'd roll the car to miss a cat or someone elses dog.
Sometimes collisions can't be helped no matter what you do.
And road kills happen every day, when was the last for you??

When was the last time you accidently hit something on the road?

I hit a chipmunk on my motorcycle today and it made me wonder how often other folks have run-ins with creatures on our Maine roads?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:22 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,523,309 times
the last thing i hit was a 768lb moose.in 1996 i was on my way to st.auralee quabec with a load of logs.it was around 4am just out side of jackman fields and there she was.
mid january is cold while your wateing for a tow truck.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:24 PM

21,328 posts, read 26,211,434 times
About a week ago I hit a rabbit.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
the last thing i hit was a 768lb moose.in 1996 i was on my way to st.auralee quabec with a load of logs.it was around 4am just out side of jackman fields and there she was.
mid january is cold while your wateing for a tow truck.
Was there ANYTHING LEFT OF IT! (THE MOOSE THAT IS)

Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
About a week ago I hit a rabbit.
Was it too mangled to eat? (yes I have eaten road kill rabbits)

Old 06-01-2008, 08:51 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,591,357 times
I've never hit anything real substantial, but have a funny road kill story.

A few years ago the lobstermen on the island were all having a good season but kept messin' with each other. They were putting crazy stuff in each others traps. Shoes, halloween masks, baseballs and some other less than desirable items, just having fun. I got an urgent phone call from my sister the day before I was headed up, she needed assistance in taking part in this prank. Yes, you guessed it. DH and I loaded up the truck complete with a shovel and a few big green trash bags. We had been instructed to stop and pick up every piece of road kill we could find between Harpswell and Stonington. You should have seen the looks we got along Rt 3 between Augusta and Belfast. We were hysterical while scraping up this.... stuff. Some of it was quite nasty, been sitting in the hot sun for a few days... pretty ripe. Thank god we had a truck and could throw this carnage in the back. We arrived on the dock in Stonington and she was there to pick us up. We threw it up on the stern and headed out, holy god, it was one miserable trip down the bay. We couldn't get rid of that stuff soon enough. She won the prize that year for pi$$ing off her friends!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:02 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,870,684 times
Mermaid, all can say is you are a wonderful sister! She definitely owes you one after that

Old 06-01-2008, 09:11 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,523,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Was there ANYTHING LEFT OF IT! (THE MOOSE THAT IS)
she was pritty banged up.the truck was in the shop for 2 months.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
I've never hit anything real substantial, but have a funny road kill story.

A few years ago the lobstermen on the island were all having a good season but kept messin' with each other. They were putting crazy stuff in each others traps. Shoes, halloween masks, baseballs and some other less than desirable items, just having fun. I got an urgent phone call from my sister the day before I was headed up, she needed assistance in taking part in this prank. Yes, you guessed it. DH and I loaded up the truck complete with a shovel and a few big green trash bags. We had been instructed to stop and pick up every piece of road kill we could find between Harpswell and Stonington. You should have seen the looks we got along Rt 3 between Augusta and Belfast. We were hysterical while scraping up this.... stuff. Some of it was quite nasty, been sitting in the hot sun for a few days... pretty ripe. Thank god we had a truck and could throw this carnage in the back. We arrived on the dock in Stonington and she was there to pick us up. We threw it up on the stern and headed out, holy god, it was one miserable trip down the bay. We couldn't get rid of that stuff soon enough. She won the prize that year for pi$$ing off her friends!
Nice...my dinner came back up for a short visit on that one!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:18 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,870,684 times
Oh dear, I must confess.

One summer when driving from the thriving metropolis of Gray to Stowe, VT, I hit a mammal in New Hampshire. It was a cat. I was heartbroken. I parked my vehicle and walked around to the homes ( not too many on Rte 26) to inquire if they had a missing cat. No one could identify it. I laid it gently by the side of the road and shed some tears. I guess it is the maternal instinct in me that made me obsess about some small child looking for its missing cat. I hope never to repeat that experience.

Now bugs, are fun to smash on the windshield and road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine