Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 11:40 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times

Advertisements

Could something similar to NY House Bill 10942 be on the horizon in Maine? Will Mainers be able to prevent this kind of legislation from being passed into law in Maine?

NY state residents - Stop Bill 10942 - CARM.ORG - Christian Discussion Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 01:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
Not a big deal at all. You can exempt yourself for reasons outlined in the bill.

Vaccinations are a great thing. Herd immunization has been the backbone of modern disease prevention. That is when a statistical number within the population receive vaccines, and that will prevent the spread of diseases.

I encourage all to get vaccinated. The Thimerisol controversy is a scam, and can be shown as statistically irrelevant, as a cause of other abnormalities. (Just in case this is where this is going.) Correlation and causation are two different things.

My $0.002, anyway.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:43 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
I don't have kids so the whole thing is irrelevant to me.

Regarding Thimerasol, however. I had all my vaccinations as a kid (early 1960's). It was discovered when I was a teenager that I am allergic to Thimerasol (contact lens solutions used to contain it). I am not autistic.

I'm not sure what is the reason behind the increase in autism but I have a hard time pointing to Thimerasol as the sole cause.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:50 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
as a mom of 5, I did have my kids vaccinized, but not necessarily on the schedule-du-jour ( every few years "they" change when is the optimal time for the various shots) and certainly not in a "cattle call" immunization drive.

We had a very pro-active doctor who -- when I spoke with him on one occasion -- about shots for the current youngest urged me to wait a bit for one of them, I don't recall which. He said there had been a "disconcerting" number of adverse reactions to that particular serum showing up and he thought there might have been issues with one or more batches of the medicine. He said he would give the shot if I wanted, but suggested that we wait until her next visit for that one, which we did. I appreciated his candor.

Later, my #4 daughter had a VERY BAD reaction to the DPT shot. Apparently a reaction to the pertussis component. She was just crying and crying screaming and wouldn't settle and my husband urged me to call the doc when he got home, about an hour after we left the doctor's office. When I described her behavior, he insisted that we take her immediately to the local hospital, but not check into the ER but that he would meet us in the front lobby with an antidote. Apparently her reaction was sever enough that he feared the wait in ER would not serve us well.

She fell asleep on the way to the hospital but this was NOT a good sign; he did meet us, literally gave her the shot before we got off the door mat, and then checked her over and sat with us for about half an hour there in the lobby, watching her and making sure she did not fall deeper out of it. Everything was fine in the end but I can see many points at which the outcome might have been quite different.

She got DT shots from then on and never had a problem; no one else in the family had an adverse reaction to pertussis either...

The bottom line is, I think, that we must be responsible and conscious consumers of medical care, not blind sheep. I am all in favor of education and motivational campaigns for immunization and other health care issues, making things affordable so no one who wants/needs must go without but I rail at the idea of being required... period...

Starwalker (who lived in an anarchy community for 10 years and did just fine)

Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Option A: nobody gets vaxxed, most folks get a disease; 10 out of every 1,000 die, and another 10 are maimed in some manner.

Option B: everyone gets a vaxx; 0.1 out of every 1,000 die, and 10 out of every 1,000 are maimed.

"Hamburger, cheeseburger"

"six one way, or a half-dozen the other way"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine