U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:20 PM

474 posts, read 921,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I was paddling with a friend down in Kokadjo and there was a big fallen pine at the edge of the lake. There was a big bull moose standing in the water by the overturned root system. I quietly paddled up to the tree trunk and we sneaked along the fallen trunk until we got to the roots. The moose was right there. We stood up and were face to face with the moose like two neighbors over a back yard fence. My friend said, "Hey Moose!" The moose was so surprised he fell down with a huge splash. We nearly fell off the log laughing. The moose ran off in the other direction.
I wish you had a video of that! You would definitely win America's Funniest Videos! Now, we know that he we are startled by a Moose in wild - we'll just say ""Hey Moose" AND hope he falls over - giving us enough time to run for our lives! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 03:52 AM

112 posts, read 176,739 times
My family use to own a camp on Little Bear Pond in Hartford , I was driving with a " new "' girlfriend ( Her first trip to maine ) through the apple orchids , when She said , " there's a runaway horse coming up on My side .
It pulled along side and looked in at her through Her open window , then pulled ahead and crossed in front of us into the orchid . I can't repeat what She said , When She realized it was a Moose , but I wish I had a picture of Her face !
Bob

Old 06-06-2008, 12:44 PM

2,052 posts, read 2,895,183 times
Default Even the cops are hitting them!

MaineToday.com | News Update: Moose-crash victims escape serious injury

Old 06-06-2008, 04:15 PM

1,698 posts, read 2,098,909 times
I am always on Route 9 so this is a toughie.
This monday... instead of going to Bangor... I'm staying close to home.
Thanks for the post dmyankee.

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 06-06-2008 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-09-2008, 12:38 PM

230 posts, read 661,903 times
Default albino moose pix

My mom sent me these pix a few months ago and said that the photographer was from Maine, but that could differ, depending on who you ask. I found someone had posted them on the NH thread. Check them out!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Old 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,364,429 times
Interesting photos. My only thought is what is that bird in one of the photos? I think the third one. Does not look like any bird I've seen around these parts.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:44 PM

230 posts, read 661,903 times
People from Maine, New Hampshire, Montana, and British Columbia (and maybe more) have posted those photos on the internet and taken credit for them. Maybe the bird holds the answer!

Anyway, I just thought they were really cool pictures, no matter where they were taken. I lived in moose country for many years, but Lord knows if I ever saw one of them in my backyard I would probably think I was seeing a ghost!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,586,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
People from Maine, New Hampshire, Montana, and British Columbia (and maybe more) have posted those photos on the internet and taken credit for them. Maybe the bird holds the answer!

Anyway, I just thought they were really cool pictures, no matter where they were taken. I lived in moose country for many years, but Lord knows if I ever saw one of them in my backyard I would probably think I was seeing a ghost!
I had inlaws early on, who lived outside of Kenai, AK and they had more than one in their yard, from time to time. They lived right next to the Kenai Moose Reserve or some such...

They thought it was pretty cool...

Old 06-09-2008, 03:48 PM

55 posts, read 172,801 times
Default Black-billed magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Interesting photos. My only thought is what is that bird in one of the photos? I think the third one. Does not look like any bird I've seen around these parts.
That bird looks to me like a black-billed magpie, which is common in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. There is also a large number of moose in the northern Colorado Rockies. My guess is that is where these photos were made.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:56 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,364,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post

I would think I was too. Probably would drive me to drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine