U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:20 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,810,546 times

Advertisements

We're going to try and find someone to stay in our house over the winter at a greatly reduced rental rate and have them keep the heat and all utilities on - It's a good trade-off for someone who needs a place to live through the winter. Downside is finding someone who will take care of our house and not tear it up or not pay the oil and utilities bills - that's going to take a bit more thinking on our part to see if it's what we should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:21 AM

2,712 posts, read 3,541,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I saw a story the other night that compared ownership costs between vehicles and their own hybrid option (accord vs hybrid accord) The best deal was the prius and it took 5 years to get your money back, the worst was the lexus which would take 63 years.

FYI....I had webber energy come over and give me a sales pitch for the on demand hot water heater....I want to say that to buy it and have installed was under 5k but I cant remember how much. It was one of the better ones out there, a Rinnai. My point is I asked them to give me a rental price. They came back at $35 a month....no lease, no other fee's!! I can call them anytime to come in and take it out. For me...it was a much better deal.

I do like it....I havent heard of a solar preheater??,
When we get to going, we will buy the on-demand heater at Lowes or Home Depot and install it ourselves. We've both installed propane stuff.. I would not be worried for either of us to do it solo... the "solar preheater" is something we will design; basically a solar water heater that will feed a tank from which the on-demand draws. Even if the solar isn't working (depending on how it is designed, you can get passive solar heating to a remarkable degree on a bright overcast day but full clouds will not help) just having the hot source in the house to warm to "room temp" will save energy and/or get hotter water.

Re:cars; we did not have a new car budget... and one thing that we noted on the hybrids (as well as most new cars of the conventional variety, it seems) is that there is little owner maintenance possible. When dealing with someone on a fixed income these become serious considerations.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:51 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,478,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
the "solar preheater" is something we will design; basically a solar water heater that will feed a tank from which the on-demand draws.

Ok, I see what you mean. I was thinking something specifically designed for the on demand. So basically a solar hot water system that feeds into a tank. I wonder if you could use an old electric hot water tank for the storage? I still got my old one laying around.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:03 AM

2,712 posts, read 3,541,674 times
Quote:
Ok, I see what you mean. I was thinking something specifically designed for the on demand. So basically a solar hot water system that feeds into a tank. I wonder if you could use an old electric hot water tank for the storage? I still got my old one laying around.
I would think so... We used to use one with our wood stove... but it was not my project... it came with the house...

Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM

21,790 posts, read 28,218,684 times
Quote:
... FYI....I had webber energy come over and give me a sales pitch for the on demand hot water heater....I want to say that to buy it and have installed was under 5k but I cant remember how much. It was one of the better ones out there, a Rinnai. My point is I asked them to give me a rental price. They came back at $35 a month....no lease, no other fee's!! I can call them anytime to come in and take it out. For me...it was a much better deal.
I spoke with a salesman about a Rinnai when we came up here.

I was told that we needed to be in a city, and to have our water tested by them; before our warranty would be valid.

It was explained to me that without municipal water filtering and treatment, they simply would not warranty their water heater.

We have used them before, both living in Scotland and in Italia. We do like using on-demand water heaters.

The salesman was also not confidant that their units would function well feeding a radiant floor system, that the load might be to big, it would simply be working to hard to keep up with demand.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:22 AM

21,790 posts, read 28,218,684 times
I could use anyone's old 'discarded' water heater tank.

This past winter the tanks that we were using as a thermal bank, each blew out their seams. We will likely require four water-heater tanks.

If anyone has a spare, feel free to let me know.

thank you

Old 06-09-2008, 06:51 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,647,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I could use anyone's old 'discarded' water heater tank.

This past winter the tanks that we were using as a thermal bank, each blew out their seams. We will likely require four water-heater tanks.

If anyone has a spare, feel free to let me know.

thank you
i have two 40 gal and one 30 gal forest

Old 06-09-2008, 11:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,010,574 times
Default Small efforts

We try to consolidate errands in one major run. Both our girls found summer employment nearby t a local community pool as lifeguards. They carpool with friends when shifts coincide.

Also, bearing in mind the time of use energy programs here, I keep the ac at a higher temp during peak hours ( 1 - 9:00 pm.) Also we use the ceiling fans during peak hours, thereby requiring less cool ac. I throw in a load of laundry and turn on the dishwasher during non-peak hours.

Sun shades and sun screens cover our windows on the outside and plantation shutters hang on the inside. I bought the cheap bamboo blinds to hang on some outside windows for extra coverage from the relentless sun.

We water the lawn and flowers after the sun goes down.

My girls and I cull through the closet and find bags of clothes to take to either the consignment store or local thrift shops. They have learned to look for treasures at both!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:56 AM

143 posts, read 303,105 times
Wash clothes in cold water. (have always done this though).
Stopped using my dryer - I hang my clothes outside or in the bathroom.
Changed all my lightbulbs to Compact Fluorescent lightbulbs.
Not only turn off all thing I'm not using, but unplug them too.
Am trying to remember to use my presure cooker more often.
Cook in bulk and then use the microwave to reheat food.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:49 AM

6,227 posts, read 8,011,223 times
Buy a "Kill A Watt" device and put it in-line to some of your appliances. It records the actual power your device uses over 24 hours or longer. Your old VCR that is plugged in and not running may use more power in 24 hours than your newer refrigerator uses. Even all those little cell phone and other chargers you have plugged in use power.

You can get the device at Home Depot or other building supply places. Your local hardware store may have one.

http://www.discountpv.com/meters/p4400.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine